Cutting a belly putter down to a standard putter?

Randyman28

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi guys, I have a belly putter that I am considering cutting down to standard size.The putter is a taylormade ghost.Its about a 3 yr old model.This verison also comes in standard length putter size.Bo van pelt use to putt with the standard size one 2 yrs ago when he was playing good.

I actually use mine with a claw grip without it anchored to my body.So instead of cutting it to the standard 35 inches I was considering cutting it to 37-38 inches.I miss alot of putts because the putter is just too heavy to not have it anchored to my body..I think this would really work out well for me.

Since this version of belly putter comes in standard length would I be ok with the lie angle and weight if I cut it down to 37-38 inches from 42?

You will prolly have to counterbalance it to make it feel right. Its just the physics of having the heavy head.

Not 100% on the lie angle, Most of the belly putters I have bought and cut down I had to have the lie adjusted. as it was a good amount different from the standard versions..

I agree with counterbalancing it. Head weights on belly putters re typically a good bit more than the same putter built to standard length. I believe the standard lie is typically a couple of degrees more upright than standard putter also.

How heavy is it? I've got a Metal X #7 that was cut down and it feels great. 400g head. I do want to adjust the lie angle a tad.

My understanding is most belly putters are similar lie angles to standard putters, but broomstick putters are much more upright.

I think #Cookie did this with a Betti during one of the MC's. Maybe he can chime in.

your biggest problem will be the lie angle. A regular putter will be about 70* but a lot of belly putters are 78* range. When you set up it is very very uncomfortable.

your biggest problem will be the lie angle. A regular putter will be about 70* but a lot of belly putters are 78* range. When you set up it is very very uncomfortable.

I think only broomstick putters are 78* lie. I could be wrong though.

I cut down a manta from 41-36. I counterballanced with a 50g weight and havnt touched the lie angle best putting season to date!!

We were just talking about this yesterday with an old TaylorMade Monza that my buddy has. He only used it one round so it's in new condition. I choked way down and thought it looked great. I'm going to cut it, and though I believe the lie angle will be fine, I'm thinking the head will feel very heavy.

I did this with a Nike Drone belly putter, cut it to 38" (I'm a tall guy 6' 5") and just cut it to where it felt comfortable. I've had no issues doing this and I've putted fairly well the past year and a half.

Did this with a Yes! Callie belly putter. I cut it down from 40" to 36" and put one of the new superstroke counterbalance grips on it. I did notice on this model that between the cut down shaft and the longer grip that I had to grip over the stepped portion of the shaft, but I put some extra tape under that section to level it out. The shaft also had a larger diameter than standard, but it didn't present any problems or difficulties during grip installation. I was really happy with the results, I hope you will be as happy with yours.

You could always reshaft but there is no doubt you would about have to counterweight the butt to get the SW right.

I would leave it 2 inches longer than the length you want and play with the counter weights and a longer grip. You usually have a few inches of a counterweighted putter above your hands. You can always cut more off if you like.

I did this with a Ping Pick-em-up Belly putter. I cut it to 36" and didn't find anything wrong with the cut-down version. I put on an extra long superstroke putter grip and it worked just fine.

Back