Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 Driver Review Thread

I strongly considered this exact udesign when I bought my BB 815. I know I'm in the minority but if given the choice of any head color I'd take white without hesitation. Just didn't think it was worth the $100 markup at the time.

Definitely not worth the mark up, but im with you about the white head color. Although, that flat black looks pretty freaking good too!

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by kuyaariel
" Man. Too bad the 815's from CPO doesn't come with the awesome, cool, stock headcover! I know, I know... It's just a headcover, but it's one of the coolest I've seen in a while."

I've ordered two of them in the last month from CPO (a 12 with 665 speeder and 10.5 degree with Rogue Silver) and both came with the brand new, red, leather headcover.

I just got one from Callaway preowned and it came with a generic headcover. I would have preferred the red leather one but for the price I paid I'm not complaining. Just a warning to anyone who thinks it's a deal breaker.

Did a little tinkering with the 815 today at the range. Think I'm settling on the following setup... 10.5* w/ Speeder 565 S, set at Neutral Standard, Core Up, Heavy weight in the heel. Felt like I maximized my carry leaving it at 10.5 whereas I get a little more total distance at 9.5. I've been playing a lot of Kikuya with little roll and am liking the better carry.

Sure do love this stick, its been a ton of fun getting it dialed in. I'm playing a little baby fade and its awesome just watching the ball hang in the air and carry for days.

Did some tinkering and started hitting it NICELY!!!!

7g on the toe.
1g on the heel.
+1 loft.
Core down.

I just got one from Callaway preowned and it came with a generic headcover. I would have preferred the red leather one but for the price I paid I'm not complaining. Just a warning to anyone who thinks it's a deal breaker.

Interesting. I just got my 12 degree on Wednesday and it came with the new, red leather headcover. I got it in "Very Good" condition and came with a couple of scratches on the crown so I called Customer service to see if that was normal. They said it wasn't so they sent me a new replacement, overnight and it came a little after 9 this morning. It also came with the new, red, leather headcover. Keep in mind that I originally ordered the 12 degree about 5 weeks ago. It came with the new, red headcover. I got it with the 565 Speeder shaft and it was definitely launching higher than I liked so I sent it back and got the 10.5 with Rogue Silver. It came with the new, red, leather headcover. Then the prices dropped and everything went on sale. I called customer service and they refunded me $128. I figured "what the hell" since prices were so good and I got the refund, re-ordered the 12 degree when I saw one with the 665 Speeder(they didn't have it the first time I got it) which should launch a little lower. So, I've basically received the BB Alpha 815 in the mail 4 times in the last month and they've all come with the red, leather head cover.

Jman, this is along thread. I've read your initial review, would you mind doing one of your pros and cons list please?

Interesting. I just got my 12 degree on Wednesday and it came with the new, red leather headcover. I got it in "Very Good" condition and came with a couple of scratches on the crown so I called Customer service to see if that was normal. They said it wasn't so they sent me a new replacement, overnight and it came a little after 9 this morning. It also came with the new, red, leather headcover. Keep in mind that I originally ordered the 12 degree about 5 weeks ago. It came with the new, red headcover. I got it with the 565 Speeder shaft and it was definitely launching higher than I liked so I sent it back and got the 10.5 with Rogue Silver. It came with the new, red, leather headcover. Then the prices dropped and everything went on sale. I called customer service and they refunded me $128. I figured "what the hell" since prices were so good and I got the refund, re-ordered the 12 degree when I saw one with the 665 Speeder(they didn't have it the first time I got it) which should launch a little lower. So, I've basically received the BB Alpha 815 in the mail 4 times in the last month and they've all come with the red, leather head cover.

Now you're just making me feel bad! They show used red leather 815 headcovers in stock for sale so I am not sure why they decided to send me the generic one instead. The generic black cover they sent is really cheap looking and feeling - like something off a Walmart boxed set. It's bad enough that I will just use the Taylor Made cover off my old driver.

My driver was sold as "very good" and I am very happy with its condition. I also received an X2 Hot hybrid that was supposed to be in "average" condition and was much better than I expected. I have placed multiple orders from Callaway preowned and other than the cheesy headcover for the driver I have been very satisfied with their service and pricing.

Back to the 815, I really enjoyed it on its first outing this morning. It has a great feel and sound and the ball just goes if you remotely do your part.

I finally got a chance to demo a 815 for a 18 holes. I am impressed, One of my best driving rounds in awhile . Very forgiving, straight driver 9 of 12 fairways . Distance wise longer than
my r1 , miss hits about the same but on the button 10 or better yards.
I didn't get into the adjustments to much. I forgot to even look at the gravity core . I really need to hit it more before buying one but Callaway preowned has lefties on for 190 or less so tempting.
I was hitting the speeder 50 gram model , anyone hit this with the Diamana s+ 60 blue ? Really like how smooth that shaft feels but don't know how if it's a fit with that head.
A very positive field test with it. Nice driver.
gb

I finally got a chance to demo a 815 for a 18 holes. I am impressed, One of my best driving rounds in awhile . Very forgiving, straight driver 9 of 12 fairways . Distance wise longer than
my r1 , miss hits about the same but on the button 10 or better yards.
I didn't get into the adjustments to much. I forgot to even look at the gravity core . I really need to hit it more before buying one but Callaway preowned has lefties on for 190 or less so tempting.
I was hitting the speeder 50 gram model , anyone hit this with the Diamana s+ 60 blue ? Really like how smooth that shaft feels but don't know how if it's a fit with that head.
A very positive field test with it. Nice driver.
gb

I found the Diamana S+ 60 to fit the head.

I know a guy with 105s and Callaway fit him into the 815 10.5 S+ 70 X Stiff... guess he has an aggressive transition.

Didn't have the best tee game yesterday. Kept hitting behind the ball. But with the gravity core up it still sent the ball out a respectable distance....

This driver continues to be a source of confidence for me. Used it on 6 holes during my round today and was 5/ 6 in fairways hit.

This driver continues to be a source of confidence for me. Used it on 6 holes during my round today and was 5/ 6 in fairways hit.

Thats solid. You were hitting it well when I saw you last. Im with you, it's just a club that I stand on the box I feel confident with.

Thats solid. You were hitting it well when I saw you last. Im with you, it's just a club that I stand on the box I feel confident with.
It really does make you feel confident when you are in the box.

I know I am reaping the benefits of having one of the best fitters in the country putting me into that club, but the set up is just perfect for me. Absolutely love this club.

Hit some of my best drives ever with this today. I still love the forgiveness, and sound on well struck balls.

Love having a good idea where the ball is headed! (Driver has always been an issue for me)

Since I'm out of the The Open Contest... I decided to buy one. $185, like new condition. Not a bad deal! Speeder 665 in X-flex. Decent setup right?

Did some tinkering and started hitting it NICELY!!!!

7g on the toe.
1g on the heel.
+1 loft.
Core down.

This is how I have mine setup right now, hit it well on the LM at my lesson, looking to get some time on the course with it tonight at league.

Since I'm out of the The Open Contest... I decided to buy one. $185, like new condition. Not a bad deal! Speeder 665 in X-flex. Decent setup right?

Great price - I have the 665 in Stiff flex myself and love it! I cut it down 1.5" though as I thought the shaft was a little too hard to control...

I was hitting bombs with my Alpha 815 yesterday. Putting a good swing on the ball with this club is an awesome feeling. Even toe misses aren't that bad.

Great price - I have the 665 in Stiff flex myself and love it! I cut it down 1.5" though as I thought the shaft was a little too hard to control...

Yeah, I think I'm going to cut an inch. 45.5 stock right?

Just picked up my 815 today, looking forward to getting on the range

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had another long (for me), boring, middle of the fairway round yesterday with my 815 LZ combo. She's going to prove to be a potent weapon during our skins rounds.

I spoke with a local pro and asked about custom ordering a 815 alpha and she told me the left hand was no longer available for custom orders in Canada it has been discontinued already ?? In stock models only as a new model is coming out.
Yikes ..Cally seems to be following the old TM marketing model ..
gb

I spoke with a local pro and asked about custom ordering a 815 alpha and she told me the left hand was no longer available for custom orders in Canada it has been discontinued already ?? In stock models only as a new model is coming out.
Yikes ..Cally seems to be following the old TM marketing model ..
gb

Sounds to me like they are doing their best to NOT follow the TM model ie. be stuck with huge amounts of inventory at the end of the year and lower the value for said inventory and new releases.

What were you trying to find? Lots of good options on CPO and occasionally in the THP market.

Back