Being a mentor to a junior golfer.

SaffaClint

Reaction score
Handicap
+2.3
I've been playing quite a bit of golf with a 12 y/o guy and it's been awesome to play with someone who loves the game like I do.
His dad doesn't play and neither do any of his siblings, being that he doesn't play rugby or other sports he's kinda an outsider which I find sad. Anyway, he's been asking me for advice and I've been giving it gladly. Today we played in a club competition day, a stableford format. I told him before we teed off that I'd guide him around the course and help him eliminate bad shots and blow up holes. Well, he shot his lowest round, 89, had 41 points and won the whole club competition! The prizes are small but he was so stoked. I sat at the take with his mum and dad and was so happy to see the pride on their faces when it was announced he'd won. They thanked me for being his mentor and told me they appreciated what I was doing and I have to be honest it felt pretty damn good!!! I'm finally giving back to the game, who'd have thought it.

Wow. Must have been a great feeling for the you, the boy, and his parents. Congrats! How'd you first get involved mentoring him?

I happened to meet him when I went for a game on my own after work a few weeks ago. His dad was with him and as I was about to tee off the young guy asked if he could join me. Once he found out my handicap he was keen to play with me more and more. His dad and I had a chat one afternoon and he asked me if I'd help him out considering he didn't play golf. He's getting lessons already but needs help with scoring better. In the short time I've been helping him on course his handicap has dropped 2 strokes and I truly believe he'll be close to single digits by the end of the year. He has a gorgeous swing but doesn't generate much power because he's so small, lol. I've told him to be patient and that in time he'll hit the ball way further. We're working on his putting and short game in particular and it's paying off massively.

Saffaclint,

That is great what you are doing. That young man will remember it forever. My son is 11, and we have a blast. He is absorbing everything. Also, he beats me sometimes. It is fantastic.

You guys keep having a good time.

Jack

Thanks guys, I'm having fun watching him learn and improve. I have a 3 y/o son who I can only hope will love golf as much as this kid does.

Nice! The win must have had a great rewarding feeling.

I love this post, that's so cool. This kid sounds awesome, he will never forget these moments.

Great to hear. I remember a lot of the older guys taking me in and letting me play with them when my parents were working or something many years ago. In the early 70's I played a lot of golf in my teens with a couple of guts in theirs 50's at the time. Really helped me learn.

Great job!! Giving back is an amazing experience. I played a lot of weekend golf when I was a kid with two gents that were in their 50's. They were always very helpful and encouraging. Keep up the great work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is awesome I was a kid in the same situation, actually kind of still to this day I gave up a lot of friend because my love for the game

This is great, thanks for sharing!

Should be playing with him again this weekend, let's see if he can win 2 in a row, lol.

Love this thread Saffa. You're a good man sir!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great story! I Love to hear about anyone who is mentoring young golfers. His early success will propel him to a lifetime of loving golf. I'm hoping my daughters passion for golf continues through high school. She will be a freshman the year I retire and I told my wife I could easily see myself as an assistant to the high school girls golf coach who is a good friend of mine. I'd also love to volunteer for a First Tee or similar junior golf program when I retire.

I think his story resonates with me which is why I'm enjoying it all so much. I had no one to teach me how to manage a course or my game. I was also an outsider in that not many kids played golf. Most of all though, when I played with adults I was seen as a hindrance even though I played better than them.
As well as course and have management I'm teaching him about rules as well as etiquette and can only hope he passes it on to other kids he might play with.

Passing on what you know is a great thing. Great job teaching him rules and etiquette. It needs to be passed on but a lot of people are too self absorbed to bother.

It's so rewarding, but it's hard too. I mentor a 16 year old boy whose parents try to support him by buying everything he (says he) needs, bring him to courses and ask about his game.. But that's all they do. His mom has a restaurant and as his parents are divorced his dad is a little less in the picture even.

The main thing I can help him with is his mental game and how he drinks&eats on the course. We call about three-four times a week and play whenever possible. I caddy for him when I don't have a match myself and the match he's playing allows caddies. He's currently ranked 16th Nationally in his age division, could do so much better when he'd listen to his pro and me.. Stop tinkering with his clubs like he does and practice more on his weak points.

He's a club ho: In the past 16 months he's bought and gamed 7 drivers, 5 putters, three sets of irons and three sets of wedges, a platitude of bags -6?- and as his parents just keep giving him money to do so he doesn't really get to get confident with his clubs. Just yesterday he put a new mini driver into the bag as he thinks it might help his game, it won't but he needs to figure that out himself.. Quite annoying because of a few reasons, the main ones being that he just doesn't seem to realise it and the fact that he can buy just about anything he wants and I can't :p

Back