Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 Driver Review Thread

I still LOVE this club. I spent some time off the course at the range today with the wrench close by... I can't tell a difference between core up and core down... They both were similar trajectories (with range balls at least). I get the higher spin with core up and lower core down... But is spin all that it effects? Does the core position impact ball flight independent of higher spin typically climbing the ball higher?

What at position do you guys use?

Apologies if this has been asked before.
What is the difference between putting the heavy weight in the heel and putting the cog on draw bias?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apologies if this has been asked before.
What is the difference between putting the heavy weight in the heel and putting the cog on draw bias?

Heavy weight in the heel slows down the heel allowing the face to close with ease at downswing. Draw setting in the hosel simply makes the club more upright

Heavy weight in the heel slows down the heel allowing the face to close with ease at downswing. Draw setting in the hosel simply makes the club more upright

So would the draw setting promote more or less spin? Or is this swing based and it won't make that much difference? I only ask because the guy who fit me told me to leave it at neutral because the draw setting was causing more spin, which I don't need.

So would the draw setting promote more or less spin? Or is this swing based and it won't make that much difference? I only ask because the guy who fit me told me to leave it at neutral because the draw setting was causing more spin, which I don't need.
Imo it depends more on your height and swing plane... I could be wrong but the lie angle is an aspect of driver, fairway, and hybrid fitting that is often overlooked? Or its just taken care of by butt trimming of the shafts. Bottom line is if your fitter says neutral fits you better, I see no reason to dispute that

Thank you for clarifying this - not sure if it was previously mentioned...

With that said, when I was fit for my irons I was fit to be 2* upright - at the moment I am playing the driver at 11.5* and neutral with the heavy weight in the heel.....wonder if the more upright setting is better for me?

When I was fit for the driver I didn't mess with the "neutral" or "draw" setting - wondering if this is the reason my miss is to the right when I try and go after it....

With that said, when I was fit for my irons I was fit to be 2* upright - at the moment I am playing the driver at 11.5* and neutral with the heavy weight in the heel.....wonder if the more upright setting is better for me?

When I was fit for the driver I didn't mess with the "neutral" or "draw" setting - wondering if this is the reason my miss is to the right when I try and go after it....
The beauty of adjustable hosel.... doesn't hurt to try :)

The beauty of adjustable hosel.... doesn't hurt to try :)

Absolutely - going to try this tonight and report back...

It's tough to say about lie angle as Callaway does not advertise its standard lie angle -- At neutral, my V Series is 59, and draw is 60 according to my instructor's measurement with very advanced software/hardware gizmos.

If so, the lie is fairly upright already. If your miss is a big right that is a push, then the first issue I'd address is club face angle at impact - your club face is probably open at impact. You could strengthen your grip slightly since you have the heavier weight in the heel to help close. Flight is a combo of face angle at impact and path. If you want a push draw, try a slightly open face at impact, but more of an in to out swing path so flight starts right and curves left.

Lots of times when I go after it, guess what, it is sold contact but high and right -- It's me, not the club.

Enjoy.

It's tough to say about lie angle as Callaway does not advertise its standard lie angle -- At neutral, my V Series is 59, and draw is 60 according to my instructor's measurement with very advanced software/hardware gizmos.

If so, the lie is fairly upright already. If your miss is a big right that is a push, then the first issue I'd address is club face angle at impact - your club face is probably open at impact. You could strengthen your grip slightly since you have the heavier weight in the heel to help close. Flight is a combo of face angle at impact and path. If you want a push draw, try a slightly open face at impact, but more of an in to out swing path so flight starts right and curves left.

Lots of times when I go after it, guess what, it is sold contact but high and right -- It's me, not the club.

Enjoy.

You mean the club can't mask a swing flaw?!?!?! HAHA :alien:

I have switched my grip slightly as I was fighting a nasty hook all last season to be more "neutral" - have to find the happy medium - Looks like some tinkering and what not is due this evening...

You mean the club can't mask a swing flaw?!?!?! HAHA :alien:

I have switched my grip slightly as I was fighting a nasty hook all last season to be more "neutral" - have to find the happy medium - Looks like some tinkering and what not is due this evening...

Or you can do the old but reliable drill (for a righty) of feeling as if you are turning the left wrist down to the ground at impact that every instructor I've had ... uses. That may help close the face.

Good luck in your quest ... and this is a quest for us all.

Or you can do the old but reliable drill (for a righty) of feeling as if you are turning the left wrist down to the ground at impact that every instructor I've had ... uses. That may help close the face.

Good luck in your quest ... and this is a quest for us all.

Hmmmm I like this method....I like the idea of that instead of switching my grip as I do not really fight a high right shot with my irons/hybrids....

I'm so "all in" on this driver, I either want a uDesign, or to send mine to Continental.

You read my mind. I'm thinking of buying a used driver to send this one off. Such a great driver for me.

Either matte black with lime accents on the sole, or a matte silver....with lime accents on the sole. :alien:

I won't lie.. After being on their facebook page, my mind starting racing with possibilities for my driver too. They have some really cool stuff

Either matte black with lime accents on the sole, or a matte silver....with lime accents on the sole. :alien:

Anything lime is good by me. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

I won't lie.. After being on their facebook page, my mind starting racing with possibilities for my driver too. They have some really cool stuff

They did one in orange, and while I hate orange, it looked SICK.

Got back from the range after tinkering with my grip for a bit. Still missing it out to the right at times.

Decided to try it set up at 1* and "D" . My immediate impression in this setting is I could see more of the face and was confidence inspiring. Proceeded to rip nice straight to slight fade drives everytime.

Will have to see if this translates to the course....

Tap it in....

I've always thought of myself as a low spin guy as well, but I've really been working on my grip and now I'm hitting it higher than ever, which I love. I'm hitting driver about as well and as consistent as I ever have, though. It used to be a big liability.

I used to play it at 11.5 to help with launch, but with that much spin do you think I'd see a benefit going to 9.5?

On your spin and launch numbers, you can probably obtain a higher launch and lower the spin, and more yardage by setting up differently -- and the numbers will probably be more ideal. I am guessing with those numbers you have a negative angle of attack reducing launch and increasing spin.

If you want to experiment, try playing off the left big toe (for a righty), teeing higher and hitting up on the ball. If you want a tiny draw, open the face slightly, draw your right foot back slightly, and swing on an in to out path. Experiment.

The ball forward will seem uncomfortable at first, but it works. good luck with the driver and more yards.

Last edited:
I hit 20 drives this weekend and only three were not good. I am so damn in love with this driver. Sound, feel, forgiveness, everything. I hit a couple other drivers this weekend and they were solid, but this one has me committed for the long haul.

This club is just such a performer! The last few weeks I have found a very comfortable place with this club, its going high, its going far and its going where I tell it. I think my favorite moment (other than catching one pure), is the feeling of hitting one off the toe, being disappointed in myself and then watching the ball fly perhaps 10 yards shorter than a well struck shot. It really is ridiculous how forgiving this thing can be.

This driver... I love her.

Back