Effects of swinging faster/slower

arwin

Reaction score
Over the past few weeks, I've been watching some of the tournaments and also watched the Feherty episode with Mickelson.

I've noticed that they mention that depending on how fast you swing your club, you're going to get more/less backspin on the ball. In Mickelson's case, I think he was saying he clubs up and swings a little slower to reduce the spin.

How would I use this in theory? Which scenarios would I want to increase my backspin? Hit it harder to fly the green and spin it back to the pin?

I am not sure that you asking. Are you hitting a large percentage of your greens?

I think it is mostly an in theory question. IMO times swinging a bit harder and taking the shorter club would be tucked pins on hard greens. Swinging a bit slower with a longer club for less spin the most common spot would be back pins on a slope where you will spin pretty far away from the hole with too much spin.

Honestly, just my gut feeling, you should run away from this swing thought. Forget you ever heard it.

Over the past few weeks, I've been watching some of the tournaments and also watched the Feherty episode with Mickelson.

I've noticed that they mention that depending on how fast you swing your club, you're going to get more/less backspin on the ball. In Mickelson's case, I think he was saying he clubs up and swings a little slower to reduce the spin.

How would I use this in theory? Which scenarios would I want to increase my backspin? Hit it harder to fly the green and spin it back to the pin?
I've always heard to club up and swing soft into the wind, to reduce spin and thereby decrease the winds effect on the ball.

I'm by no means a decent player. Was just wondering the theory behind it and when someone would alter their swing to use this

Sent from my SM-G928W8 using Tapatalk

I'm by no means a decent player. Was just wondering the theory behind it and when someone would alter their swing to use this

Great players have control over spin and trajectory. Us mere mortals don't. If you aren't at or near a scratch it should be on the bottom of your list of things to work on.

As a fellow "by no means decent player", trying to alter my swing speed always results in negative things happening. You may have different results, but it's always bad for me.

I for one am not good enough to worry about this. I need to swing with a deliberate and easy tempo to hit good shots.

Back