Bought the Pelz short game bible - I have some reading to do...

JayB

Reaction score
Handicap
I have owned one golf book previously; Hogan's 5 lessons.

I want to improve my short game chops so I grabbed Pelz's book. I didn't expect it to be the encyclopedia that it is. I started flipping through it last night to learn my way around the book. I don't gather this one will be a cover to cover read, more of a reference volume...

This reminds me I have the Pelz book on my bookshelf... I should dig back into it. I sort of employ what I understand to be his theory with wedges already I am sure reading it would help me.

good luck. i made it about 10 pages and gave up. information overload.

I have the book on my computer. It is a good system but imo you need to be able to practice a good amount to really get proficient in it.

This is next on my list. Let me know what you think.

I've been focusing on hogan's five lessons and have seen improvement in my ball striking. The pelz bible is sitting on the shelf until I can get outside on the range to practice. I've never read it; I should crack it soon to start studying

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

It's good stuff. It is a ton of knowledge and info but it reads pretty easy for me.

I picked one up, and having been finding it enjoyable as a good reference piece. Trying not to read it back to front, but moreso trying to go into it to learn about a certain area at a time.

There is a ton of info in there, it is pretty intimidating when I first opened it up.

I just picked this up from Amazon yesterday and it should be here tomorrow, I can't wait to give it a read. I also bought Ben Hogan's Five Lessons and Harvey Penick's Little Red Book.

I just picked this up from Amazon yesterday and it should be here tomorrow, I can't wait to give it a read. I also bought Ben Hogan's Five Lessons and Harvey Penick's Little Red Book.
Great start to the library, those are the ones I have, too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

I too kinda follow some of Lela short game philosophy. Figured I would put a bit more polish on it. It's is super info overload. If you're making changes to other parts of your game, leave this book on the shelf. Way too much to digest and work on the long game.

ShotByShot.com tracks my short game performance so I am eager to see if I can get some measurable benefit from what will be a lot of hours of reading prior to even practicing.

I went to a half price books one day to purchase it and once I got there and really looked at the contents I left it on the shelf. No way I could retain anything in the book.

A+ this was a fantastic book for me. I like Pelz' data-driven approach.

Have a pdf version that I flip through at work in down time. My problem is I don't have a good short game facility that is close by, and no rangefinder to help figure out distances so I just figure it out as I play.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

It's a good one. Better than his putting book which I haven't benefited from at all. But the short game book has some solid advice in it. Know your tempo. Single pendulum for distance control. Learn all your distances with all your clubs at full, 3/4, 1/2... I probably need to go read it again. Good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The dead hands swing thought was working well. Hit several 30-80 yard shots close.

I felt the same way. I lifted it over the weekend, started in a few pages and haven't picked it back up. I also ordered Hogan's Five Lessons and will probably read that one first.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I wish I could get a Cliff Notes version of this. I appreciate the analysis he's done but distill it down a bit.

Great book, one of my favorites.

my chipping/pitching game is nothing to write home about...but Pelz took 10 strokes a round off my score with the info in this book.

What in particular changed your game?

What in particular changed your game?
before I was one of those "swing and hope" guys as likely to ship it over the green as not. With his system I actually developed a plan, used variety of clubs AND KNEW WHY, got the various swings for distance...now I will occasionally over shoot but more often than not I am on the green in reasonable range and on good days I have been known to get up and down.

I've read the whole book and put a number of things into play. My insights:

1) the book is way longer than it needs to be. the field reference version could be a 5x7" paperback that is 75 pages.

2) ball back, dead hand swing has made a huge improvement in my pitching game accuracy. That was worth the $20ish alone.

3) there are great insights on getting reduced dispersion; where to land the ball if it isn't flat, effect of spin on direction and consistency of roll out, etc....

All I can say is the book is worth a read. Don't get hung up on how big it. You can fly through a lot of the banter that prefaces each section.

Back