TFCC Tear and Returning to Activities

MSB256

Reaction score
Handicap
Doing a search shows that others in THP have experienced a TFCC tear. I had surgery January 12th, cast past the elbow for four weeks, shorter cast for two weeks, and am now getting toward the end of physical therapy. They were able to stitch the tear and my understanding is that I have two stitches in the wrist that are meant to stay.

With the weather so nice, I'm antsy to get back to physical activity like golf and basketball.

So here's kind of what I have experienced/am experiencing and I welcome feedback. When I got the cast off, the wrist was quite stiff as I imagine is expected. I think physical therapy has helped greatly and now that I've regained some mobility, when my wrist hurts it's mostly local pain, meaning the surgery area/what was already hurting is where I'm feeling the pain. I suppose it's kind of a gets worse before it gets better kind of thing? Anyhow, if anyone has comments feel free and if anyone has issues with a TFCC in the future who finds this post via search, fee free to reach out.

Man, getting to go to the Masters was so great but all this golf makes me want to play. I'm getting a bit impatient with not being able to play golf, basketball, softball, etc. I'm ready to get back to being more active.

No one has comments on a wrist tear or what's it like to recover from any tear? What I'm kind of wondering is, is it normal for the tear that was repaired to hurt after surgery similar to how it did before surgery, before it later feels better?

I damaged my TFCC President's Day weekend (the military medical staff was very hesitant to say "tore" because "damaged" doesn't require an MRI for confirmation) and my hand/wrist area has been sore almost non-stop since. It's only painful when I'm at the edge of my normal range of motion, but I played nine holes today and felt it on the range and catching a divot.

I also still have a slight clicking feeling when I work my pinkie through its range of motion. I'm told 4-6 weeks is the standard recovery time, but some soreness might persist. I'm really hoping I'm able to play without pain by Masters week, but I might have to shelve my game until then.

Back