Longest Most Forgiving Driver

I like this, it goes to show how individual things can be. Especially since some of the drivers named in here are some of the most demanding 460cc heads ever released, everyone is different.

#ClubClash is going to warp minds though...

the g30 was the only point and shoot driver I've ever hit in a real round. even though it wasn't long for me, it was very forgiving. but like every ping product I've ever hit (with the exception of the original s56), I hated the feel.

on the driving range, cobra fly z xl was a beast.

I'll be testing a Bridgestone 815 soon, hopefully later this month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've owned about 25 drivers over the past 4 or so years. I think forgiveness means different thing to different people. Here are ones that stand out for different aspects of forgiveness:

- Best for lateral face miss: Callaway FT-Iq. In low loft, it was still pretty long for me.
- Best for creating carry: Cobra AMP offset. I had one with a stiffer flex than I normally play and that kept some of the nasty high spin off, which these can be known for. As a result it got some great carry, yet could still get some roll. I hit 78% FWs with this thing, which is an all time high for me. Shouldn't have sold that one...
- Best for the vertical face miss: Adams XTD Ti (double slot model from 2014). Hot, hot, hot, and hot high or low on the face. I just struggled with a two way lateral miss with this.
- Best all around: Ping Anser. I've had two of these in different lofts but like the lower lofted 9.5 better. I had a 10.5 that was set to closed/11. It was for me extremely forgiving in all ways, but I hit it a bit too high. The 9.5 set at neutral is just right. It's as long as anything I've hit, but is also very forgiving. I like it better than the K15 or G25 which I have owned (and even had the G25 with the exact same shaft).

I like this, it goes to show how individual things can be. Especially since some of the drivers named in here are some of the most demanding 460cc heads ever released, everyone is different.

Sometimes it takes an event and letting go of personal bias to realize that though.

I think the wrong shaft could turn someone off from any given head too if they dont have an opportunity to try a few different options when testing things out.

Sometimes it takes an event and letting go of personal bias to realize that though.

I think the wrong shaft could turn someone off from any given head too if they dont have an opportunity to try a few different options when testing things out.

A shaft won't change ball-speed retention.

A shaft won't change ball-speed retention.

But it might affect a players spin, swing speed, feel and/or swing and lead to less than the best results he/she is capable of and result in them not liking the club head. When in reality it may not be the head causing them the problems they see.

But it might affect a players spin, swing speed, feel and/or swing and lead to less than the best results he/she is capable of and result in them not liking the club head. When in reality it may not be the head causing them the problems they see.

Never said the shaft didn't play a role, but I do think many vastly overthink it. It doesn't matter what you plug in there if your swing lacks all consistency and repeatability, thats a fact.

Anywho, back to the regularly scheduled program, I'm enjoying the thread. Especially since THP is going to change the game entirely. #ClubClash

Very true about how individual it can be. Looking forward to seeing what comes out of club clash! I love having more data, helps me narrow down what to try for myself.

BTW
There was a bit of sarcasm in my post because the Covert Tour is not very forgiving (as everyone already knows, especially thin hits), but for some reason I just find the center more often than with any driver I have had so far. More forgiveness would not be unwelcome though, if I could also keep all the good stuff.

Rye you nailed it. Dosn't matter where on the face I hit it. If I'm open or closed a little on impact it just goes. I habitually slice drivers. K15, G30sf all no go. I'm hitting the 10 1/2 set to 11, stock Ping shaft. It just gets up in the air and goes. If I slice it it's just a fade. Iv'e seen hooks just turn back and land straight out.

I know it's more a player's club and very low spin. But for some reason it just flat out works. Even an I25 isn't even close. It just fits me well.

Mark Shuman

After being fit for it, I haven't found a driver in 2 years that can beat my 2014 Big Bertha. I had three drives today over 300 yards with it (9 holes), all in the fairway. When one gets the weights in the right place and the right shaft, this thing is SO forgiving.

Longest Most Forgiving Driver

Never said the shaft didn't play a role, but I do think many vastly overthink it. It doesn't matter what you plug in there if your swing lacks all consistency and repeatability, thats a fact.

very much disagree with this. I have 8 different shafts in my trunk that I can play with 2 different heads, and I am "test driving" 3 bstone j15 4h with 3 different shafts right now. I can unequivocally say that if I didn't try different shafts with the existing heads (ie stuck with off-the-rack setups) I never would have looked at these clubs again. massive differences in dispersion and confidence, and sometimes big differences in carry and distance, with the off-the-rack being a real stinker FOR ME each time. and I have seen on LMs and on the course how a specific shaft can improve the consistency of a swing based on feel (maybe that's weight, torque, kick point, whatever). does it equate to 30+ yards and more fairways or greens? not always. but I have seen the difference. now if I could just trust the fitting and not be a club ho, my wallet would be grateful.

very much disagree with this. I have 8 different shafts in my trunk that I can play with 2 different heads, and I am "test driving" 3 bstone j15 4h with 3 different shafts right now. I can unequivocally say that if I didn't try different shafts with the existing heads (ie stuck with off-the-rack setups) I never would have looked at these clubs again. massive differences in dispersion and confidence, and sometimes big differences in carry and distance, with the off-the-rack being a real stinker FOR ME each time. and I have seen on LMs and on the course how a specific shaft can improve the consistency of a swing based on feel (maybe that's weight, torque, kick point, whatever). does it equate to 30+ yards and more fairways or greens? not always. but I have seen the difference. now if I could just trust the fitting and not be a club ho, my wallet would be grateful.

i think you missed JMans point about a swing lacking repeatability and consistency. As a 10 HC you have a pretty repeatable swing, so it's natural you would see some differences.

Someone at at my level, which right now is about as far as you can get from repeatable, I can't produce enough consistent swings to get a valid comparison.

i think you missed JMans point about a swing lacking repeatability and consistency. As a 10 HC you have a pretty repeatable swing, so it's natural you would see some differences.

Someone at at my level, which right now is about as far as you can get from repeatable, I can't produce enough consistent swings to get a valid comparison.

Thank you sir.

Rye you nailed it. Dosn't matter where on the face I hit it. If I'm open or closed a little on impact it just goes. I habitually slice drivers. K15, G30sf all no go. I'm hitting the 10 1/2 set to 11, stock Ping shaft. It just gets up in the air and goes. If I slice it it's just a fade. Iv'e seen hooks just turn back and land straight out.

I know it's more a player's club and very low spin. But for some reason it just flat out works. Even an I25 isn't even close. It just fits me well.

Mark Shuman

Yeah, it is surprisingly forgiving. I also turn it over a bit easier than I did the G25 (with the same physical shaft but the head swapped). I know the Anser is supposed to be low, launch and low spin, but it works well for me. I think Pings in general are a bit higher launching and spinning when compared to some other OEMs.

I would say;
titleist 915 D2 or
Cobra Fly Z+

but this weekend I golfed with my gm from work who is a horrible golfer. His driver was the only consistent club in the bag that day. Long and straight. Maybe with a small fade, which used to be a 70 yard slice. He was using the "Big Bertha Alpha". Never seen him hit like that before. Never seen anyone kiss a driver so much either, lol.

My vote goes Alpha 815. Ive had a few that felt pretty ugly but absolutely surprised the hell out of me with the distance. She's got some forgiveness no doubt

I've got to agree with the Alpha 815 - when well struck, the ball screams but the misses still give excellent distance.

I love my 815. It is far and away better than my last driver on mishits. I do hit it longer but it is the bad swings that are so much better than my last driver.

Back