What Shot Defines Your Current Game?

theoverswinger

Reaction score
Handicap
16.2 UNHS
Although I haven't been playing as often as I'd like to, in my most recent game I hit a 3 wood with a slight fade and got it on the green in regulation.

It reminded me of the hard work I put in my game and sorta defined where I am with my game. If only I could play more often.

How about you? What Shot Defines Your Current Game?

Toed short iron short of the green. Or bladed pitch.

Both are stock shots in my arsenal

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Probably say putting. I've worked on it over the last year or two. Alignment, eye position, grip, feel, aimpoint express. It's saved me on average six shots a round. I'm averaging 29 putts per round for the last three months.

Unfortunately, what was my strength (driver), due to some swing changes, is now my weakness. My driving is average at best, and my irons have been inconsistent. But I know it'll come together with time and that HCP will jump down to mid singles, at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The strength of my game is my stock high draw 2Deep off the tee. If I'm playing from a yardage of 6700 or less, I will normally hit only about 4 drivers per round. The extra 15-20 yards is rarely worth the risk.

Trouble down the right, snap hook with driver.

Little cut with the mid irons ,looks awesome when it is done correct

Chipping off the green has been as good as it's ever been right now.

the shot that defines my game is the low punch under the trees, feels like I have to play it 20 times a round

A 4 iron tee shot on a 200 yard par 3 that starts left, turns harder left, and appears to boomerang back at me it finished so far left.

Choke down, knockdown approach shots. Im playing them into greens about 70% of the time. So much control with that one.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Double cross?

Positive?

I've always been a good putter and I have my off days like anyone but in general my flatstick is one of the best parts of my game.

24* Utility iron off the tee - penetrating ball flight, generally down the middle to 230. One of my favorite clubs.

Negative?

Topping the driver off the tee. I hate this part of my game given that my driver has always been the biggest weapon in the bag. I'm usually scared to pull it out now.

Partial wedge shot...I have zero feel or control at the moment. Ugh

A draw, normally pretty tight and controlled, on every full swing club (D - 58 wedge) in the bag.

A butter cut driver out to 270

Or

A 12 foot draino putt

The extreme slice with the driver really defines my game. When I keep it in the bag and hit 3 wood or hybrid off the tee I score much better. I'm an idiot though so don't usually do this.

Short irons from 100 on in to the green. Spent a lot of time working on this.

When I can keep a nice high fade working with the driver I know I'm gonna have a good day on the course. Approaches with a wedge in hand is also a pretty important part of how I'm going to score, having a real opportunity at 1-putts instead of 2-3 is huge.

Golf shot that DEFINES my game? Oh yeah, I got one.

Par 5, dogleg left. Caught a drive better than planned and drove through the fairway, close enough to have a realistic shot at getting on in 2. Front edge of green was 180-something, 20 yards beyond a few bunkers. Pin was 197 or 199. It was setup perfectly for a nice 5h to leave a tap-in eagle. Hit it slightly, maybe half a ball, towards the toe. Ball started right of the line but moved nicely on target in the air. Hit the green right at my chosen landing spot and the ball shot off the back of the green, over 220 yards away. Get up to the green and see the slope I landed on that kicked my ball further than normal. Struggled to get par after that deflating result.

The best of plans don't always work. A lucky break can go my way one second, and a bad break kills me the next. Executing the picture in my mind is always just a little out of reach... which is why I need to golf more.

3/4 wedge shots inside of 100 yards. I have had more kick in birdies than I have ever had. Just seems like I can walk over and place the ball where I want.

Spending a ton of time on the simulator this winter has me playing mid season golf.

Toed short iron short of the green. Or bladed pitch.

Both are stock shots in my arsenal

This was me last time out. If I could get these two sorted, I'd be in such better shape.

This was me last time out. If I could get these two sorted, I'd be in such better shape.

Few things are as frustrating as executing your tee-shot, getting yourself in prime scoring position and being unable to complete the "easier" shot. All year I've been missing greens on those 100-130 yard shots. Terrible...

For me its my driver - since as it goes so does my game and is the best representation of the work i have put in and the work i still need to do. its either a bomb down the middle or a bomb down the middle of two fairways over :) <depends if i am releasing the club or not through contact> :)

This season it's been the wedge shots that are defining my game. I plan for them, execute them, and have made a lot of birdies from them.
Plus they are just a fun shot to hit.

There are several that define my game at the moment.

The most prevalent are the 10 foot putt that goes 25 feet and the 30 foot putt that goes 12 feet. It's agonizingly frustrating to be hitting more greens than I ever have before yet still struggling to keep the score below 90 because I can't putt for anything.

- Chuck

Back