not sure what to do in this situation (league play)

I'm pretty sure I've never actually seen anyone double hit the ball in person...

I've hit the ball three times before on one swing (clipped it with the shaft for the final ignomy). I've done a double hit at a THP event too. Fun times!

One more thought. Until you see people hitting provisionals or going back to the tee to retee, it's not USGA

If it happens again, I would say something like "Wow - just like Two Chip Chen!" It comes across as funny, usually.

And double hits are not that rare - I do it almost every time I practice chipping from the rough!!

The scoop, tho, is a little bizarre...

Scooping chips and whatever that putter practice stroke is called...Rob...just look the other way when he addresses the ball. Watching that kind of crap over the course of 9 holes would get into my head.

Mention it to him away from everyone else. Just let him know and then let him decide for himself what to do. He may know its a penalty and he may not. Keeping things light will help. That leaves him the choice of what to do about it.

Had a schedule switch so went to league last night. Saw two scoops but no double hits. He was having such a rotten round otherwise that I felt no need to bring up anything other than positive encouragement.

A guy mentioned something to me the other day and I wasn't offended. I'd let him know, that's golf. Chances are if he is double hitting chips more than once a round, let alone a year, it won't really matter. You never know though he might boot one of those in and steal a skin from you.

that's my thought too. the tc Chen is so rare, I have a hard time believing he did it 3 times in one round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's very hard to do. I've only had 3, one of those last month, in my almost 3,000 rounds of golf.

Soooooo.....

This response is for your personal information and may not be posted or disclosed by email or internet posting.

Just for grins, I sent this to the USGA. Below is their reply.

Thank you for your email. In the situation you describe, Player A incurred a one stroke penalty under Rule 14-4 in both match play and stroke play.

In match play, Player A is in breach of Rule 9-2 if he does not notify his opponent as soon as practicable that he has incurred a penalty and fails to correct the mistake before his opponent makes his next stroke. In four-ball match play, if Player A does breach Rule 9-2, he would be disqualified for the hole. If his breach assists his partner’s play or adversely affects an opponent’s play, Player B is also disqualified for the hole – see Rule 30-3f. Please note, a player has given wrong information even if it is due to the failure to include a penalty that he did not know he had incurred. It is the player’s responsibility to know the Rules – see Rule 6-1.

In four-ball stroke play, if Player A’s score on this hole is to count for the side and the side signs the score card with that score being lower than actually taken (i.e., the one-stroke penalty is not included), the side is disqualified under Rule 6-6d – see Rule 31-7a.

You may be interested in Decision 6-6a/5, Decision 30-3f/4 and Decision 31-7a/2.

Thank you for your interest in the Rules of Golf, which can be found on the USGA’s web site at www.rulesofgolf.com. Additionally, we invite you to watch the “Rules of Golf Explained” video series, which provides explanations of several of the most commonly applied Rules of Golf in easy-to-understand language, at www.usga-rules.com.

This response is for your personal information and may not be posted or disclosed by email or internet posting.

Sincerely,

download

United States Golf Association
P.O. Box 708, 77 Liberty Corner Road
Far Hills, NJ 07931

www.usga.org

Just read right over that I guess, but cool info non the less.

That is odd they would put that. I mean, it's a rules situation, wouldn't they want people to know so they can better understand? Seems almost like they're admitting the rules can be hard to interpret but don't really want the information out there. :shrug:

I'd mark it zero, Dude...It's a league game.

Sir, so they kindly replied to your request, they kindly asked you not to repost or disclose. AND you posted it? Why would you do that? Integrity, once lost, is damn near impossible to regain. Please sir, do the right thing and delete your post.
Best, Dan

Rob your a great dude I'm sure if he does it again you will kindly let me know and you'll be fine....

Soooooo.....

Just read right over that I guess, but cool info non the less.

That is odd they would put that. I mean, it's a rules situation, wouldn't they want people to know so they can better understand? Seems almost like they're admitting the rules can be hard to interpret but don't really want the information out there. :shrug:

Sir, so they kindly replied to your request, they kindly asked you not to repost or disclose. AND you posted it? Why would you do that? Integrity, once lost, is damn near impossible to regain. Please sir, do the right thing and delete your post.
Best, Dan

Missed that part of their email. My bad. :bomb:

no worries man I am sure its not huge deal. I was more or less looking at it as something funny.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it, even if I was on the other team. I don't like to kick a guy when he's just hit a poor chip/shot/putt/etc. It's just league, and while there are prizes, leagues are generally meant to be fun for the players. I highly doubt that they are following the USGA rules to the letter in that league.

Yeah, it's stupid. Then again, there are plenty of things about the rulebook that are silly.

Yeah, it's stupid. Then again, there are plenty of things about the rulebook that are silly.

Like the fact that a banana peel in a bunker can be removed without penalty, but a half-eaten pear in a bunker dropped by a player in the foursome in front of you cannot even though there is no pear tree on the entire course because it is a "natural object."

Back