Will I see a difference between a 20 and 18 degree hybrid?

leftyrighty

Reaction score
Handicap
So I am looking for something to use other than a 3 wood, as wood shapes have never really fit me. I was thinking of going with a strong hybrid, but I am not sure. My 3 iron hybrid is a 20 degree and I was thinking of a 18 or 16 degree hybrid. Not looking to spend a ton, as this is an experiment. Hard to find a 16 degree that I'd like but I can find an 18 pretty easy.

Will I see enough distance out of an 18 versus a 20 to warrant carrying both?

Don't really need anything that is 3 wood distance, so I'm not too worry about getting that kind of distance.

Based purely on loft it's only about 5 yds difference. For me i usually go no less than 3* difference between clubs at the top of the bag. I would recommend hitting both somewhere to see but going 17/20 or 18/21 might be a better option.

There is a 2/3 offered in most of the recent Cobra hybrid lines that you can adjust down to 16* if need be. I game a pair of their Fly-Z line from a couple years ago, including a 2/3 I play at 16.5*. Super easy to hit, launches great, forgiving, love mine so much I haven't even considered upgrading it. It would be dirt cheap too.

I'm going to say about a 2* difference

There is a 2/3 offered in most of the recent Cobra hybrid lines that you can adjust down to 16* if need be. I game a pair of their Fly-Z line from a couple years ago, including a 2/3 I play at 16.5*. Super easy to hit, launches great, forgiving, love mine so much I haven't even considered upgrading it. It would be dirt cheap too.

What do are you thinking? I can get some 18 degrees from Adams for cheap...I have a hard time with hybrids because I prefer an open look. I cant seem to find much around 16 degrees

What do are you thinking? I can get some 18 degrees from Adams for cheap...I have a hard time with hybrids because I prefer an open look. I cant seem to find much around 16 degrees

Callaway Apex is available in a 16* and they do not look closed at address.

I have a 23* hybrid and a 19* hybrid and to get a slightly larger yardage gap I actually had the 19* extended by 1/2" and that helped a little also.

I have a 23* hybrid and a 19* hybrid and to get a slightly larger yardage gap I actually had the 19* extended by 1/2" and that helped a little also.
I did the same with my 2/3 hybrid. Had Cobra build that one 1/2" longer than standard and kept standard length on the 3/4 hybrid I ordered at the same time. Playing the 2/3 at 16.5* and the 3/4 at 19.5* is providing me a pretty consistent 10-12 yard carry gap between them. My 2/3 hybrid gaps about the same (15 yards) to my 3W as well.

Cobra is so awesome on that front. Even though there have been two years / two release cycles since the Fly-Z was released you can still order it customized through them. Probably costs about double what one on ebay would run you though.

Last edited:
Ha thats the question..Will I notice compared to my 20 degree?

Haha, I know, I was just being an idiot. I have an 18* and a 20* VKTR hybrid. I was hoping that I would see a bigger, consistent distance gain but since the 20* is to me easier to hit and get in the air consistently I don't see much improvement. When I do make solid contact with the 18* I get about 12 more yards with it. I think I'm just going to need more time with it.

I did the same with my 2/3 hybrid. Had Cobra build that one 1/2" longer than standard and kept standard length on the 3/4 hybrid I ordered at the same time. Playing the 2/3 at 16.5* and the 3/4 at 19.5* is providing me a pretty consistent 10-12 yard carry gap between them. My 2/3 hybrid gaps about the same (15 yards) to my 3W as well.

Cobra is so awesome on that front. Even though there have been two years / two release cycles since the Fly-Z was released you can still order it customized through them. Probably costs about double what one on ebay would run you though.

I had a 19* and 21* fwy last year and they were probably a difference of 5 yards and they were the same length. I have the 2/3 F6 and the 3/4 F7 now but they have the standard length and I have the F6 set at 19* and the 3/4 at 22* I'm getting the F7 5/6 Fwy and I'll set that at 17* so I hope the gapping should be fine considering the shaft lengths are progressive.

So I am looking for something to use other than a 3 wood, as wood shapes have never really fit me. I was thinking of going with a strong hybrid, but I am not sure. My 3 iron hybrid is a 20 degree and I was thinking of a 18 or 16 degree hybrid. Not looking to spend a ton, as this is an experiment. Hard to find a 16 degree that I'd like but I can find an 18 pretty easy.

Will I see enough distance out of an 18 versus a 20 to warrant carrying both?

Don't really need anything that is 3 wood distance, so I'm not too worry about getting that kind of distance.

To the point above about pure lofts it would be a negligible distance - however if you're going with two different OEM hybrids with other variables (shaft lenght, shaft type, head difference) you could have two hybrids gapped appropriately. a few sets ago I had the Taylormade 2009 Rescue 19* and a Adams Idea at 21* and they were a 10 yard gapping - took some testing and mixing and matching but that was a good combo for me.

To the point above about pure lofts it would be a negligible distance - however if you're going with two different OEM hybrids with other variables (shaft lenght, shaft type, head difference) you could have two hybrids gapped appropriately. a few sets ago I had the Taylormade 2009 Rescue 19* and a Adams Idea at 21* and they were a 10 yard gapping - took some testing and mixing and matching but that was a good combo for me.
Came in here to post something similar. Loft is such a narrow way of looking at it. 2 different heads featuring different tech, along with different type of shafts, could produce more than enough as far as distance is concerned (even if loft is only 2 degrees difference)

I do not see a lot of benefit for carrying multiple hybrids. If you want a hybrid make sure it is 3-4 degrees different from the other one. You can buy a 816 H1 with 17 degrees and drop it down a degree. However,I would buy a 18 degree 5 wood for maximum yardage.

Yeah you gotta have one for the gap between iron and fairway, plus the versatility it offers.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Callaway Apex is available in a 16* and they do not look closed at address.

Very good club and if you look you can find a good deal on callaway pre owned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back