Dead zone in your bag

The_Dude

#TeamNE #Team Green #Hype
Reaction score
Handicap
#bigbutts
Do you have a dead zone in your bag and what do you do to get around it? I have 2 dead zones:
50*-pw. My 50* is about 110, pw is 125.I don't like to stretch wedges so I choke down on pw and take a normal swing. Get's me about 120. Open the blade a smidge while choked down gets me 115.
3H-3W. 3H is about 210, 3w is 235. This case if front of the green is open I'll put ball back in my stance and try to run it up the throat with 3h. If that's not possible I'll choke down and inch on 3w and I can back it down to about 220.
So where is your dead zone THP'ers?

I think I have a few as well

my SW is 105
My PW is 135

The AW is 120ish, just makes for awkward gapping. I find myself trying to hit choked down PW shots and then those go a mile too and usually ends up as a fail.

Then below 5I its a big guessing game for me, I hae a 4I I have no idea how far it goes, a 3H that goes 10 miles right and a heavenwood I hit good 1 out of every 5.

I think I have a few as well

my SW is 105
My PW is 135

The AW is 120ish, just makes for awkward gapping. I find myself trying to hit choked down PW shots and then those go a mile too and usually ends up as a fail.

This is mine too, and that's my only concern with the shaft switch I'm trying out. My 54* Is good for 100-105, but I can get my AW out there 120.

I need to work on the knockdown with the gap wedge a bit, and that should give me the distance I need. Or thinking of moving to a SW that's going to give me a bit more help, whether it be the set SW or something like the RTX-3 CB since I'm full swinging it a decent amount.

The long end of my bag is pretty good - I'm good for 230 carry w/ my 16* fairway, then about 210-215 with my 3h. At that point, I'm not really trying to hit a number, so if there's a gap I'll take it.

I have a gap between 3h and 3w of maybe 20 yards but for me it's not a dead zone. I know my game and my go zones on par 5s so for my bag setup it works for my game.

It's been a while since I've thought through my gaps... I'm a weird one that plays 15 yd gaps up to 6i. Then 10 yd gap to 5i. Then 15 to my 4h, 15 to my 3h, then a 20 ish to my 4w. At the top end the gaps blur with distance control not bring a big issue. I do have a big gap now from my 50 to my 56. I just try to make sure I'm aiming right at 120 when laying up. I'll either hit it too far or short do it works perfect lol. Either that or just go for it

Biggest gapping "dead zone" is full 5 wood to full mini driver. About 20 yards gap on regular, full swings with both. Not a playing dead zone though as I can back off the Mini driver with swing length, hand position on grip, etc.

Considering i do not have anything over a hybrid.....defo got a big dead zone when on a par 5 lol

if the question assumes i'm going to hit each club on the screws every time, i don't think i have an unacceptable dead zone. i guess from fairway wood to hybrid the gap would be about 20-25 yards. but from 230-205 i don't think i need to be that precise. the problem is, i so rarely hit 5i, hybrid or fairway on the screws, the gapping is almost irrelevant. from those kinds of distances, it's more about consistency of direction rather than distance.

My dead zone is between my 3W and 4h, 3W I can count on 240ish and my 4h is around 205ish. When I get into long pars 3's I struggle with that gap. Currently thinking about picking up something to fill the gap when needed and I can drop my 60* wedge when needed. I just don't like gaps in my scoring clubs, it's why I carry a 48* wedge.

Yuuuppp... I have a pesky one:

SW goes ~95-100 yds
PW goes ~120-130 yds

I sacrificed this gap in order to throw a driving iron in the bag for more accuracy off the tee when I need it.

I don't have anything between my driver (230ish) and my 3H (180ish). I need to look at dropping the 60º wedge and picking up a 3W I'm comfortable with.

I'm noticing a couple weird ones within my iron set. GW (10) PW (12) 9i (16) 8i (10) 7i (12) 6i (7) 5i (10) 4i. Maybe I need the lofts bent?

My top end is actually really solid since adding 5iron to the strong 3,4,5 hybrid, 3 wood lineup.

I have a blind spot at 110-120. Its a super tweener shot for me. Step on it 50deg which I like with some helping and no uphill or 3/4 pw into or uphill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm noticing a couple weird ones within my iron set. GW (10) PW (12) 9i (16) 8i (10) 7i (12) 6i (7) 5i (10) 4i. Maybe I need the lofts bent?
16 yards is sizable with a short club.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

My top end is actually really solid since adding 5iron to the strong 3,4,5 hybrid, 3 wood lineup.

I have a blind spot at 110-120. Its a super tweener shot for me. Step on it 50deg which I like with some helping and no uphill or 3/4 pw into or uphill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My dead zones are golfer related rather than equipment related, and come at the top and bottom of the bag.

16 yards is sizable with a short club.

I hear you, it's a frustrating place for a gap that wide. Been 'finessing' an 8i with so-so results. Getting better at it as I do it more though. The ends of my bag are decent at least. 13 yards from my SW to my GW and then 4i (10) 3/4Hy (11) 2/3Hy (13) 3W.

I hear you, it's a frustrating place for a gap that wide. Been 'finessing' an 8i with so-so results. Getting better at it as I do it more though. The ends of my bag are decent at least. 13 yards from my SW to my GW and then 4i (10) 3/4Hy (11) 2/3Hy (13) 3W.
Not a bad idea to get lofts checked on pw/9/8.

Aw 105 to LW 75 is a problem. If I get a 80-90 shot I have big problem. Thinking about a SW but then I'll have a gap at the other end. Frustrating.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

190-205 is a gap issue for me. A flush 4 iron is 195 yards and I don't flush the 4 that often. My 18* hybrid is 210-225 comfortably.
So, I either have to really jump on the 4 iron, or choke down on the hybrid.
I may pull the 18* hybrid this year and try a 22* or something like that.

I don't really have a dead zone. I've spent alot of time playing with settings on my woods to get the carry distance I need to full the gaps at the top, and bent the lofts on my irons and wedges to keep the gaps consistent throughout the bag. If I hit everything on the screws, I'm right around 15yds gap throughout the bag... give or take a couple yds.

I have two gaps, only one I care about;
First, set PW (110) to set 9i (130) - this gap is a PITA. Choking down helps, but increases bad **** probability.
Second is 3H (210) to 3W HL (235) - this is a non factor because quality of strike is a bigger distance issue than the gap the exists between two well struck shots.

My dead zone is 3 wood (215 yards) and 3 hybrid (190)....thinking about a 5 wood

Mine would be set AW 75-80 and set PW 95-100. I'm 50/50 on choking down or swinging the PW easier. Prefer choking down and swinging easier never seems to work out for me.

3H to 3W. hybrid goes 215 and 3w goes 240-245. I just try to hit a big cut with the 3w trying to spin it to get it in the 220-225 range

Back