Wilson D200 hybrids

I love my d200 3h. Feels good, and when you connect properly it is as sweet a flight as you like. I said on another thread, according to the markers at my club, i have hit it 200+ metres. Didn't connect properly so it was a low flight and actually ran through the green, but it really is a great club.

I hit the 19* hybrid indoor on a monitor. I liked it...very easy to hit and loft with that shaft. Ultimately, it was about $50 more (American) than the price you're quoting and I couldn't justify replacing my Cally X2 Hot since I hit it so well, but it would be a nice addition to many bags. The head seemed very large to me and I think they have a dramatic change in head size as you go up and down their hybos so the 19* felt like a fairway wood at address but that wouldn't keep me from bagging it.

Still, seems like a good price you have available so as long as Wilson Staff doesn't turn you off (no reason it should - it's a very good company), seems to be little reason not to consider it.

FWIW, I also hit a Ping G30 hybrid and thought that was a bit better. Likely more expensive anywhere you find the two, though.

I like what I'm reading in here. I'm sort of torn on whether or not I want a hybrid in the bag but I think the D200 could work for me.

Jman please let us know when you get a chance to hit this club.I tend to think your take a product is spot on. I know the FG M3 hybrids in the lower lofts were not easy to hit. I have loved it in a 23degree and the price was crazy good.
This is one hybrid I really, really, really want time with.

Sorry to keep people waiting. Time has been in short supply, I've been distracted with becoming a grandfather (my wife and I are absolutely smitten by our granddaughter) and tripping over the dog resulting in bruised ribs has not helped with testing out the new D200 hybrid.

It it has not been exhaustive as the ribs still hurt and the best I could manage was 30 minutes on the range. Now what you like in clubs is clearly very personal. All I can say so far is - really like it! With the ribs, i could only manage about 70% of the normal swing but this probably helped in a way. I hit my 5 iron and 17 degree wood to see how the hybrid fitted in.

Feel - to my taste, lovely. Nice impact, nice sound. It is as gorgeous up close and personal as it looks in the pictures and to me, the feel matched well.

Launch - about as easy as it gets. I know all hybrids are pretty good at this - that's the idea as I understand it - but even at 70 % power, it was dead easy to hit.

Distance - on this limited test, very good. It is closer to the FG M3 - which currently cranked to 18 degrees - than the 5 iron so I will probably drop the M3 loft back today 17 so it gaps better. I suspect it is as long as my old Nikent 17 degree hybrid but I didn't compare this today.

Control - now this is not something I would usually comment on as my swing is not that reliable but I actually managed to vary the flight a bit. I managed some low shots, high shots, fades ( my normal shot so not much of a test really) but also a slight hint of a draw, something I usually only achieve when I'm not actually trying!

I really need to do some more testing of course but for anyone keeping an eye on this post, so far so good. When the ribs stop yelling at me, I will attempt a more comprehensive report.

Great review.

I will probably be gaming D200 2h - 4h @ the THPLegacy.

Getting well is the important thing!

Dave

I like what I'm reading in here. I'm sort of torn on whether or not I want a hybrid in the bag but I think the D200 could work for me.

I took four swings with a 19* D200 @the demo day today and based on those four swings I wouldn't hesitate to put one in the bag.

I took four swings with a 19* D200 @the demo day today and based on those four swings I wouldn't hesitate to put one in the bag.

how did the d200 challenge go? Did you hit any other irons?

how did the d200 challenge go? Did you hit any other irons?

The D200 failed to unseat my trusty Ci9. My best ball with the D200 was about 4 yards short of my Ci9.

I took at least a few swings with all the models, probably got the most swings with the v4. I didn't get to try the M3 with the phenom shaft, but it was good in steel. Surprisingly I didn't like the C100 as much as i thought I would.

I did get to do some ball testing too.

The D200 failed to unseat my trusty Ci9. My best ball with the D200 was about 4 yards short of my Ci9.

I took at least a few swings with all the models, probably got the most swings with the v4. I didn't get to try the M3 with the phenom shaft, but it was good in steel. Surprisingly I didn't like the C100 as much as i thought I would.

I did get to do some ball testing too.

thats cool. Sounds like you saw the results we talked about the other day. The ball testing sounds really cool. Happy you guys got to test that.

I'm pondering how much of a yardage gap I would have between the 4h (22) and the 5h (25).

Similarly, I wonder what the gap would be between a 18* FW and a 19* Hybo. There should be a gap there, but how much in reality?

Pretty sure I'll be gaming at least one d200 hybrid for legacy of not 2. Now to pick a shaft option and loft haha

I really like the KK Black. Phenom not so much. Haven't hit the Chrome.

I really like the KK Black. Phenom not so much. Haven't hit the Chrome.

me too. One of my favorite hybrid shafts(the KK). I'd be looking at these all the way to the 6 hybrid.

me too. One of my favorite hybrid shafts(the KK). I'd be looking at these all the way to the 6 hybrid.

Almost bought one the other day, but will wait. I really like the shape and the materials are top notch.

Almost bought one the other day, but will wait. I really like the shape and the materials are top notch.

at the big demo day about a month ago, my old man was hitting the 7 hybrid and really seeing good results. That made me grab the 5 hybrid. It's a good stick. Maybe my favorite of their's since the DXI line.

This is my biggest ponder for my Legacy bag.

I know I'm going 2 - 4 hybrid, but have no clue on the shaft. I currently have stiff 67g UST AXIVCore reds in my beloved 21* & 24* Fybrid HSs & stiff 65g Aldila Rip HB in my 16* Taylormade '11 Rescue. The Fybrids give me a relatively low flight & less distance than modern hybrids, but they are accurate & consistent. The '11 Rescue has a very low flight, but I don't fear snap hooks with it.

I'd like a little more pop & height, but I don't want a whippy tip because I think that could lead to nasty hooks (my big miss w/ hybrids).

Distances with current set up are:
- 2 Rescue: 210 - 225
- 3 Fybrid: 195 - 210
- 4 Fybrid: 180 - 195

I appreciate opinions on what shafts I should choose. My options are:
- Aldila RIP Phenom 80 HB
- MRC Kuro Kage Black 90 HY
- Elements Chrome 54

Tip isn't going to make you hook. Low flying hybrids aren't going to do you much good at either of those courses. KK shaft is pretty smooth. If I was picking it would be that one without hesitation. Never liked the Phenom.

Agreed, the KK is a really solid hybo shaft. I've thought the phenom was mediocre each time I have tried it.

I decided to not go with a hybrid for Legacy. This will be a huge departure for me. I considered bumping out the 4 iron for a D200 hybrid, but because the M3 4 iron is similar in loft to my C100 5 iron, I am comfortable hitting it. It might even be my favorite club, though the change from 4 to 5 must be huge, because I cannot hit my C100 4 iron.

Anyway, I was then faced with a decision of getting a 3h or a 3 utility club. Based on my experience at Personal Distance, I knew I could hit the utility club. In fact, I fell in love with it. Caledonia appears to have many holes where you lay up off of the tee. I was afraid I would hook the hybrids. I know I won't hook the utility iron as much, as it's designed to fight that hook you sometimes see with hybrids.

Now my real fear is having to hit the utility club off the ground, which I haven't done outdoors...

It's technically not too late for someone to talk me into a D200 hybrid, as Ricky is submitting our orders all at the same time, but this choice certainly has me conflicted.

Tip isn't going to make you hook. Low flying hybrids aren't going to do you much good at either of those courses. KK shaft is pretty smooth. If I was picking it would be that one without hesitation. Never liked the Phenom.

Agreed, the KK is a really solid hybo shaft. I've thought the phenom was mediocre each time I have tried it.
Interesting. Which one would be most similar to a VTS Black?
Any relatively close comparisons for the KK?

I have played Caledonia a few times and you are right about the lay ups. Also you used the word love in talking about the utility.If you have passion for it just go for it.Just get some range time with your new friend.
I decided to not go with a hybrid for Legacy. This will be a huge departure for me. I considered bumping out the 4 iron for a D200 hybrid, but because the M3 4 iron is similar in loft to my C100 5 iron, I am comfortable hitting it. It might even be my favorite club, though the change from 4 to 5 must be huge, because I cannot hit my C100 4 iron.

Anyway, I was then faced with a decision of getting a 3h or a 3 utility club. Based on my experience at Personal Distance, I knew I could hit the utility club. In fact, I fell in love with it. Caledonia appears to have many holes where you lay up off of the tee. I was afraid I would hook the hybrids. I know I won't hook the utility iron as much, as it's designed to fight that hook you sometimes see with hybrids.

Now my real fear is having to hit the utility club off the ground, which I haven't done outdoors...

It's technically not too late for someone to talk me into a D200 hybrid, as Ricky is submitting our orders all at the same time, but this choice certainly has me conflicted.

Interesting. Which one would be most similar to a VTS Black?
Any relatively close comparisons for the KK?

Sorry, that one is too old for me to say. I do know that VTS system was all torque based was it not? Black being the lowest torque, so probably the firmest feeling. That would probably the Phenom of your choices.

KK is a mid bend shaft. Tour Blue, Fuji Pro, etc.

Sorry, that one is too old for me to say. I do know that VTS system was all torque based was it not? Black being the lowest torque, so probably the firmest feeling. That would probably the Phenom of your choices.

KK is a mid bend shaft. Tour Blue, Fuji Pro, etc.

Yep, it was torque based.

Back