Is Batman a Superhero?

Ottawaclo

#THPFunkoFam
Reaction score
Handicap
Titos
I do a weekly podcast to earn some extra funds (High Octane Radio aka The HOR) and we had a spirited debate regarding whether or not Batman is a legit superhero or just a merc.

Granted I know this has been argued for years on the internet but that was my first time actually involved in said debate.

Obviously I sided that Batman is INDEED a superhero.

Curious what this community thinks as I always find some of the best random conversations I have are in between shots on the course.

Thanks

i say no. no more than iron man or hawkeye are super heroes. being really smart, or training hard to be the best at something doesn't make you a super hero. hero? yes. super hero? no.

i don't see how you can put something without super powers into the same conversation as someone with super powers.

100% yes, even though he might not have special powers, he is a hero saving peoples lives :starwars:

Nope..

He's a hero and his level of it makes him super too. Is he a superpowered hero?...no, but he is definitely a superhero.

Definite super hero. He is the guy who proves that regular people can be super heros.

What's the criteria for being super? Mutants are 1% of the population, and they're qualified to be super heros. If you have super high IQ, incredible training in significant areas, the will to answer the call to action, the sacrifice of your own body in battle, and all the things that Batman does, are you not in the .0001% of the population? Basically, just you and ironman.

I say no. There's nothing Super about his DNA.

That said that's why I like Batman. Anyone can save the day when they can fly and are invincible, but Batman puts his a** on the line.

he is an egomaniac sicko

SUPERhero = super powers.

Back in the day I probably would have said yes as a pass, but the recent story line built for him makes it a bit darker.

I say no as well

Super heros fight crime and are merciful so yes he is a super hero. Not sure how anyone can different since he is portrayed as such in the comics

From the definition of "super" and "hero". Batman definitely is both.

But the definition of Superhero he is not.

Super heros fight crime and are merciful so yes he is a super hero. Not sure how anyone can different since he is portrayed as such in the comics

They also, by most definitions, have superhuman powers - which Batman does not.

For what it's worth, according to wiki. "In modern popular fiction, a superhero (sometimes rendered super-hero or super hero) is a type of costumed heroic character who possesses supernatural or superhuman powers and who is dedicated to fighting crime, protecting the public, and usually battling supervillains". I don't see the supernatural or superhuman powers in Batman, so I vote "No".

200_s.gif

Last edited:
They also, by most definitions, have superhuman powers - which Batman does not.

He has been a super hero since the beginning. Part of the justice league. Just because peeps on the internet are trying to change that doesn't make it true. Plus he has super gadget and super human strength and no fear.

He has been a super hero since the beginning. Part of the justice league. Just because peeps on the internet are trying to change that doesn't make it true. Plus he has super gadget and super human strength and no fear.

I guess I'll agree to disagree.

So much for debates, lol

He is a superhero. I don't care what the definition is.I have read Batman for over fifty years and the character arch has changed widely over that time. Of course he has no super power but he hangs with those who do and seems to kick butt when he has to face someone with such powers.
Angry, moody, dark, brave all describe him. He manages to keep Gotham in one piece and that is pretty super.

As for "super" abilities. He has had drug enhanced training to suppress fear and enhance mental/physical faculties from the league of shadows.

Next I am going to invite everyone on the podcast.....such a great question....if I was not at work I think I would go back and forth with everyone that has said no lol

Batman does not have super powers, so if the definition of super hero includes super powers than that is a negative.

If we use a similar definition for superstar then I would say yes he is a super hero, he is incredibly well known and as Tadashi mentioned he has been a part of the Justice league for several decades so he is held in high esteem within the hero community.

Not a superhero simply because he has no superpowers.

Back