Using a drone while golfing?

mprecin12

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has used a drone while golfing? Although they don't have great battery life, they have multiple batteries you can buy, I would think it would be cool to have a flyover while you golf. What experiences have you guys had?

Using a drone while golfing?

I bought a cheap one last summer, fun to play with but on a windy day they take serious effort to keep track of and fly. Definitely a cool concept I'd love to see with someone with a high end unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here! Definitely wouldn't want to take it on a windy day!

If you had someone and that's all they did during the round, that would be great. But I don't think I would want to golf and fly a drone at the same time.

Good point! I was reading the features of the DJI Mavic Pro and they have a feature that follows you without you controlling it.

Good point! I was reading the features of the DJI Mavic Pro and they have a feature that follows you without you controlling it.

Now THAT could work. As long as you don't have to drive through a tunnel!

JB has used the drone on a few holes during events.

It could embrace the moment when a shank happens haha or the moment of a ace!

Is any of the coverage on here?

Considering how loud they are I wouldn't want to inconvenience other groups.

Considering how loud they are I wouldn't want to inconvenience other groups.
Just turn the music up so loud that you drone out the sound of the drone!

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Is any of the coverage on here?

Yes it's around. I'm mobile so can't find it right now for you, but I'm sure someone could link it.

I can tell you that most golf courses don't allow them that we have contacted for THP events.

Sergio Garcia had some fun with drones a little while back. I think it would be fun for opening tee shots and a course fly over, but over a 4 hour round it sounds like a lot of work.

I played yesterday and guy was standing on his deck flying his drone over the fairway. It was loud and irritating as hell. If I could only hit the ball like Sergio! :devil:

Last edited:
Yeah I'd definitely have to ask to see what courses allow it!

I played yesterday and guy was standing on his deck flying his drone over the fairway. It was loud and irritating as hell. If I could only hit the ball like Sergio! :devil:

We had one loudly hovering over our house a couple weeks ago and at the time I happened to have my .22 air rifle in my hands. It was very hard for me not to pull the trigger.

We almost hit one climbing out of Palm Springs the other day. It was too high over one of the golf courses. It's only a matter of time before one of these gets sucked into a jet engine.

We almost hit one climbing out of Palm Springs the other day. It was too high over one of the golf courses. It's only a matter of time before one of these gets sucked into a jet engine.

I live within 5 miles of the airport which prohibits me from flying one.

I was wondering if anyone has used a drone while golfing? Although they don't have great battery life, they have multiple batteries you can buy, I would think it would be cool to have a flyover while you golf. What experiences have you guys had?

Seems like something that would really piss me off if I was in the group behind anyone who was using a drone...I might hit a few balls into them...

It wouldn't bother me if someone was flying a drone. We have airplanes landing at a small airstrip all the time at one of our local courses. If the drone was zipping up and down in front of me or around me hen yeah, I get it but if it's just high above the course "droning" around it shouldn't be an issue. I feel sometimes people get too worked up about outside "noise" when golfing. Just hit the ball.

It wouldn't bother me if someone was flying a drone. We have airplanes landing at a small airstrip all the time at one of our local courses. If the drone was zipping up and down in front of me or around me hen yeah, I get it but if it's just high above the course "droning" around it shouldn't be an issue. I feel sometimes people get too worked up about outside "noise" when golfing. Just hit the ball.

I agree. If I hit a bad shot, it's because I suck, not because there was a humming noise from a drone above lol

Some of the YouTube golfers like Crossfield and AussieGolfReviewer have incorporated drones into their videos and it is pretty cool to see a flyover of the hole before they play it but I wouldn't want to deal with one during my round.

So I ended up at Best Buy just to check out the DJI mavic pro, they said online they had none at any locations within 50miles, so it would keep my temptation of getting one low. So I go there and the system in store said there was actually 1 in stock, so the guy looks for it and can't find it, then he said there maybe 1 more spot it maybe, he checks over there and bam it's there. I'm just thinking in my head please don't be here haha. So he walks out with 1 in hand, a guy orders 1 online and never picked it up. The employee was shocked to have it and was getting me all pumped for it, with how he was talking about it haha. So the temptation of trying not to buy one went out the window haha. I did end up buying it. I have to say it's not really loud, when you have in low near you, it's a little loud but tolerable, but once it's higher in the air you can't hear it that much. The options on this is awesome. Basically set it up to follow you as your walking without you having to drive it. Next weekend I'm gonna see if I can bring it too the course and hopefully will have great views and will let everyone know how it is!

You could have had my DJI Phantom 3 for next to nothing...haha
Enjoy the new drone.

Back