Can anyone make sense of this?

jjfcpa

Reaction score
Handicap
I've been using a set of Callaway Steelhead XR's and I decided to order a Callaway Apex CF 15 7 iron only to compare to my SH 7 iron.

I'm 15 yards longer with the Apex and my dispersion is much better. In addition, I love the smaller head on the apex. At my skill level, I didn't think I'd be able to hit the Apex that well, but it just feels easier to swing and I love the look at address.

I've been taking lessons for the last 4-5 weeks so I'm definitely striking the ball better, but I didn't think I would see this kind of an improvement with a club that is designed for better players. I'm not sure I'd put myself in the "better players" camp.

I do think there is a ton of tech and forgiveness packed into the cf16 making them work for a large range of players.

CF16's are fantastic irons and easy to hit!

When I was testing irons, I was 15yds longer with the cf16's than a anything else I hit. They fly. And they're really easy to hit. The steelheads I really didn't care for personally. They just felt awkward to me.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I have to admit, I really liked the SH's and they felt very comfortable... that is, until I hit a few shots with the CF 16's. At first, I couldn't figure out why they were "different" and felt so good at address. Then I put the head up to the SH's and the SH's seemed massive compared to the CF 16's. I thought... wait, I'm not good enough to hit the CF 16's because the head is so much smaller. So I put some impact tape on the CF 16's and much to my surprise, I was hitting very close to the sweet spot on most shots after just a short warm up. It was easy to see why they were longer... but not so easy to understand how this could be... especially given my skill level.

Can someone tell me if there is a downside to using a forged club like the CF 16 versus a cup face like the SH? Should I worry about this or just focus on distance and dispersion?

The cf16 is also cup face. And it's still considered a game improvement iron. If you like the way they feel better than your steelheads, make the switch.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Play with the CF for a few rounds under real course conditions and if the results are the same go with them.

Play with the CF for a few rounds under real course conditions and if the results are the same go with them.

That's exactly what I intend to do. I won't sell the SH's till I'm sure that the CF16's perform on the course the way they did in front of the launch monitor.

When I was testing irons, I was 15yds longer with the cf16's than a anything else I hit. They fly. And they're really easy to hit. The steelheads I really didn't care for personally. They just felt awkward to me.

My thoughts exactly, the Steelheads were the worst of about 5 irons I tried at my fitting.

Lots of variables at play including CG, shaft flex, shaft weight, and backspin. That's why we have to test drive golf equipment to find out what's best for each one of us.

Back