Pests/Insects on the Course

tbanks5

Reaction score
Handicap
So I'm kind of stuck where I'm at...most of my courses are in coastal/swampy type land or in deep woodlands. It may not bother other people as much but I have super sensitive hearing. Like crazy throw off my vertigo hearing with stuff buzzing around my head on really bad days. In the summer here, we have horseflies, biting fly's, gnats, mosquitos, and other insects buzzing around our heads.

Most days I'm ok, but lately it's been out of control where I live. I tried "Off" (regular & deep woods type) and even tried some of those bug repellant pins you can put on. Biting flies are the worst and nothing seems to deter them, until they've gotten a piece of you.

Does anyone else have an insect problem distracting you while you play? If so, what do you use to keep them away from you?

After my last round and today at the range I'm willing to try anything.

Gnats. I hate the freaking Georgia gnats. I REALLY need to try the solution my friend swears by; 1/3 Listerine, 1/3 imitation vanilla, 1/3 water. He swears by it.

Do you have Muskol down there? (www.muskol.com) Stuff just flat works better than anything else I have ever tried. It will keep horse fly's, black fly's, midges, mosquito's, and about everything smaller than a bird clear. Just make sure you don't spill it as it tends to melt nylon. I use the 100ml pump spray bottle, and on days when the bugs are bad most everyone else I play with does too.

Absorbine Jr. Its for sore muscles, like a BenGay type, but it works great for bug prevention. Its a roller and you just roll some on the back of your neck and under your cap brim.

Mosquitoes up here in the mornings and late nights, they can be brutal.

I think I swallowed two Kamikaze insects today.

Last edited:
I played with a guy last year that swore by a mix of whole cloves and cinnamon sticks in a mesh bag. He wore it on his belt in the back and it seemed to really work.
He smelled like Christmas the whole time, but no bugs....bugged him.

I like the 3M Ultrathon repellent. Most likely I'll be needing it when for our family vacation in Brainerd Minnesota June 7th. Mosquitoes are a small price to pay for such high quality golf.

68-2565_Golf_750x390_R1.jpg

thermacell?

Needed some spray yesterday as we were by the river. Mosquitos were out in force

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With all of the rain we've been having in Houston, I knew the mosquitoes would be coming in numbers. They finally hit this weekend at our course. I try to rub a Snuggle fabric softener all over, then follow that by bathing in Deep Woods Off. With the humidity, I'll sweat through it all, so frequent applications of Off and pray for the best :/

There's promethean spray, it's odorless and lasts a few washes.

Do you have Muskol down there? (www.muskol.com) Stuff just flat works better than anything else I have ever tried. It will keep horse fly's, black fly's, midges, mosquito's, and about everything smaller than a bird clear. Just make sure you don't spill it as it tends to melt nylon. I use the 100ml pump spray bottle, and on days when the bugs are bad most everyone else I play with does too.

This is the best stuff I have used.

Back