short game strategy

I wish I had some advice for you Marty, but I'm terrible around the green. This guy though....he's got touch for days.

I don't flop unless I absolutely have too. I'll deloft a PW or even take a 7 or 8 whenever I can to run it up there.

I never flop and my highest lofted wedge is 56 this forces me to hit the bump and runs which usually work out pretty well. I just was so inconsistent with a 60 degree wedge.

I also practice with all my wedges chipping and pitching around the greens. This gives me so many options. I also take the time to assess my options for a shot before pulling a club, this has taken years to get used to.

thanks for your help everyone, I spent a few hours yesterday practicing the bump and run shot with and iron (8-P). I have never used nor practiced thes shots before, and I think this will help me, I used to have either a great shot or a very poor one when I was very close to the green with a higher lofted wedge.

I also practiced a lot of 30-50 yarders with a bunker in front of me, and I noticed one thing: when the rough is thick, I have trouble using my RTX CB 50*, I found that my tour trustys (54* and 58*) were way better at cutting trough the rough.

all in all, it was a very good practice session, I need to keep at it though, it will help me a lot in the future

thanks for your help everyone, I spent a few hours yesterday practicing the bump and run shot with and iron (8-P). I have never used nor practiced thes shots before, and I think this will help me, I used to have either a great shot or a very poor one when I was very close to the green with a higher lofted wedge.

I also practiced a lot of 30-50 yarders with a bunker in front of me, and I noticed one thing: when the rough is thick, I have trouble using my RTX CB 50*, I found that my tour trustys (54* and 58*) were way better at cutting trough the rough.

all in all, it was a very good practice session, I need to keep at it though, it will help me a lot in the future
Keep at it Marty you will figure out what works for you.

Keep at it Marty you will figure out what works for you.

I really need this, I played 9 holes before heading to the short game area yesterday and I had 14 (!!!!) shots between about 50 yards and the green... this is costing me a lot.

nothing in my game is great these days, I should also work on hitting more greens, but without all these missed chips, I think I could break 90 consistently

I use my PW as much as possible, more bump n run style. Never really like using my other irons as my distance control isn't as good. Back in the stance for a low shot, forward for higher. 53* if I need a little more spin for it to stop and 60* pretty much only for short shots where I need height. Get solid with one club which for me is the PW. It builds trust & confidence which I think is the biggest key.

I always approach the shot game the same way.

Lie - whats my lie like and what is my highest percentage shot from that lie.
Landing - Where can I land the shot? How big is my margin of error if I try to land it there? How big is my landing circle? What will the ball do when it lands?
Leave - Whats the worst possible leave if I don't pull the shot off? Should I play a different shot to a different location that will offer a better leave?

I spend more time on picking where to land the shot than anything else. It is your target and you need to get the target as small as possible for the lie you are coming out of.

I agree with Tedfroop, you really have to understand what your lie dictates and capabilities are first. There are so many variables in answering strategy questions but generally as an example: if it calls for a flop shot (but you know 50%+ of the time you can't hit a good flop shot) use strategy to chip it to where you know you can at worst 2-putt.

Most people have the illusion they can chip in 100% of the time and that's not realistic and as you no doubt already know, once you start hitting shots you know you can't hit, then the big numbers start to leak into you game, and the domino effect kicks in.

I'm always working on new tips with video and this is one of the tips that is asked for the most.

Next time you're out just playing by yourself (or friends where this won't distract them), hit the shot you "hope" you can hit, then drop another one and chip to safety for a 2-putt.
Practice this way long enough and you'll see your trends on what allows you to score best!
Best wishes!

Back