Callaway XR Hybrid Review

Yeah, the ball speeds I saw took my eye, and that was only a couple swings on the range measuring them.

Sadly, I know some will dismiss it as Callaway "hype" or whatever, but the fact is they are producing some silly solid clubs right now.

Well I don't really care what people dismiss or not lol.

You see my bag and know how I pick my golf clubs. I said as much that I thought it was a slight tweak on the X2, which is pretty hard to dispute as a great all-around hybrid. You've got the distance and forgiveness right there and it sounds good.

Always have a little more draw spin with it for whatever reason, but the ups beat the downs.

Well I don't really care what people dismiss or not lol.

You see my bag and know how I pick my golf clubs. I said as much that I thought it was a slight tweak on the X2, which is pretty hard to dispute as a great all-around hybrid. You've got the distance and forgiveness right there and it sounds good.

Always have a little more draw spin with it for whatever reason, but the ups beat the downs.

Wait, don't you pick by who's pocket we are in? :alien:

Yep, not revolutionary from the X2, its evolutionary, and honestly that s allit needs to be IMO.

Anyone, but Hawk and Jman especially, are these the longest hybrids you guys have hit.? I typically use a hybrid as my longest club except for the driver is why I ask.

Are these hybrids as easy to hit as the x2 hybrid?

Last edited:
Anyone but Hawk and Jman especially, are these the longest hybrids you guys have hit.? I typically use a hybrid as my longest club except for the driver is why I ask.

Well, I'll still answer even though you wanted to exclude me lol.

Not the longest. As long as the longest though. I hit the Aeroburner almost the same to the yard on center with a couple degrees less launch angle.

Same design as X2, so yea - just the same as far as playability goes.

Well, I'll still answer even though you wanted to exclude me lol.

Not the longest. As long as the longest though. I hit the Aeroburner almost the same to the yard on center with a couple degrees less launch angle.

Same design as X2, so yea - just the same as far as playability goes.

I have hit the Aeroburner hybrid and it is long for me also. I think the longest hybrid I ever hit was either the original TM Superlaunch (black head) or Tour Edge Exotics XCG-5 hybrid. Both very long but my miss with the superlaunch was a hook and the XCG-5 was not the most forgiving.

I guess the other one I'd toss in there is the Super LS.

I should say that it's a very different experience with the Aero.

I like the Aero quite a bit. At 3h loft, it's a little harder for me to hit clean off the turf, but it does launch higher and is every bit as long. I like the way it frames the ball at address.

Sounds pretty bad unfortunately. A really muted blah sound. Not new-age Adams bad, but not good.

Still though - not a deal breaker. I like it quite a bit too.

Anyone but Hawk and Jman especially, are these the longest hybrids you guys have hit.? I typically use a hybrid as my longest club except for the driver is why I ask.

Have only played two rounds with both 4 and 5 h. BUT I have seen some very good distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Picked her up today. She needed a little lead to get to D-3 but I already prefer the look over the 915h. If the missus is in a good mood tomorrow there will be some testing.

24635CFF-89E2-4CBE-A4D6-AD19669A3E60_zpszdueodt2.jpg

1ACDD0B7-05C9-4BB0-BC18-92F43AF26801_zpsg4gvuaac.jpg

Took her out on the range and course and I am pretty impressed with the club in stock form. The shaft is very stable and really rewards going after your shots. The ball flight is higher than the Big Bertha Alpha 20 degree I was using but definitely not as penetrating. It also hits higher than my 913h 19 degree. When I went after the ball I was rewarded with high draws that appeared to carry about 240-250 yards. Misses were high fades that probably went about 230 yards. Thin shots looked as if they still might reach their target as they still got airborne and then ran like hell when hitting the ground. More testing will be needed because as sweet as this club was, my 913h still out performed considerably in distance and slightly in terms of forgiveness. But the 913h is like an old pair of slippers. Maybe with some more time with XR I can gain similar confidence and see better performance. All in all though a VERY solid hybrid. Very forgiving, long enough and a nice high flight with what I perceived to be a slight draw bias though the club is definitely workable.

I absolutely am infatuated with this effin' club right now. Just high, towering, shots that are LONG as heck. I honestly think its the longest hybrid I have ever owned in this loft and its not that close, granted I never owned the X2H.

Now that my F15 review is done, this one is getting an iROD this weekend!

I really am thinking about going 6H soon to drop the 5i

Last edited:
Its iROD time with the XR!

Seriously though, this is a good club for me. But more than that, it really reaffirms for me that I have no need/urge to hit the Pro.

Seriously though, this is a good club for me. But more than that, it really reaffirms for me that I have no need/urge to hit the Pro.

First time out with the iROD? I have one sitting at home waiting for a head. Watching an 815 hybo right now on eBay so hopefully that pans out.

First time out with the iROD? I have one sitting at home waiting for a head. Watching an 815 hybo right now on eBay so hopefully that pans out.

First time in this head, I played it in the Bertha hybo a bit. I just really prefer the XR to the Bertha and 815 by a big margin. I was really surprised by that too, I fully expected I'd fall head over heels for the 815 thanks to the adjustability.

Don't say that! The Pro gives me the same good feelings that this one is providing for you. Defintely worth a hit.

Don't say that! The Pro gives me the same good feelings that this one is providing for you. Defintely worth a hit.

I don't need smaller profile in this spot dude. I fully believe its a fantastic club, its just not in my realm of needs.

First time in this head, I played it in the Bertha hybo a bit. I just really prefer the XR to the Bertha and 815 by a big margin. I was really surprised by that too, I fully expected I'd fall head over heels for the 815 thanks to the adjustability.
Same here…prefer the XR head shape to the Bertha and 815. I even took a few hacks today at Golf Galaxy. And not bad considering I'm wearing khakis, a dress shirt, and boat shoes.

Interesting. Is it the head shape, feel on contact or ball filght that fits you better? I've only tinkered with the 815 indoors, but reading the thread on it the mid flight seems to be what I like from this club.

I absolutely am infatuated with this effin' club right now. Just high, towering, shots that are LONG as heck. I honestly think its the longest hybrid I have ever owned in this loft and its not that close, granted I never owned the X2H.

Now that my F15 review is done, this one is getting an iROD this weekend!

I really am thinking about going 6H soon to drop the 5i

I'm obsessed with distance so this is very interesting. I haven't hit the XR hybrid so the longest, to date, I've hit is a Tour Edge Exotics hybrid. For comparison sake, have you hit any of them?

I'm obsessed with distance so this is very interesting. I haven't hit the XR hybrid so the longest, to date, I've hit is a Tour Edge Exotics hybrid. For comparison sake, have you hit any of them?

I have both here. XR was longer for me on missed shots. I miss quite frequently.

Interesting. Is it the head shape, feel on contact or ball filght that fits you better? I've only tinkered with the 815 indoors, but reading the thread on it the mid flight seems to be what I like from this club.

I really prefer the shape of the XR at setup, just looks right to me. Plus, its long as sin, for me.

I don't need smaller profile in this spot dude. I fully believe its a fantastic club, its just not in my realm of needs.

Needs?!?! When did THP become about needs?! I'll admit, my love affair with the Pro has become excessive. Mostly I just want other folks whose opinion I trust to help me affirm my club love.

I can't speak for others but the XR to me has a feel that is addictive. Its a very soft feel and it just seems like the ball is being compressed.

Needs?!?! When did THP become about needs?! I'll admit, my love affair with the Pro has become excessive. Mostly I just want other folks whose opinion I trust to help me affirm my club love.

Play what you love, love what you play dude.

I'm going between the 815 and the regular XR for a 3 hybrid right now. I've got a bit more swinging to do before I make the final decision though. I like the feel of the XR, but I think the 815 may suit my eye a little better.

I have both here. XR was longer for me on missed shots. I miss quite frequently.

I know the feeling. Thanks.

Back