Grip fitting advice

CajunMan

Reaction score
Handicap
10.9 USGA
So my grips are in need of replacing. Titleist AP1 irons with XP90 shafts, driver is 915D with the Diamana 60 shaft, 3 wood is 915F with Diamana 70 shaft, hybrid is 816H with Diamana 70 shaft and the wedges also have the XP90 shaft. Have standard GP Tour Wraps on now and really like them but sweat during the summer and need a grip with moisture control. Looking at Lamkin UTx in distressed red for this. Lamkin says grip dia is .580 and I think my shafts are all .600. Will the Lamkins fit? Also I want to blow them on, I have done this on putters, with blue painters tape. Will one layer hold bc of size? Thanks, Tim

They will fit. You can blow them on with air and one layer of painter's tape will hold. Some people do not use any tape but I personally have not done that. I recently put a grip with a 0.58" core on a 0.65" butt.

Theoretically, you would end up with a 0.92" grip (0.9" grip diam - 0.58" core diam + 0.60 butt diam), or a little more than 1 normal wrap above standard. In reality, the grip stretches (gets thinner) when it goes over the 0.60" butt and the actual diameter will be 0.913", or the equivalent of about three wraps of painter's tape if the core and butt diameters matched. The actual diameter is about 0.8% less than the theoretical, but the grip will still play about 1.5% larger than a standard grip. Will that matter? For you to decide, but probably not.

These numbers all assume the single layer of painter's tape is not included, which I read was the standard way to calculate the diameter.

FWIW, I didn't do this just for you. I did it recently because I was curious about the effects of core/butt mismatch. I even asked Lamkin about this and they confirmed my thought was correct.

So the grips fit and I am on the border of standard and midsize according to the charts so might work out good for me! Thanks, Tim

I just checked and that 0.58 core I put on that 0.65" butt was a UTx midsize. So should be a piece of cake. Smaller butt, thinner grip wall.

So I found a midsize and put it on an old driver with .600 shaft just to see. It fit but was a struggle to get on with one layer painters tape and air. I have a set of standard UTx grips on the way now. Midsizse is a little big for me. Does anyone have any tips to make this easier to install? Thanks, Tim

So I found a midsize and put it on an old driver with .600 shaft just to see. It fit but was a struggle to get on with one layer painters tape and air. I have a set of standard UTx grips on the way now. Midsizse is a little big for me. Does anyone have any tips to make this easier to install? Thanks, Tim

more pressure

dip the tip in some grip solvent or mineral spirits or whatever you use to get it started a bit easier, slide it on about an inch and then do the rest with air

Back