How many of these shot shapes can you perform?

luvagoodshot

Reaction score
Handicap
Yes
How many of the following shot shapes can you perform?

Which ones do you wish you had at your disposal?

Which shot is the one you're most likely to hit?

c672f79bf5400af60558db1ca3895d74.jpg

All of them but some better than others. 1 and 9 are pretty much only used on recovery shots. The push draw is probably my weakest. I generally swing like 1-3* out to in with club face between square and 1* closed(to target line) for my stock shot.

Routinely, 4 of them. 1, 2, 4 and 7. Sometimes #9 with a driver or Mini, or if I made a swing outside of the norm for me.

Consistently? 3, 6, 8 and 9.

By accident: 1, 2, 4 and 7.

Sometimes? 5.

3, 5, 6
My normal shot is usually a straight shot, at times I can pull off a straight fade, and can also easily pull off a hard fade/slice. Haven't been able to master any draws as yet though.

On purpose? Not very many

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i have a hard time with two of the shots: straight, and straight fade. i would love a shot where i could hit it at a starting line and let it fall gently to the right. i can do most of the other ones decently.

as far as flighting the ball, i can't hit a straight punch or punch cut. it's only a hard hooking punch.

On purpose? 2 of them. Wish I had? Draw, even just to have it when I needed it. Most likely to hit? Fade.

I've hit all of those on one hole.

Did you mean on purpose? I can hit 3,5,6 (left handed so draws not fades) and occasionally 7, on purpose. I do have issues hitting which one of those I want.

1 shows up a lot. It's never intentional.

7,8,9 are about all I hit, will hit a a pull from time to time

On the range - all of them but straight (unless on accident). I wouldn't trust anything but my stock shot on the course though. I particularly struggle with fades. If I try I usually hit a dead pull. If I open the face to compensate I usually overdo it and get a slice instead of a fade.

On call? Probably none. I'll be a very happy man if I can do a 5 every time I need it. For longer shots my stock shot is a 3. For irons and wedges it's a 5. The one I wish I had a bit more of is the 7.

That's good graphic. Helpful for those trying to understand ball flight as it relates swing mechanics.

For me push draw and is a stock shot. I'm learning the pull fade. But straight would be ideal

Last edited:
I've hit all of those on accident... several times. I'd say I'm pretty good at 2, 4, 6, and 9.

I wouldn't even want to try. It would screw me up something fierce. I am good with trying to have one shot shape.

Can hit 2,3,5,6,and 8. Wish I could hit a draw. Most likely is 3 pull/fade although with short irons that becomes a 2 (straight pull).

I can hit all of them... usually accidentally.

I can do them all, but some better than others, and some are easier on command than of those, too.

From easiest to not as easy, my list would read:

5 - straight

6 - straight fade

8 - push

3 - pull fade

9 - push fade

4 - straight draw

2 - pull

7 - push draw

1 - pull draw

I alternate between 1 and 8. And I've saved this graphic for later.

I usually try for a 5, usually end up with a 4 if I miss or an 8 if I really miss.

All of them, most unintentionally.

Oh I CAN and often do perform all of these shot shapes. On purpose? Not a chance.

I like #7 (push draw) the best, I've always had a natural tendency to go from right to left and I just think it looks awesome.

I have tried over the past couple seasons to have #3 (pull fade) at my disposal, but it usually comes out as a #6 (slice). The graphic you provided is much different than what I would have thought for #6 vs #7, and explains a lot. Very interesting!

On purpose? None

I'm pleading the 5th on this one....

Back