When do you give up on a new swing?

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
I was chatting with my pro last night and he told me he just picked up a new PGA player and was astonished that this guy was switching again. He felt that maybe it wasn't a good idea but was very keen on the challenge. We talked about how he would have to build on some existing idea in the players but had no clue what that might be.

It got me thinking, a lot of weekend warriors tend to pickup tips, run with them and the fall into something else. Is this you? How long do you commit to one swing before you're on to the next?

I don't think I've given up on a new swing because I've always had instructors that have worked with what i have go improve my current swing. I have used three instructors over the last 4-5 years to help with my swing and the one I had last year was the first to make a change to the type of shot I was playing and move from attempting a draw to playing a fade to help with my sequencing. I liked the consistency I was seeing with the fade and plan to continue that with my original instructor

Probably after I determine I can't physically perform the movements due to age / flexibility. It does not happen often!! I'm stubborn!!

I was chatting with my pro last night and he told me he just picked up a new PGA player and was astonished that this guy was switching again. He felt that maybe it wasn't a good idea but was very keen on the challenge. We talked about how he would have to build on some existing idea in the players but had no clue what that might be.

It got me thinking, a lot of weekend warriors tend to pickup tips, run with them and the fall into something else. Is this you? How long do you commit to one swing before you're on to the next?

I used to get as many tips as I could to maybe help my game but they just all ended up making me very confused. I used to change my swing in someway every time I had a bad round or a rough time at the range. This was a complete waste of time!! The one that has helped me a lot was not worrying about hitting the ball but worrying about getting the ball to the target. Going into a target oriented swing thought has helped me out. I know now that's the mindset I should have on the course!

I've been following Shawn Clement for a while now and I like the way he describes the swing and how to really swing the club and not just hit the ball. It's helped out but I still am going to take some lesson for a local pro. He focuses on the fundamentals and doesn't get too caught up in specific positions in the swing which I like.

I feel like I'm always changing mine because something just doesn't feel right. I will be doing a lot of work with it over the next couple weeks to get everything straightened out.

I haven't given up on a swing, but I find I start lapsing back into old habits. Trying to break that by doing the drills my coach has given me daily if possible as well as scheduling lessons more frequently.

Man, this is a timely post Freddie. I do not know the answer but I know I'm starting to struggle with the question. My instructor is asking me to do the right things but I'm having a harder than usual time making them happen. I've started to wonder if it is time to quit on these changes and just live with what I've naturally got.

When I was trying to be self taught, I would try to incorporate different tips all the time. I would switch from tIp to tip as much as Haney came out with training aids.
This stopped when I became serious about lessons. I worked with one coach for a couple of years but when it became apparent the effort from the pro did not match mine, I moved on.
Last fall I got a new coach, really gave been enjoying the progress. As long as I feel like I'm progressing, I stick with it. Hopefully when it all comes together I'm satisfied and just stick with it until I can no longer play.
I think having someone to guide you will keep a person from bouncing around with tips and swing changes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Man, this is a timely post Freddie. I do not know the answer but I know I'm starting to struggle with the question. My instructor is asking me to do the right things but I'm having a harder than usual time making them happen. I've started to wonder if it is time to quit on these changes and just live with what I've naturally got.
Tequila,
I have shared (poisoned you with??) my frustrations through a similar process.

Started the lessons in January and am close to the point of giving up on certain aspects. Golf has to be fun, and I expected a struggle as a new swing was introduced. The contact got so bad and this lasted for over a month that the fun stopped. I have been thinking a lot lately on just being comfortable, even if I have to setup "incorrectly". Guess I'm finding out the hard way there are some adjustments that I cannot physically or mentally ingrain.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

It's something I struggle with big time. I'm trying to make some changes right now and find it hard to stick to it when my results aren't what I want. This is the first time I've really done this so time will tell.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I have one new one that has shown very good results so far so I am going to stay with it for the time being. It is a fairly simple one and is now part of my preshot routine/thought, really the only one I have now since more than one and I get confused.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Being a mostly self taught player, I would try to incorporate tips or swing changes that I heard or read about in the early days of my golf.
I would give those changes several weeks between range sessions and rounds before deciding whether I would keep them or not.

Fast forward several years 2009 when I went to Hawaii for our wedding anniversary where we treated ourselves to 5 days at the Kapalua Golf Academy.
All of the tips/tricks/swing changes that I learned during that time have mostly stayed in my swing.

I've never changed my swing for the most part. Tips and stuff I've picked up I try and see if they work at all for me, and if not, stop trying pretty quick so I don't screw something up. My swing is working for the most part, so I don't want to try too much on my own to avoid making things worse.

If I had a teacher that was trying to get me to change something, I would be more inclined to stick it out.

Picking up tips doesn't always mean a total swing change. What's wrong with using the tips to tweak here and there along the road to your best swing? You can't have progress without change...

If it works I stick with it.

I was trying something a bit new recently that was working just fine, but causing me to push the ball out to the right. Yesterday, I decided that compensating for that was not a good thing, and went back to a real easy swing.

I think it was a few weeks before I made the decision

I started making my first major swing changes last summer and I'm still sticking with it even though I'm getting tired of not seeing it transfer to the course as consistently as I would like. I do strike it better on the range than I have in 25 years so I'm sticking with it even if it takes me another year or two for the changes to become engrained. It's amazing how we all revert to our natural misses. I admire the guys like Ricky that make some big changes and have them working in competition only months later.

I used to get as many tips as I could to maybe help my game but they just all ended up making me very confused. I used to change my swing in someway every time I had a bad round or a rough time at the range. This was a complete waste of time!! The one that has helped me a lot was not worrying about hitting the ball but worrying about getting the ball to the target. Going into a target oriented swing thought has helped me out. I know now that's the mindset I should have on the course!

I've been following Shawn Clement for a while now and I like the way he describes the swing and how to really swing the club and not just hit the ball. It's helped out but I still am going to take some lesson for a local pro. He focuses on the fundamentals and doesn't get too caught up in specific positions in the swing which I like.

This is a good thought process. Constant tweaking without knowing the root cause does nothing but build on bad habits. Solid swing advice will have ups and down but more ups. I think people don't spend enough time on one swing and are always looking for the magic bean. Sometimes it's just a nudge that straightens you out

Sometimes it's just a nudge that straightens you out

And sometimes that nudge is a tip.

There are plenty of terrible golf instructors. The requirements to become one are pretty basic. You have to be able to play golf, not necessarily be a good teacher.

"Those who can't do, teach." Except in golf...

This is a good thought process. Constant tweaking without knowing the root cause does nothing but build on bad habits. Solid swing advice will have ups and down but more ups. I think people don't spend enough time on one swing and are always looking for the magic bean. Sometimes it's just a nudge that straightens you out

I just need to stick with this one and stop getting so aggravated on the course. I have a better game-plan than before and I need to just stick with it! 'Paralysis by analysis' is a real thing! It sucks when you can't get back to that one feeling you had in your swing when it was working.

And sometimes that nudge is a tip.

There are plenty of terrible golf instructors. The requirements to become one are pretty basic. You have to be able to play golf, not necessarily be a good teacher.

"Those who can't do, teach." Except in golf...

Do you have anything productive to add or are you just here to start SH!t?!

I figure the pro knows more than me, so I'll work diligently on keeping it. It might be that I saw immediate favorable results, but I can't argue with the results so I'll keep doing what he tells me!

Do you have anything productive to add or are you just here to start SH!t?!

I'm just pointing out the truth. I didn't realize you would be so easily offended.

There are plenty of bad teachers in any field. I guess I don't see the disdain for tips if they work for someone. Or how they have to equate to a new swing versus using the tip to mold the swing you already have into something better.

Every time I read the Internet.

I started with lessons last year and despite my back issues that cause some restrictions when I have flare-ups, I have seen massive improvements that made me wish I had done this years ago

During my lesson last week (when I wasn't feeling the best with regards to my back) my instructor was talking about how much my swing has changed for the better - I have gone from the typical over-the-top outside-in swing hitting down on the ball quite steeply, to now having a very neutral swing path (this varies slightly depending on my back but is something I can easily live with) that is a lot shallower

The biggest compliment he gave me was to say that I have control of the ball, which is something I never really expected to hear, as before lessons I was never entirely sure what would happen with each swing as it might be a slice or a pull and that isn't good for confidence when you are stood over the ball deciding where to aim to account for the potential shot that will happen

Because of how much progress I have made, I won't be giving up on the changes he has put me through as I have only ever seen improvements throughout the lessons

I'm just pointing out the truth. I didn't realize you would be so easily offended.

There are plenty of bad teachers in any field. I guess I don't see the disdain for tips if they work for someone. Or how they have to equate to a new swing versus using the tip to mold the swing you already have into something better.

When did anyone say tips were bad? The thread asks a question which you have yet to answer but instead decided to stir the pot. If you can't contribute stay out of the the thread.

Back