TaylorMade CB and RSi users

CAA_Beat

Reaction score
Handicap
I have the TM cb's 4-AW, although I use a 4 hybrid.

My issue with these (have only played maybe 6 rounds with them and maybe a dozen range sessions) I hit the 8-A very well. Nice mid to high flight with a slight draw, and right on the target. From the 5-7 I can't seem to control them, I am missing to the right with them and seem to be losing a lot of distance on the misses (which I have read is a common complaint with these irons).

So I'm wondering, if creating a combo set (same shaft SteelFiber I95) with the RSi in 5-7 would give me enough forgiveness to make it worthwhile. I certainly realize the miss is caused by the swing, but wondering if a more forgiving club in the longer irons makes since.

Or am I over thinking this, as we tend to do here sometimes?

You're better off just getting a new set of irons imo

I have the TM cb's 4-AW, although I use a 4 hybrid.

My issue with these (have only played maybe 6 rounds with them and maybe a dozen range sessions) I hit the 8-A very well. Nice mid to high flight with a slight draw, and right on the target. From the 5-7 I can't seem to control them, I am missing to the right with them and seem to be losing a lot of distance on the misses (which I have read is a common complaint with these irons).

So I'm wondering, if creating a combo set (same shaft SteelFiber I95) with the RSi in 5-7 would give me enough forgiveness to make it worthwhile. I certainly realize the miss is caused by the swing, but wondering if a more forgiving club in the longer irons makes since.

Or am I over thinking this, as we tend to do here sometimes?

Combo sets aren't uncommon. Heck pros do it, and a lot of companies sell combo sets now with more forgiving long irons. I definitely think the RSi 1's or 2's in the 5-7 would give you some more forgiveness as I have seen some great forgiveness across the long irons compared to previous sets I've owned. I know a couple others have too on the RSi2 review thread who are testing them for THP.

I don't think it's over thinking it at all when it comes to this, and I just think you have to weigh the benefits of a little more forgiveness with the added cost of adding a couple clubs. If the cost isn't an issue, I'd say go for it.

You're better off just getting a new set of irons imo
Way to be an enabler Hawk...LOL!!

So do you think the fact they are different model heads throw it off, or do you think, just for the extra $$$ I'd be getting a better set of clubs top to bottom.

Don't get me wrong, I love the way the higher irons feel, I mean the ones I was hitting saturday, were just so soft and were holding the target line so well. Then when I saw the results of the others...I was like WTH!!

But I had considered going the whole set right (I know emart2173 is going to say...told you so) But I hate to give these up after barely a year of use.

Nah, I'm just saying by the time you buy single irons you could have just sold the CB's and probably come out about equal from a financial perspective.

Nah, I'm just saying by the time you buy single irons you could have just sold the CB's and probably come out about equal from a financial perspective.
Gotcha!! Plus that would avoid the issue of having 1/2 a set somewhere down the line, if I did sell/move the CB's. Thanks for your thoughts.

I hadn't planned on being in the market for irons this spring. So perhaps, I'll just work on that mid to long iron swing more :)

Put me in the boat with hawk on just buying a new set. the effort to get a combo set and money just easier and long term better for new set (i am an enabler too so that this all with a grain of salt).

For someone that wants to stay in the TM family the RSi2s are a solid set from top to bottom and will offer good forgiveness in the longer irons and the short irons are easy and fun to hit.

BTW TM is at Nighthawk on Thursday 3-7 (and i might happen to be swinging by there)

I had the 14 TP CB's and was happy with them, but got them replaced on a warranty issue with the RSi TP's. I tried them and the other RSi irons out and didn't really care for any of them, mostly because of the way they felt at impact. I went and hit a bunch of other clubs and fell in love with the Bridgestone J15 CB's. While I definitely have off days, I feel like my strong point (as if I have an actual strong point) is my irons. But I was shocked at how much easier the Bridgestone CB's were to hit and they felt better to me than any other club too. Some of that could be the difference in shaft since the Bridgestones had the DG Pro shaft and I had KBS Tour X in my CB's.

So the Bridgestones may not be for you, but I think if you aren't seeing the results you want with the CB's across the set that you owe it to yourself to do some hunting for the right irons for you if you've determined that you are going to spend money.

I have this thought before, but instead of 5-7 it has been just the 5 iron. Then I'll go to the range and make sure my swing is the same as with the shorter irons and I start hitting it better again.

I had the 14 TP CB's and was happy with them, but got them replaced on a warranty issue with the RSi TP's. I tried them and the other RSi irons out and didn't really care for any of them, mostly because of the way they felt at impact. I went and hit a bunch of other clubs and fell in love with the Bridgestone J15 CB's. While I definitely have off days, I feel like my strong point (as if I have an actual strong point) is my irons. But I was shocked at how much easier the Bridgestone CB's were to hit and they felt better to me than any other club too. Some of that could be the difference in shaft since the Bridgestones had the DG Pro shaft and I had KBS Tour X in my CB's.

So the Bridgestones may not be for you, but I think if you aren't seeing the results you want with the CB's across the set that you owe it to yourself to do some hunting for the right irons for you if you've determined that you are going to spend money.
Thanks for the great thoughts.

Actually the Bridgestone J15 Cast are very intriguing and truthfully the Wilson D200 are very high on the list as well.

However due to a very good friend I can get TMAG stuff much much cheaper than Anything else. Mans while cost isn't the number one priority, it doesn't hurt and being loyal to a friend is a factor as well.
I have this thought before, but instead of 5-7 it has been just the 5 iron. Then I'll go to the range and make sure my swing is the same as with the shorter irons and I start hitting it better again.

LOL. So the 5 iron picked up on your vibes. Ha

Have you thought about adding a hybrid or two? I bet you get more bang for your buck going that direction.

Yeah, I've got the Bio Cell Hybrid that is currently set for 20.5 degrees, so I guess that makes it a 4, so maybe I could look at a 5 hybrid then, makes sense.

Way to be an enabler Hawk...LOL!!

So do you think the fact they are different model heads throw it off, or do you think, just for the extra $$$ I'd be getting a better set of clubs top to bottom.

Don't get me wrong, I love the way the higher irons feel, I mean the ones I was hitting saturday, were just so soft and were holding the target line so well. Then when I saw the results of the others...I was like WTH!!

But I had considered going the whole set right (I know emart2173 is going to say...told you so) But I hate to give these up after barely a year of use.

I have the previous model and if you decide to part with yours send me a PM as I would be interested in upgrading

I have the previous model and if you decide to part with yours send me a PM as I would be interested in upgrading
Definitely will do. But full disclosure, they are 1/2 over the listed specs on TMAG's site and 2* upright, that's not a biggie, they can be bent back. And they have the SteelFiber I95 Shafts in R Flex. I'm not the typical big swinger here :)

I can certainly relate. I think the short irons in this set are amazing, but as you get progressively longer they become harder to hit as well. Though that is true for every set an 8i is easier to hit than a 5i.

I can certainly relate. I think the short irons in this set are amazing, but as you get progressively longer they become harder to hit as well. Though that is true for every set an 8i is easier to hit than a 5i.

Yep no doubt. It could be my memory but I don't remember so much difference in my previous set RocketBladez.

I also had a buddy who is a teaching pro check the lie on the longer irons and it appeared to be correct.

As you and Hawk said. Longer irons are tough, that's why hybrids are so popular.

It's just frustrating. Ha

yeah, I think buying a new set would make more sense and ensure your set is consistent with yardage, feel, and looks.

I love my TP CBs. I actually tend to hit my long irons better when I'm having a good ball striking day.

Not a fan of the RSi's though. Tried them at a demo day and my irons just feel better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my TP CBs. I actually tend to hit my long irons better when I'm having a good ball striking day.

Not a fan of the RSi's though. Tried them at a demo day and my irons just feel better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yeah, but you are a beast Mike...I bet you put a hurting on those long and mid irons!!

Back