Callaway XR Fairway Wood Review

Im starting to think this is my favorite fairway wood on the market right now. Hit it twice off the tee yesterday and it was a bullet and then once off the deck and smoked it. I was 263 out and 231 to the front of the green and flew it to just short of the fringe all carry.

Its in the bag now for sure.

Callaway XR Fairway Wood Review

That's a healthy 3 wood for sure.

Last edited:
Im starting to think this is my favorite fairway wood on the market right now. Hit it twice off the tee yesterday and it was a bullet and then once off the deck and smoked it. I was 263 out and 231 to the front of the green and flew it to just short of the fringe all carry.

Pure gold for me at #TheKing. Even worked out of the bark. :) really love the feel off the face.. . It's an explosion and then it just launches like it has afterburners....

Pure gold for me at #TheKing. Even worked out of the bark. :) really love the feel off the face.. . It's an explosion and then it just launches like it has afterburners....
It's got the best sound at impact in my opinion since the original R9 fairway wood and incredibly powerful feeling. Paired with a shaft that has similar feel to the driver means when I tee off I don't have that odd different feeling between the two. So far I really like it.

I need to track one down to spend time with. I'm all in on the concept of a Mini driver in my bag with how I hit the HW, but I freaking love 3woods.

I am honestly torn between wanting to hit this, but at the same time not wanting to in case I really like it and want to replace my existing 3w..... :beat-up:

It certainly sounds like a very good club for both tee shots and from the fairway which makes it a very attractive option for my bag

You're seeing great distance, JB! Not surprised to see it in the bag at all.

I am honestly torn between wanting to hit this, but at the same time not wanting to in case I really like it and want to replace my existing 3w..... :beat-up:

It certainly sounds like a very good club for both tee shots and from the fairway which makes it a very attractive option for my bag

I'm in the same boat. I love my BBA815 16* with rogue black. I've invested a lot of time and $$$ to getting it just right so I'm really hesitant on trying another fwy and going through the same thing again. But hitting Derek's really made for a strong argument to buy one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're seeing great distance, JB! Not surprised to see it in the bag at all.

Yeah I was playing with Jhoefer and rjbcamross and I had just come off 2 birdies and a double bogey and decided to give it a rip. Normally I choose something to put me at a certain number but had previously hit this on a tee box and did so well so went after it. Craziest part is, it was in the rough (but sitting up) and slightly below my feet. It was an absolute rope.

I think a XR 3W is going to be my next purchase. I hit my Optiforce decent but got a much better launch with the XR 3W in my fitting. I'll eventually get a 5W too, but between my current clubs I hit the 5W loads better.

Got my XR 4 wood out on the course for the first time and came away EXTREMELY impressed. Used it on 3 shots and all 3 did exactly what I was trying to do. The first time I took it out was off the fairway on a 590 yard par 5. There's no hazards on this hole, just really long. After a beautiful drive I figured what not take out the 4 wood. Played a little fade and hit a perfect mid/high fade to 80 yards in front of the green. I don't think I've ever hit a fairway wood off the fairway as nice as this one. It got up so easy and carried forever. The next time I used it was when I was under some limbs after a bad drive. I was 220 out and had to keep the shot low. I put the ball in the middle of my stance and took a 3/4 punch shot. Ran it out to about 20 yards short of the green right in the fairway. The last shot with the XR 4 wood was off the tee on a shorter par 4. Teed the ball up just above the grass. Aimed right down the middle and hit an absolute bomb that went dead straight. I don't think the ball moved an inch right or left. Left me in the middle of the fairway with a 3/4 AW approach to the green. Overall, after my first time out on the course with the XR 4 wood I can say this is the most confident I've ever felt with a fairway wood in my hands. It's so easy to get up off the deck, goes straight and carries for miles. Callaway really has a winner on their hands with the XR fairway woods.

Good feedback. I feel the same way.

I love the way this 5w sets up, and today I finally hit it off the deck like I did in Golfsmith. I cannot wait to pull it out next round

I hot the 4w 4 times today. 3 off the tee, one off the deck. Each time the people I played with muttered "wow." Not bragging but just a testament to how well this club performs. Long and forgiving. Seems to be a trend in the xr line

I have one of these on the way. Really looking forward to having a club I can use off the tee and off the deck. The 3 Deep was great off the tee but I really struggled off the deck with it. From everything I have read this club is going to be just what I am looking for.

Your going to like this one GD.

I have one of these on the way. Really looking forward to having a club I can use off the tee and off the deck. The 3 Deep was great off the tee but I really struggled off the deck with it. From everything I have read this club is going to be just what I am looking for.
I've seen you game the 3deep and 5deep and I have gamed them as well. I tell you no lie when I say the xr 4wood is as long as the 3deep, more forgiving, and launches higher with more ease from the deck. It is the best fairway I have ever gamed, and I've been thru a lot of them

I've seen you game the 3deep and 5deep and I have gamed them as well. I tell you no lie when I say the xr 4wood is as long as the 3deep, more forgiving, and launches higher with more ease from the deck. It is the best fairway I have ever gamed, and I've been thru a lot of them
That's exactly what I am looking for. I can't wait until it gets here and I can get it out on the course.

Kang, why did you go for a 4 wood instead of a 3 wood?

Kang, why did you go for a 4 wood instead of a 3 wood?
Well, I used to game 3w and 5w. After a couple years of
1. Not hitting enough shots on course to justify both 3w and 5w

2. 3w off the tee distance too close to driver

3. 3w off the deck was hard to elevate

I went with 4w (17°) in the xr. Thought process being it will provide better gapping from driver to utility, and be easier to elevate off the deck. I always hot 5w very well and I suspected that extra loft and shorter shaft may be the key so 4w was a great compromise. Also with the necessity of an extra wedge in the bag due to xr pros being so long made going 4w all the more sense.

I suspect I am hitting the 4w just as far if not very close to my old 3w (x2hot 3deep) and I don't hesitate to hit off the deck if needed. Just a better fit for my bag. The fact that the xr 4w is long, high and forgiving is all bonus

Really love my Pro 4 wood. All those contemplating the purchase will be ecstatic when they pull the trigger. It's pretty easy to hit and performs off of the tee and deck identically.

I was trying out 3 woods on the launch monitor at Golf Town over the weekend and tried this one against last year's Big Bertha (not the 815), the G30 and the Heaven Wood (they didn't have a V Series 3W). For me, the XR was the clear winner. I would say my average distance with the XR was roughly 12.5 yds longer than last year's Big Bertha with a handful of shots being 15 yards longer. Even when I took a bit too much of the mat with the XR, it still went nearly as long as the BB on well struck shots. I was quite surprised in the difference in distance I got between the two. The G30 did a bit better than the Bertha for me but not as good as the XR. How long is it typically before a model starts showing up on Callaway pre-owned? I'm guessing they just don't put them on there first model year? This is one hell of a club.

Not sure about how long it takes them to show up on Callaway pre-owned but globalgolf is giving 50% extra trade in credit on clubs traded in towards new Callaway gear right now. Might be something to check out.

I was trying out 3 woods on the launch monitor at Golf Town over the weekend and tried this one against last year's Big Bertha (not the 815), the G30 and the Heaven Wood (they didn't have a V Series 3W). For me, the XR was the clear winner. I would say my average distance with the XR was roughly 12.5 yds longer than last year's Big Bertha with a handful of shots being 15 yards longer. Even when I took a bit too much of the mat with the XR, it still went nearly as long as the BB on well struck shots. I was quite surprised in the difference in distance I got between the two. The G30 did a bit better than the Bertha for me but not as good as the XR. How long is it typically before a model starts showing up on Callaway pre-owned? I'm guessing they just don't put them on there first model year? This is one hell of a club.

I was able to put my 15* XR 3 wood in play in a scramble Monday and I'm very glad I went with this club. I only hit it twice, but the club was as straight as can be and LONG. I had one shot on a dog leg left from the left rough, over trees, with water right at 250 yards in front of the green. My normal 3 wood distance has been around 230 total off the deck. This ball went straight to the green, landed just short of the water, and rolled in. I've never hit a 3 wood this long, nor so easily. I was not the least bit upset with the ball finding the water!

So I am seriously hooked on this one. The sound is intoxicating and I am getting great distance. Reminds me of the V-Series in terms of sound with a bit lower launch for me. Plus it seems like no matter where i hit the darn thing on the face, the distance is the same.

Back