Viewer call-in penalty strokes

Foreum

Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to put this. What are your thoughts on viewers being able to call in rule violations?

Lexi Thompson was assessed a four shot penalty for incorrectly marking the ball and then signing an incorrect scorecard.

I think it is bs.. fans shouldn't have any impact on a stroke, especially the day after. What are your thoughts?

http://www.lpga.com/news/2017-lpga-statement-regarding-lexi-thompson-penalty-ana-inspiration

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's bollocks!

Check out the LPGA thread too. Tons of conversation on it.

I figured it would make a good post in that thread, but wanted to draw more attention to the issue across tours.

It's not the first time and it won;t be the last (until the rule changes)

Both violations are pretty ridiculous especially the whole email from a viewer thing. And I don't even understand the whole signing for your scorecard. That's pretty dam antiquated in my opinion.

It's crap. If the officials can't catch it then, it's too damn late. Is that 3 in the last two years? It's completely bonkers, these are BS penalties too. Did the spot 1/4" over have a better line? Or was it just a whoops moment that she didn't even realize? The absurdity of it is just beyond words.

It will be changed in 2019 but if the USGA and R&A have any clue, they will fix this before 2019. I'm not confident they have a clue.

I think they should invoke some of the replay rules that the NCAA/MLB/NFL have. Think about this....can I call in to the final four and tell them they missed a foul on the final play that cost a team the win? That would never happen.

I could understand it if the rule was for everyone, but the way golf coverage works it is not for everyone. How many rules did the players not on TV have? If they are going to allow this then they must film every swing and every ball mark, drop, whatever else happens and review after every round. I also believe they shouldn't have the players sign the card till that review has been done. This would get old real quick for everyone, but would make it fair if that is what they are going for. I think this rule is incredibly stupid and other leagues probably laugh about it. I bet Oklahoma State wishes that the NCAA would change who wins and loses on this type of penalty.

It's not a level playing field, TV coverage is not the same for every player let alone every player in contention. It's an absolute joke that it's allowed ever. How do they not see that?

I think they should invoke some of the replay rules that the NCAA/MLB/NFL have. Think about this....can I call in to the final four and tell them they missed a foul on the final play that cost a team the win? That would never happen.

It almost did on Friday in the uconn game.

...I bet Oklahoma State wishes that the NCAA would change who wins and loses on this type of penalty.

As an OSU Cowboy, I whole-heartedly agree with this statement. ;)

Viewers should not ever be allowed to call in a rules violation.

Question:

Should a marshall, a fan, or the hotdog vendor be able to report a rules violation they saw?

Soooooo lame.

Question:

Should a marshall, a fan, or the hotdog vendor be able to report a rules violation they saw?

According to the explanation by the female rules official, the answer is yes. That's utter bs.

According to the explanation by the female rules official, the answer is yes. That's utter bs.

So only players, caddies and rules officials should be able to report a rules violation? If it happens in front of 50 people, but out of the view of any other players, caddies or officials, then it didn't happen and it's just too bad for the person that should have won?

Question:

If they call it in real time, sure.

I still believe when you tee off on the next hole the previous hole should be in the books.

So only players, caddies and rules officials should be able to report a rules violation? If it happens in front of 50 people, but out of the view of any other players, caddies or officials, then it didn't happen and it's just too bad for the person that should have won?

Yes it is my view that fans whether in person or watching on tv should not be allowed to report a rules violation

Yes it is my view that fans whether in person or watching on tv should not be allowed to report a rules violation

Which also means they may not be witnesses when questioned by a rules official on the facts even if they were standing right there?

BS

Sent from my LEX727 using Tapatalk

Additional question for the group:

You'd be just fine with telling So Yeon Ryu the penalty she witnessed on TV was ignored, and she should have no reason to be discontent about Lexi Thompson winning the major championship instead of her?

I'm asking these questions just to point out there are two sides to every situation.

Additional question for the group:

You'd be just fine with telling So Yeon Ryu the penalty she witnessed on TV was ignored, and she should have no reason to be discontent about Lexi Thompson winning the major championship instead of her?

I'm asking these questions just to point out there are two sides to every situation.

The answer is correct. No reason.

because she got beat by four strokes. She was not the best golfer.

Back