Avoiding the "Back Nine Burnout"

TIGolfer1996

Reaction score
Handicap
We've all been there, you set the front nine on fire and then you play decent the first few holes on the back and suddenly you flatline. You're sluggish, tired, and just want to get the round over with. I'm playing a round in 80 degrees and it's going to be about 70% humidity Sunday and wondered what would be some foods/drinks to take to avoid the dreaded Back Nine Burnout. I've heard Clif Bars, Powerbars, PB and J, and Water. But what does everyone have? (preferably nothing too specialized, there's not a GNC around)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like water and Nuun tablets. If I don't have them, Gatorade G2--but mixed with 1/2 water--I'm not a "sweets" guy and even the G2 is too sweet for me. Drink A LOT. Way more than you think you need to.

As for food, I like to have some trail mix (nuts and fruit--not chocolate), and beef jerky in the bag. Almonds work too. PB and J works at the turn (better than a hot dog), but it isn't so easy during the round in between shots.

I'm usually in 100% humidity most of my rounds throughout the season. I freeze two 32oz gatorades the night before. I'm not a big breakfast guy, but a couple of breakfast bars to start & a combo of jerkey/almonds throughout the round.

Also seek out the shade. Sounds simple, but I see a lot of guys parking in the sun or not being aware where the shade is.

I like water and Nuun tablets. If I don't have them, Gatorade G2--but mixed with 1/2 water--I'm not a "sweets" guy and even the G2 is too sweet for me. Drink A LOT. Way more than you think you need to.

As for food, I like to have some trail mix (nuts and fruit--not chocolate), and beef jerky in the bag. Almonds work too. PB and J works at the turn (better than a hot dog), but it isn't so easy during the round in between shots.

Gatorade with water is so nasty, I'll give props for drinking it

Gatorade with water is so nasty, I'll give props for drinking it

Haha. I guess I'm odd like that. I drink OJ in the morning cut 1/2 and 1/2 with water as well.

On the course though, it's not about taste, it's about hydration. Some of those Nuun tablets are nasty as well, but I'll force them down because they help.

Haha. I guess I'm odd like that. I drink OJ in the morning cut 1/2 and 1/2 with water as well.

On the course though, it's not about taste, it's about hydration. Some of those Nuun tablets are nasty as well, but I'll force them down because they help.

I hear water and orange juice and no tea/soda 24 hours before a round helps

Fluids, mostly water and a bunch of it. Hydrating the night before will help, too. Gatorade is good if you like it. My power snack is peanut butter/honey/bacon sandwich. Mmmm good!

Water. Lots of water. Complex carbs like almonds.

Simple rules, sugars, sweets and coffee for energy on front 9. complex carbs to maintain energy.

I like coffee, a snickers, orange juice before the round. Water, gatorade, on the back. A Pb&J isn't a hard thing to make and pack for the round.

Morning round: Coffee and cereal or oatmeal (or donuts) before round. Cliff bar at the turn.

Water throughout the round and maybe a sports drink but not a lot. Snacks or food every 4-6 holes, banana, granola, almonds, pbj or a ham sandwich.

I went with three Powerbars water and Gatorade that are chilling in the fridge for tommorow

Flavored water for me all the way with a snack bar or two.

huge problem for me, mostly due to severe allergies for pretty much everything that grows outside. I try to take an allergy pill the night before, then another on the 7th or 8th hole. I also try to take one otc migraine pill like excedrin at the same time and possibly some antacids if I can feel some reflux coming on.

I played a practice 9 the other day and felt light headed and sleepy on the 1 hour drive home. Never had that low blood sugar (I suspect) feeling before

A hand full of nuts or protein bar will keep energy up. The key is to nibble and drink through the entire round.

We've all been there, you set the front nine on fire and then you play decent the first few holes on the back and suddenly you flatline. You're sluggish, tired, and just want to get the round over with. I'm playing a round in 80 degrees and it's going to be about 70% humidity Sunday and wondered what would be some foods/drinks to take to avoid the dreaded Back Nine Burnout. I've heard Clif Bars, Powerbars, PB and J, and Water. But what does everyone have? (preferably nothing too specialized, there's not a GNC around)

Hydration is a big item. When I worked outside it was best for me to take in a high volume of fluids the evening before and then maintain steady fluid intake during the day. Water is best but sport drinks can work if they don't have too many simple carbs. I like my coffee but too much caffeine can lead to peaks & crashes in energy levels.

Food should have a nice balance of protein, fat, simple carbs & complex carbs. Most protein bars are not all that balanced and the carbs are mostly sugars. Great for after workout recovery but not great for extended physical activity. For golf I like pieces of a regular cliff bar mixed with some almonds every 4 holes or so. The almonds provide lots good fats and the cliff bar gets you about a 50/50 mix of complex carbs vs. simple carbs. Both foods provide plenty of protein for the task at hand.

Peanut butter or almond butter on whole wheat can be pretty good. I don't like adding jelly because it puts a lot more simple carbs into the equation.

I assume you walk? If you ride a good balanced meal before the round and a good balanced snack at the turn might be enough to take care of the fuel needs. Drinking water/sports drink throughout the round would still be good.

Larabars, Clif Bars, Quest bars, almonds and raisins, pb and j on whole wheat, anything with simple easy to use protein. Like Tadashi said nibble all the way around. At least every 4 holes have a few bites.

Hydration is most important. Like others said, starting the round well hydrated is key as you can not "catch up" once you start the round. Skip the refined sugar if you can. I learned long ago it makes a hot day feel hotter as you body burns off the empty calories. Go to a running store as they have lots of options for good hydration and electrolyte replacement and nutrition supplements suited to strenuous activities.

Last but not least, save the hot dog for after the round. The combination of difficult to digest fats and the quickly available sugars from digesting the bun will give you a temporary lift but promote burnout by the last few holes.

Biggest thing is to eat before you need it. Cliff bars are good, PB&J anything with carbs is goos. But it takes the body time to metabolize and distribute the fuel to the body. A sugary drink like a soda is a short term fix. Sugar is easily absorbed and distributed. But is burnt up very quickly.

Hydration is very important. Water is good but if you are sweating a lot Gatorade or one of the electrolyte packs in water is good. However you do it hydration is very important.

The key to avoid the Bonks is to prepare before they hit. I like to ride my road bike a lot. It's a never ending battle to avoid bonking. I usually hit the wall at 30 miles. When you bonk try to sit down and eat something and drink as much as you can. Let your body catch up. And then go slow and try not to push too hard or you'll be back where you started.

I have a cooler bottle holder coming for my Click Gear cart to help. I never drink enough golfing. My bike has 2 water bottle holders. The cart didn't, I'm hoping 1 will do and replenish at the turn. If not I'll get another. Sucks getting old!

Mark Shuman

I need a small fix at hole 5. maybe half a pbj. Maybe the other half with some almonds and celery or carrots at 11. Maybe a soda at 16.

I bring a Clif Bar and lots of water. May bring an extra bag of nuts if it's a particularly long walk or hot day.

I plan on bringing an fruit bar and some fresh fruit with a bottle of water. Usually I do not eat anythimg on the course, this thread gave me insight on the importance of this matter

Bowl of oatmeal before the front 9. Three Gatorade G2 Zero cals in the bag. I freeze two the night before. Hot dog with mustard and relish and 2 advil at the turn. Cigarette on the 12th.

Back