luvagoodshot

Reaction score
Handicap
Yes
My musings on golf

If we were color blind would we still call greens greens?

What does a person who can only see in monochrome call greens?

If my normal miss on putts is to the left then why haven't I compensated for that as yet?

Why isn't the areas outside of the fairways called the unfairways?

Why is a swing to hit my ball called a pitch in golf yet in baseball a batter hits a pitch and not the pitcher?

I would love to read any musings others might have - post them in this thread

Why is it called a driver? I realize all the other clubs used to have colorful names, but nowadays are all called by their number. Except the driver.

Why did the #2 driver stop being called the #2
Did it dislike golfers saying I'm gonna take a #2

Why did the #2 driver stop being called the #2
Did it dislike golfers saying I'm gonna take a #2

A bigger question is how could a golfer NOT want to say that? Unless I just run with a more sophomoric crowd.

A bigger question is how could a golfer NOT want to say that? Unless I just run with a more sophomoric crowd.

I think you know the answer to that.

Why is it called a driver? That is an excellent question. Better question.... if it's a driver why isn't the tee box called a driving ground?

What's with the avian scoring system?
Where do the words "putt" and "putter" come from?
Why does par exist?

What's with the avian scoring system?
Where do the words "putt" and "putter" come from?
Why does par exist?

I actually know the last one. Comes from way back in the day. There wasn't always a par, it used to to be just get the ball in the hole in as few strokes as possible, then somewhere along the way they started playing against the course, as more people would play tournaments. So they played against an imaginary player who got the expected score on every hole, "the bogey man", thus bogey became the standard. Once equipment started making it easier to get bogey they needed a new lower target score for each hole, and thus par was born.

The scorecards from the 1913 US open actually reflected bogey as the courses were still in the process of changing over.

At least, that's the way I heard it.

Why does Johnny Miller have to always call them "fairway metals"?

Why do we yell at a ball in motion when we all know it doesn't listen?

Why does Johnny Miller have to always call them "fairway metals"?

These are the various metals used in golf club head manufacturing:

Zinc

Die Cast Aluminums including HST and 6061 Aluminum

304 Stainless Steel

Carbon Steel

431 Stainless Steel

17-4 Stainless Steel

6-4 Titanium

15-5 Stainless Steel

Beta Titanium

Maraging Metal

I don't see the word iron used. Maybe that's why he called them metals - who knows

Back