High Ball Hitters - How do you Know?

fupresti

Former Big Deal
Reaction score
Handicap
Marriage
I see a lot of people posting they have a high launch. I always thought I hit the ball high then I went to a THP event and learned pretty quick I was off, way off.

How do you know you hit the ball high? Launch monitor? Subjective view? I am genuinely curious and if you have some specifics on maybe your driver numbers I would be very grateful.

My launch is typically in the mid teens.

My peak height if I remember was in the 110-120 range.

I can usually find my ball right next to the pitch mark it made when it fell back down to Earth.

I have to let ATC know when I'm teeing off so they can tell me if any planes are in the nearby area so I don't tag one of them.

Track man and flightscope confirmed my thoughts. I don't mind with the irons but it's killing my driving distance.

I think most don't really know to be honest. Unless spin is really high, high launch isn't hurting people like they think. Not a normal day at least. Bring in a ton of wind and high launch can certainly hurt.

According to Foresight, my driver ranges between 100-120 feet. I'd really like to see my numbers outdoors though. I don't swing the same indoors on a monitor for some reason.

I know I hit my ball based on subjective viewing..and ALL of my playing partners commenting how high I hit it. It probably goes higher height wise than distance wise. I hit my ball, look for my tee, find it and pick it up and still have time to pick up my ball in the air and watch it land...and not because I bombed my drive out 300+ yards. I think when we were on the simulators I was launching about 23* with my driver.

Track man and flightscope confirmed my thoughts. I don't mind with the irons but it's killing my driving distance.

What are your numbers for launch, spin and peak height? And based on video with T.O. It would be ideal if all of our clubs had the same peak height.

I don't consider my ball high especially after watching PGA tour events. My peak height is around 94-105' with irons and woods. Spin numbers aren't bad with driver being in the mid 2000s and irons being close to 1000rpm x iron number at least that's been with 6,7,8 irons.

my driver is crazy low, I'd love to see my distance with proper launch height

I really don't know. Driver tends to be an ok flight when I put a good swing on it.

I guess I just base it off our what I see outdoors compared to others I play with. I've seen the numbers in simulators also and my launch is typically always low.

I launch high relative to anyone else I play with, but it doesn't hurt my distance one bit. Plus Trackman and my GC2 confirmed that i hit the ball high. However, they aren't out of line.

Ball flight is pretty high both visually and numbers wise. I don't mind it unless it is windy and then usually only off the tee. Carry is my measurement for picking a club as rollout is not in the cards most of the time. Will have to get some fresh numbers but 140-150 feet is typical.

I've always had a pretty high ball flight compared to people I play with normally. The few times I have been on a launch monitor, I've always had a mid teens launch angle as high as 17-18* at times. Like mentioned in some other posts, my drives weren't very far from where they carried to. I've made several equipment changes the last 6 months to bring it down though and my carry hasn't changed much and I've started getting a little roll out.

It is really a combo of most of the things mentioned here. Visually seeing it, comparing it to others flights, getting numbers on launch monitor, etc. I was amazed at a recent fitting what different shafts can do to affect it. I believe I will always hit it somewhat high, but getting the right shaft to make that a positive is very cool.

Last edited:
People I play with have told me I hit my irons especially high. I often hit the roof of the dome with my 7iron before it gets to the back wall. Get no rollout with a 6iron if I hit the green.
Strangely enough, I'm a low ball hitter with my driver.
Most likely caused by some flipping with my irons and OTT with the driver.

I'm a very low launcher, and have come to terms with it. I played with a childhood friend the other day who I haven't played with in awhile. Dudes driver was higher than my pitching wedge, but he was also the longest person I've ever played with. His long drive we measured at 380 (although it was with the wind, but not a crazy amount)

I see a lot of people posting they have a high launch. I always thought I hit the ball high then I went to a THP event and learned pretty quick I was off, way off.

How do you know you hit the ball high? Launch monitor? Subjective view? I am genuinely curious and if you have some specifics on maybe your driver numbers I would be very grateful.

Love this question!!

I haven't called myself a high ball hitter in quite a while, but usually the assumption comes from someone making a comment about my ball flight. It happens a fair bit, although I think I've improved my launch a bit over the last year or so, especially with the help of some proper shafts.

I've been told, I've watched it vs. others, and trackman tends to agree. It's not uncommon for me to get peak heights in the high 30's, and even 40's (so 110-120'+).

I've never called my shots too high though, as I enjoy being a higher hitter as it travels better...but in the spectrum of golf shots (low/mid/high), it's on the higher end.

I can get my driver launch from 12 to 17 degrees depending on strike and the amount of tilt at address. I hit the ball higher than I used to but it's not excessive. With driver I tend to be low spin and like low spin setups so I like my launch around 15 degrees

I can get my driver launch from 12 to 17 degrees depending on strike and the amount of tilt at address. I hit the ball higher than I used to but it's not excessive. With driver I tend to be low spin and like low spin setups so I like my launch around 15 degrees

1,500 isn't low spin it's obscene hahaha

My ball flights are not high. I am happy to say they appear to be darn near optimal, close to tour average. I don't know if tour average and optimal are the same things, but I am right about there.

I don't consider myself high ball hitter, but occasionally I get ahold of one or two a round that make me think for a second that I might be.

Never seen any numbers to confirm but I've always hit my ball high. It kills me with the driver, always backspin or right beside the pitch mark.

Launch angle measured by TM and discussed briefly with knowledgable THPers in a thread.

Back