Buying new gear - Stock or Custom?

OITW

Reaction score
When you're in the market for new equipment from Woods all the way down to putter how do you buy it?

Stock off the rack or you get it ordered custom with different shafts grip loft lie adjusted etc?

I'm 60/40 mostly I will buy custom but the other time I will get stock and it works just fine

So how about you THP?

Except for my fairway woods everything is ordered custom.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I tend to buy stock and then do my own custom work.

For irons, I usually custom order since I need specs adjusted. Other than that, stock works just fine for now since I don't have too much knowledge about shafts.. which I'm currently trying to learn more about.

Woods I am mostly stock. Most times I will change the grips myself

Irons and wedges I am stock shafts but I will custom length, lie and grips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Irons, putter, driver, and wedges were off the rack new as is. 3w and hybo's from CPO with custom grips/shafts.

I generally like to be fit, or hit a few different things with a monitor to see what works best for me. So if I'm at a retailer trying out a driver, and they don't have the shaft/head combo that fits, I have no problem maybe paying slightly more and waiting for the right overall club. As far as wedges go, I have gotten custom stamped vokeys in the past which I love, but also got a great deal so I'd have to see the price again when the time comes. Sometimes I will hunt the bargain on eBay (my hybrids) for something I know fits that's slightly used. I'd probably agree that I'm about 60/40 as well.

I think I'll get fit every time from here on out. A good fitter can really make a big difference. Listened to fitting room podcast the other day and they were comparing to buying a suit. You could buy off the rack and it would look ok, but if you want it fit for you get measured and adjusted.

Irons, wedges and putters are normally ordered custom since I need a flatter lie than stock and do not have anywhere around me that can bend clubs. If buying off Ebay, I negotiate the adjustments as part of the deal. In regards to putters, I do not have the seller (whether it be OEM or Ebay) adjust to my specific length though as it seems everybody has a different way od measuring putter lengths. I do that when it gets to me.

Stock shafts almost never work for me unless it's a wedge but my most recent wedge(Sure Out) had to be custom ordered with an S400 shaft because the stock shaft was too light.

I was planning on going with the stock Rogue Max 65 or 75 for my Epic SZ driver but those shaft didn't agree with my swing in either x or s flex.

Putters I don't often have to order custom because they are easy for me to shorten and adjust the lie/loft angle.

Woods and irons are custom, all the others are stock other than the grips. Most OTR clubs I can find locally aren't really a good fit for me so it's more out of necessity than anything.

Mostly custom. Iron lengths and wedges are over standard and I like a couple of extra wraps on my grips. Drivers I like to play shorter than standard. Putters are the easiest for me to find stock that work for me.

Depends.

If I have a shaft here that I want to try in said club, I'll go stock and do the work myself. Sometimes though, there is a deal to be had to get something different at cost or extremely discounted compared to aftermarket (AD-TP's for me) and I'll go custom.

Stock. I bargain shop due to budget so I try to look for stock combos that would probably work and wait for a good deal

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

I'm going stock at this point. I'm sure as my swing improves and gets more ingrained that may change however.

I tend to buy off the rack, and have the clubs bent / cut to my specs. For things like aftermarket shafts I use the 'bay :)

I spent 20+ years as a custom club builder so everything was built by me/for me because I needed longer clubs and was between flexes. I, like all of us as we age, have shrunk 1" in in height (lost cartilage in knees and had a back fusion) so I am now std. length and have fallen into regular flex so I bought OEM clubs for the first time in a long time. It's difficult to justify the cost of new clubs so I bought new but not the most current model clubs (from Rock Bottom Golf and Hurricane Golf).

I start with stock clubs and work my way to the right fit and feel. I can game a stock shaft no problem if it fits my game.

Custom fit all the way for me int he future since the grandaddy. makes a difference. Except the GBB Epic 3 wood I just ordered, which will come stock with the T800, but since I want to try that shaft anyway, and the weight class is the same as my custom fit 3 wood, I'm def going to compare them. if the current 3 wood shaft is a better fit, I'll put that into the epic head.

Most clubs are custom, depending on free shaft upgrades. I don't have problems doing some work myself if options aren't what I'd like.

If it is just something I'm giving a shot I'll order it stock but something that is going in the bag long term will be custom ordered.

It depends on what deals I find. Even if I buy stock, it's probably something I'll change once it arrives.

I have only ever bought off the rack stock.

With the exception of my new set of irons that I was fit for, every other piece of golf equipment has been off the rack and will most likely remain that way with future purchases

If I am going to spend the money for new equipment I want it custom fitted so I know I getting the most out of my money.

Back