Mindset on approach shot and chips/pitches

Landing spot and type of shot is my general overriding concern. Lie and ball position just kind of follow along.

Where the pin is, what kind of shot do I need all carry, high shot, bump and run, what is the safe shot what is aggressive.

Then mechanics of shot full swing 1/2 1/4 swing ball placement

Then I think of weather and other outside forces.

Practice swing

Execute

Club twirl

I think this is why golf is such a challenge to me. My only thought is that I hope I can get the ball near the hole.

I read my lie, see how it will come out. Get yardages, front, middle, back, pin, aggressive or conservative, choose a club, a landing zone, shot shape, wind, and basically then it's all subconscious. I execute the shot to the best of my ability. No thoughts of swing go through my mind, just executing the shot.

What shot is right from the lie, where am I landing the ball

Distance, club for distance and swing. Try not to think at all, all that does is mess things up!

After assessing the situation and determining my game plan for that shot, my main focus is staying in balance and rhythm and tempo for good ball contact. Here recently I have been really concentrating on balance and rhythm in my golf swing throughout the bag and its really showing.

Find pin. Stick it close.

~Rock

I look at the lie as some of the greens around here are surrounded with patchy rough. Other than that, distance and shot type. Then (I attempt to) take dead aim. All I'm thinking over short game shots is 'commit to the shot'. I seem to get in more trouble when I start doubting my decision, setup, etc.

Pin position
Distance
Lie
Stance
Hazards or obstacles
Weather variables

Spray n' Pray

Look at the lie, then actual distance to try and calculate playing distance (elevation changes/wind). then I look at pin position if that yardage puts me between clubs. If the pin is in the front/middle I would rather take the longer of the 2 clubs, if it is back I might take the shorter of the 2 clubs.

My only thought is "what would Phil do?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lie first. Then pin location and the green between me and the pin.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I just visualize the shot I have to hit to get my best chance at an up-and-down. What follows is just a reaction to the conditions so I can do my best to replicate the shot I am envisioning. Sometimes I can't play the shot I want so I look for the closest alternative. Probably 5 to 7 practice swings (fluid back and forth I'm all of pace of play) then approach the ball with my shot in mind. I have the feeling I need, I just need to execute.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Back