lanoxrehab

Reaction score
Handicap
I bought some Z Stars yesterday and played a round. I noticed that when I hit the ball, it would start out on target (pretty much) and then it would do this extreme right side spin and go way off target. It was very noticeable with the driver. It did not happen every time, but more times than not.

When I looked at the package the balls came in I saw it was a 4 layered ball for swing speeds of 105+ . My swing speed is 82. Obviously I am playing with the wrong ball.

Is that side spin because of the 4 layered ball and the slower swing speed ?

The side spin is more likely caused by your face angle & swing path at the point of contact.

Not necessarily. Compression drives spin off the tee, and it is a firmer ball. The Q-Star Tour would be a ball that would be better suited for you. The swing is causing the spin dynamics to take place, but they can be altered dependent on the ball you are playing.

I would recommend checking this out, from THP and Srixon that explains everything about the golf ball and why it is doing what it does.

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/the-golf-industry-uncut-volume-22-golf-ball-talk-with-srixon/

I've played the Z-Star and I haven't seen any noticeable difference in side spin. I can get anywhere up to 105-107 on a good rip, generally around 101-103, and the Z-Star seemed to perform well for me. Generally a ball like that will cause more side spin than a ball like a Q-Star or a Soft Feel. @The_Dude thoughts?

I've played the Z-Star and I haven't seen any noticeable difference in side spin. I can get anywhere up to 105-107 on a good rip, generally around 101-103, and the Z-Star seemed to perform well for me. Generally a ball like that will cause more side spin than a ball like a Q-Star or a Soft Feel. @The_Dude thoughts?
I bounce around between MTB, Z-Star, and V1X. For me personally first 2 hold their line better than v1x on a shot that's pushed. Granted MTB is a 3 piece ball but very stable nontheless. Suspect v1x is highest compression of the 3.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I believe that the XV is the 105 compression and the Z-STAR is a 95 compression ball. And as JB stated, the QSTAR-Tour is a lower compression but I'm not sure of the number.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

If it was a 4-piece ball then it was the XV, which is a fairly high compression ball compared to most. That could have caused more spin off the driver than other options, because it will be harder to compress...but a strong right slice will be club face/swing path related more than the ball. A softer compression ball might have taken some of the side spin off, but if the ball was taking the flight you described, it will have done so with anything. The 4 layer makeup of the ball wouldn't have really been causing anything itself though.

I believe that the XV is the 105 compression and the Z-STAR is a 95 compression ball. And as JB stated, the QSTAR-Tour is a lower compression but I'm not sure of the number.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

FWIW, the 2016 Z star was 90 and the 2017 version is 88.

Q Star Tour ball is a great ball. I loved it

On April 14th, the ball you need to try is coming out, it's called the Q-Star Tour.
You will thank me later.

Turned in those dastardly Z Stars for some new Q Stars. Much better. I really liked them. I wish they had them in bright colors. I just can't track white balls through the horizon and I play a lot of golf by myself. But the ball was great.

Back