Rory Extending Relationship with Nike

Haso

#TeamPrestige Southpaw
Reaction score
Handicap
Bkwrds Hat
Amid speculation on how Rory's contract would pan out with Nike, he's announced to his followers via social media his 10 year contract extension with the brand.

What are your thoughts? Is this a good move for Rory and Nike?

Hit the link below to read more.

http://news.nike.com/news/mcilroy-contract-extension

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As an apparel only company now, I think it makes sense. Plus, to some degree he's already become synonymous with them.

Think for apparel it's money in the bank for both of them.

I think it was important for Nike to retain Rory after bowing out of the club market. Though, I'm slightly bias.

I think it's a great move for both parties. If I were a player I'd love to have an apparel only deal which allowed me to play whatever clubs/ball I wanted.

I think it makes complete sense from both parties.

For Nike, they lock in a top tier player, for a long period of time.
For Rory, would there really be another apparel company out there that would throw the amount of money/branding at him that Nike does?

I think the days of having massive amounts of money tied up in one player is maybe coming to an end.
Nike has Rory and Day, UA has Spieth, Puma has Fowler/Dechambeau, Adidas has DJ. I don't see a ton of players coming up that would demand big money apparel deals.

I don't have any issue with his signing. I just wonder what kind of ROI they get from him. Do golfers buy Nike because Rory wears it or because it's always in sale?

I like it and I will not be surprised if it affects how much he gets from a club deal. I hear he's looking $10mil/year over 5 years

I don't have any issue with his signing. I just wonder what kind of ROI they get from him. Do golfers buy Nike because Rory wears it or because it's always in sale?

I think Nike makes some stylish items, I've always enjoyed their contemporary designs when it comes to golf. But Callaway seems to fit me better .

Like others have said, I think this is a win-win on both sides. Nike still is front and center with one of the best players in the world, and Rory can continue to be a free agent on the club side. And apparel-only deals are sort of Nike's forte given their experience in other sports.

I'm not sure because even on sale I think their stuff can be expensive. I think he could be like Jordan. I know they have the Jump Man brand now, but how many people bought Nike just because of him. I'm not saying Rory will ever get there, but I bet he helps internationally as well.

I'm not a Nike fan and hate the head to toe look. Makes sense though.

It makes sense that the contract was reworked after Nike leaving the equipment landscape. 20M a year was too much for apparel & clubs imo; it being apparel only the number had to be reduced. They'll tack on some extra years and call it a contract extension.

I guess the signing is fine.

The clothing/fashion business is interesting and not one that I entirely understand. I will buy what I like not because a person on TV is wearing it. So I think these players act more as runway models/billboards for the new lines every season. So they need players that get more air time, like Rory.

I think it's the right move for him. Apparel isn't going to make or break a players game, but his/her equipment can make a big difference. And his style with Nike does a lot for the Nike brand as a whole.

Timing is interesting. Would anyone be surprised if Rory shows up for practice rounds in Augusta with a new Callaway staff bag?

Timing is interesting. Would anyone be surprised if Rory shows up for practice rounds in Augusta with a new Callaway staff bag?

Yep considering he isn't signing with anyone this year and has been using a bag with his name on it.

Yep considering he isn't signing with anyone this year and has been using a bag with his name on it.

I'm thinking his contract may have been a bit of an issue...now that it's been "extended" (reduced $$ and probably less restrictions) that may no longer be an impediment. I mean it was $20M / year and he pretty much became the international face of Nike golf.

I'm thinking his contract may have been a bit of an issue...now that it's been "extended" (reduced $$ and probably less restrictions) that may no longer be an impediment. I mean it was $20M / year and he pretty much became the international face of Nike golf.

I agree that the change in contract may help but if he is asking $10mil/year still and I assume it will go up if he wins a major or more and several other times this year.

I agree that the change in contract may help but if he is asking $10mil/year still and I assume it will go up if he wins a major or more and several other times this year.

That's a good point.

Huge for Nike considering the Tiger issue

Not really just his name. It's his foundation on the bag. I don't think you'll see him with a staff bag of any club related company for awhile. Even if he signs an equipment deal.

This is a no brainer for me. Win-win for both parties.

Not really just his name. It's his foundation on the bag. I don't think you'll see him with a staff bag of any club related company for awhile. Even if he signs an equipment deal.

I think the staff bag will be dependent on the contract. Being without a contract he doesn't have to use the nike bag anymore so using his foundation isn't costing him money. Whether he admits it or not money talks and if it's going to cost him money to not use a staff bag with a logo other than his foundation he isn't passing it up

I think the staff bag will be dependent on the contract. Being without a contract he doesn't have to use the nike bag anymore so using his foundation isn't costing him money. Whether he admits it or not money talks and if it's going to cost him money to not use a staff bag with a logo other than his foundation he isn't passing it up
Even with Nike, he didn't always have a Nike bag.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Back