PING Glide Wedges Review

So I went to the nearby course during lunch to hit some chips and short pitches with these and compare them to my Hopkins wedges. One thing I noticed right away is that I definitely made the correct sole choice. Great turf interaction off the fairway and glided (see what I did there) right through the rough. I also noticed to not experience any digging with the leading edge. PING said they made the leading edge a bit more rounded, and I definitely saw the benefits of it. My hopkins wedge, which dont have a "sharp leading" edge, definitely still snagged more on tight lies.

I spun the ball a ton with my callaway MD2 wedges when I had them. However, I switched back to the hopkins wedges because i just wasn't consistent with my MD2s. I definitely didn't generate as much spin with the Hopkins. The Glide Wedges, to me, spin closer to the MD2s than they do to the hopkins. Was able to hit some some nice little one hop and trickle shots with both the 54 and 60 which was very pleasing to me. I also noticed that, out of the rough, I had to play for a bit more carry than my Hopkins because the Glides actually had some spin coming out of the rough and thus did not run out was much.

The grips on these things, with the markings, are absolutely genius and I wish I could buy them and put them on all of my wedges. Having the markings makes it easy to choke down the same amount with great consistency and the extra .75 inches is much welcomed. Really looking forward to getting this out on the course, though I am not sure when that will be quite yet!

I have the 54ss and the 58ss. I have been playing these for 2 months now and I am afraid they are not going to make the bag this year. I have been really having trouble with distance control on these. The inside of 110 shot is very important to my game and I just don't have the confidence in these that I had with my Vokey's. Of course I have played Vokey's for the last 5 years and that is probably the main reason I prefer the feel and the confidence to hit it the proper distance. Ordered a new set of SM5's on Monday. Keep a eye on the marketplace for some Glides for sale soon!

Joe

My first round with these today was hugely successful. I'll post more detailed thoughts tomorrow, but here were the results of a 3/4 54* wedge out of the rough from about 70 yards

Spin, out of the rough, on a partial shot. Awesome.

e756ea59118fabcc21fc667cb6524bb2.jpg

These wedges really continue to impress me. The amount of spin I'm getting on partial shots and shots out of the rough is incredible. I need to adjust a bit because I'm hitting my spots, but coming up short because the ball isn't running out like with my old wedges.

Glad you're liking them Joe, they really are solid, I enjoyed the heck out of them when I reviewed them.

Yeah dude. First time I ever gamed a ping club and really enjoying them. Love how they have a slight cavity so I get a bit of forgiveness, especially with the 54.

And it just goes to show you that cast doesn't mean clicky. These are cast and some of the nicest sounding wedges I've gamed.

Yeah dude. First time I ever gamed a ping club and really enjoying them. Love how they have a slight cavity so I get a bit of forgiveness, especially with the 54.

And it just goes to show you that cast doesn't mean clicky. These are cast and some of the nicest sounding wedges I've gamed.

Ping, IMO, is the king of crushing that cast myth. These, the S55's, the i20/i25's, they all beat that one.

Fun fun fun wedges.

SM5 experiment failed....Glad I kept my Glides they are back in the bag.

Going to get to work to control my distance control with these. They have great feel to them and I can really spin the ball on my chips with the 58.

SM5 experiment failed....Glad I kept my Glides they are back in the bag.

Going to get to work to control my distance control with these. They have great feel to them and I can really spin the ball on my chips with the 58.

Still getting used to the spin. Just goes to show that all wedges don't spin the same. Loved my Hopkins, but the Callaway MD2s and Glides both spin more than them.

Looks like a new version, ES (Eye Sole) will be released next month, and will have characteristics of the old Eye2 Wedge.

Looks like a new version, ES (Eye Sole) will be released next month, and will have characteristics of the old Eye2 Wedge.
I didn't need to read this.

It looks sweet too.

Well, looks like I will need to keep my 2 eyes open for this! (See what I did there?)

PING Glide Wedges Review

Well as I mentioned in my Olde Stonewall recap, I made an impromptu purchase of the 58 degree SS. After getting some good insight from the sales guy (who really knew his stuff and had recently played in a PA Amatuer qualifier) i decided on this configuration mainly for bunkers and shot flop shots near the green.

I got the feel of it a bit on the range and felt good with it. So my first shot with it came from an embedded lie right beneath the lip of the bunker to a short side pin.

When Orange Hog saw my lie he just groaned. I was like what the heck. It came off perfectly it got through the sand and popped it straight up nice and soft. About 10 feet from the pin. I would have signed up for that and walked away if offered before the shot.

Next chance came on one of the deepest bunkers I've ever seen. par 3 15th for those that were there. The bunker on the left a good 15 feet below the hole and about 30 yards long. It was a par 3 that had a lot of guys grumbling all weekend. It is a daunting tee shot about 185 for us on both days.

I hit a perfect (for me) 4 hybrid that was cutting right toward the flag. But literally. Needed one more yard. Instead it found a sandy lie 15 feet below the green.

I could not see the flag and had to have someone on the green come give me the line. I still couldn't see who it was only his club that's how steep it was. I hit what I thought was a prefect shot. Great contact came out nice and pure. Only to hit the top of ridge and roll back down to me.

I have it a little more on the next shot and had a very similar feeling and same result. Since I was now lying 3 and there was a triple bogey max. I picked up as not to hold up the group any more. But I was not upset at all. I hit two of the best shots I could from there. Just needed a gear I didn't have from that deep.

I didn't get another chance to use it. But boy all three of those shots felt like some of the best bunker shots I've hit in a very long time.

Can't wait to get this out again.

Last edited:
Heard that some Ping staffers will have the prototype in play at the U.S. Open
Not shocked, they need to get the PM grind out of a couple of their staffers bags.

Not shocked, they need to get the PM grind out of a couple of their staffers bags.

Yea I heard that, do you know which staffers were using? Bubba or Horschel? Kind of surprising since I thought the PM grind was just Callaway's take on the Eye2, and I thought all Ping contracts were full bag, but apparently not.

Yea I heard that, do you know which staffers were using? Bubba or Horschel? Kind of surprising since I thought the PM grind was just Callaway's take on the Eye2, and I thought all Ping contracts were full bag, but apparently not.
Mahan was for sure.

The Glide ES looks like it has a small scoop in the sole similar to the solus/renegar wedges.

These wedges are the real deal. Was spinning 3/4 shots back 5+ feet with my 54 degree today. Something I just could not do with my Hopkins wedges. I get the spin I loved with my MD2s with better shot to shot consistency.

These wedges are the real deal. Was spinning 3/4 shots back 5+ feet with my 54 degree today. Something I just could not do with my Hopkins wedges. I get the spin I loved with my MD2s with better shot to shot consistency.
They really are great. I have and love the 58. I'm torn between the 52 and 54 to replace my current 54. The G wedge of my D200 is 47*. So the 52 makes more logical sense. But I've always had a 54 and gotten to feel comfortable with it around the green. But the SS grind of the 58 makes it very versitile. So I'm thinking it'll be the 52.

The loft optimized grooves are legit. I know Mizuno has been doing that for a while, but I'm a big fan of any wedge line that utilizes it.

If not for the PM grinds, I'd have moved to these full time, easily one of my favorite wedge lines of the year, and the best we have seen out of PING in quite some time.

If not for the PM grinds, I'd have moved to these full time, easily one of my favorite wedge lines of the year, and the best we have seen out of PING in quite some time.
i found this statement funny (ironic funny) as I got to hit NebGolfers PM grind a bit in KC. And if not for the Glides I would have gone straight out and bout a couple PM's.

But You know about the bird in the hand thing :thumb:

The loft optimized grooves are legit. I know Mizuno has been doing that for a while, but I'm a big fan of any wedge line that utilizes it.

I foresee MD3's in your future

Back