Letters to Winners

rozo22

Reaction score
Handicap
Good article on the letters Arnie sent to Rory after his wins and how Rory would like to continue the tradition later on in his career.

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/gol...-arnies-letter-writing-tradition-lives-031417

Got me thinking that that is a long ways off. Arnie, Jack and Gary Player have been staples for so long and were so good, who could continue on this tradition in the immediate future?

Tom Watson comes to mind. Nobody other than him from the 70's/80's seems like it would mean anything to the next generation.

Later on, Tiger could probably do it, but doesn't seem like his personality. Phil would be great as well, but probably not until his playing slows down.

I think it's a great thing that Arnie and Jack did and that's what makes them special but I'm not so sure that forcing that through Because they did is quite the same thing.
They belonged to a different generation which just doesn't exist anymore IMO.
In reference to living legends to do it now, Gary Player, Lee Trevino, Tom Watson, Greg Norman, Nick Faldo but it's not the same except maybe for Gary Player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a tough one man, I really don't know how you replace Arnie or Jack. Some people just own certain things and I feel like that might be the case here. Maybe Gary Player, but he always has a ton of stuff going on and does a lot already.

Arnie and Jack were different. Arnie was bigger then the game. Jack was the game. Tiger is trying to be Arnie and Rory is trying to be Jack.

I would think Watson/Crenshaw/Langer maybe but none of those guys resonate quite like Arnie Jack and Gary do.

I think it's a great thing that Arnie and Jack did and that's what makes them special but I'm not so sure that forcing that through Because they did is quite the same thing.
They belonged to a different generation which just doesn't exist anymore IMO.
In reference to living legends to do it now, Gary Player, Lee Trevino, Tom Watson, Greg Norman, Nick Faldo but it's not the same except maybe for Gary Player.

I don't think of it as being forced if he wants to continue the tradition. Probably feels like it is honoring the past greats. Obviously will never mean the same as Arnie or jack, but still a great gesture.

I would think Watson/Crenshaw/Langer maybe but none of those guys resonate quite like Arnie Jack and Gary do.

Agree. Not sure anyone can live up to them, but it's a great gesture.

And, Arnold sent them to not just PGA tour winners, but winners from every tour, every week, accordin to a Callaway podcast today. Could you imaging winning on the web.com tour and getting a letter from Arnold Palmer.

And, Arnold sent them to not just PGA tour winners, but winners from every tour, every week, accordin to a Callaway podcast today. Could you imaging winning on the web.com tour and getting a letter from Arnold Palmer.
Wes Bryan shared photos of a couple on instagram.

A University of Michigan golfer received a letter after he passed for his play at the US amateur. That had to be surreal.

Back