Callaway Steelhead XR vs Steelhead XR Pro

Quite a few differences but that finish tho.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I think I am going to bring both sets to the course this week for some testing.

My set got delivered last night and of course its going to rain ALL day

I just tested these two out for myself and the way Nate describes them in the first fit.
They are slimmer in each area, contain less offset, etc.

Both offer pretty darn good distance, that is for sure.

I just tested these two out for myself and the way Nate describes them in the first fit.
They are slimmer in each area, contain less offset, etc.

Both offer pretty darn good distance, that is for sure.
Good info JB. Another comparison - where do you think the Steelhead XR Pro sit forgiveness-wise compared to the Apex (not the pro) CF16?

Good info JB. Another comparison - where do you think the Steelhead XR Pro sit forgiveness-wise compared to the Apex (not the pro) CF16?

Similar. They are a tiny bit larger to my eye (when not side by side). I think the CF16 offers more low on the face (but then again I think it offers more low on the face to most irons).
Both solid irons, different price points.

Similar. They are a tiny bit larger to my eye (when not side by side). I think the CF16 offers more low on the face (but then again I think it offers more low on the face to most irons).
Both solid irons, different price points.

great feedback - low on the face is a key miss for me. May try and snatch a CF16 7i at some point to compare to my current gamer.

Test both yesterday , for my game I was much more consistent the standard xr also about 5 yards longer maybe due to the shaft.
gb

So yesterday I took the 7 and 8 iron from both sets to the range for a while and hit them. I really like both sets honestly. As a person that has a swing that is a bit steep and suffers from an over the top miss, I honestly think I could play either of these and be perfectly happy. I thought I preferred the look of the Chrome vs the darker finish, but when out there, preferred the way the darker finish frames the ball.

Hitting them reminded me of what I liked about them the last time. Lower spin, which is good for me, nice high ball flight and a distance that is fantastic. I found it easier to flight the Pro models low when I wanted, so I am leaning towards those if I had to choose which iron. For those that do not like a lot of offset and still like forgiveness, the Pro model sets up pretty neutral to my eye.

I finally settled on the Steelhead XR's and the Cobra F7's, but the current trade in bonus helped my decision. I do wish the standard versions had an option for the dark finish.

I really like the Steelhead Pros, and am riding with them right now, but still prefer the look of the Steelhead irons more. For years I was a dark iron preferenced golfer, but it seems in recent years, I just love the look of chrome and satin.

I really like the Steelhead Pros, and am riding with them right now, but still prefer the look of the Steelhead irons more. For years I was a dark iron preferenced golfer, but it seems in recent years, I just love the look of chrome and satin.

Making the switch from Pros to regulars for today's round to see what the difference is for me. Based on the THP TV spot in the 1st post, I should do fairly well with them.

I really enjoy the Steelhead Pros. I replaced the Apex CF16s which I thought would be impossible but here we are. Like JB said, the way these frame the ball and the way they allow me to work the ball it was a no brainer. They have a look a really enjoy and they also are pretty damn forgiving. They are pretty firmly entrenched in the bag.

I have had the SHXR for about one month and not entirely sure if I like or dislike them. The shiny look for me is not really me but no biggie. Since it is a bore thru design I was expecting decent sound/ feel at impact. Wrong. The sound/ feel is harsh and for me not pleasing. The only reason I bought them is they were like new $325 5-AW . I wanted to move into graphite and mine have the 60 gram graphite Matrix. The SW was so low I was forced to extend all but the AW 3/8 inch with removable wood dowels and add the ugly lead tape to get up to D-0 +. The carry distance is very good, more than a half club longer for me. I guess that is good but not convinced that this leads to better scores.

The dispersion is not that good but it is early . The 60 gram shafts will require work to get comfortable.
. At this point do not have confidence in the 5 iron and game my Ping G25 #4 and 5 iron.
To cover all options regarding my need for graphite I just got a set of Titleist AP1 714's with 85 gram graphite. Looking good for these to be my gamer irons for this seas on . 73 in June will have my lighter shaft irons on hold until absolutely needed.

Back