Will You Create Your Legacy - 2015 #THPLegacy Event

Pfft, was probably done after word leaked I had reached out....#copycat

Pfft, dont flatter yourself. That's it, we are having a drinking contest next month.

I wish I could hear Mike's motivational speech after that.

"I want youll *hrk* to get outher *burp* an....zzzzzz"

Yesterday I played league. I had a great ball striking day during league. Sure, there are misses, but the pros have misses too. So I'm sticking with my great ball striking mindset. Heck, I even hit a great 3 iron, which I haven't done in awhile. I had played with a slower back swing the night before, and it did good things for me.

But then I had the pitching yips, out of nowhere. I've done so much pitching practice, and never had issues chunking the ball, which I did repeatedly yesterday. It was so weird. I'd have a 20-30 yard pitch, chunk, then be 10 yards closer, and hit a great pitch, and often save bogey with a one putt. I kept my head up, probably because I kept saving my bogeys, and I definitely did not get down on myself. In prior years, I would have been telling myself "why did you waste that shot? You could have had par!" But my mental game has gotten much stronger this year, so I just don't think like that anymore.

But still, to not have any issues chunking pitches to all of a sudden rare its ugly head one night, just strange. Maybe it was the soft conditions, maybe it was the extra tall fairways (its quite wet here). I don't know. I'm shaking it off. I'm not worried about it. For every chunked pitch, I had one great pitch.

Will be trying to get to the course tonight for some pitching practice tonight. Repetition. I'm sure there was just one little thing that I was doing wrong, and I just need to make sure it doesn't become a habit.

On a side note, but somewhat related, I cannot wait to get the tour grind 58* Wilson wedge in my bag. I think I'm going to have a lot of fun with that club for a lot of years.

~Rock

Played another round late this afternoon. Still trying to work through the swing woes that have beset my game. The consistency I was starting to show early in the season is definitely what I'm missing, now. Decent first 9, followed by a dreadful second 9. Any chance we can make these 9 hole matches? ;-)

Will be back to work for a Saturday range session and a Sunday morning round. The grind is indeed real.

Played another round late this afternoon. Still trying to work through the swing woes that have beset my game. The consistency I was starting to show early in the season is definitely what I'm missing, now. Decent first 9, followed by a dreadful second 9. Any chance we can make these 9 hole matches? ;-)

Will be back to work for a Saturday range session and a Sunday morning round. The grind is indeed real.
I think the beauty of this event is the match play aspect. When we all go out and play and make a double, or a two, or a triple, we think "well damn now I'm not going to shoot 79"... in match play you lose a whole making a double, ok, on to the next hole and standing on the tee it's a fresh start every hole. Obviously momentum can come and go, but that's how I've been prepping and it takes off some of the stress. Of course I want to shoot 78 but it's not going to happen more often than it is at this point in my game. You have the skills Jeremy

Excellent points, Jed. What I'm really striving for is that consistency. I know that will be very beneficial, especially on those holes when i might need a bounce-back.

Of the three formats we're going to play in Myrtle which one are you most excited to play? And Why?

Four Ball on True Blue
Alternate Shot on Caledonia
Sunday Singles on True Blue

Of the three formats we're going to play in Myrtle which one are you most excited to play? And Why?

Four Ball on True Blue

That's a great question and one I've thought about since the day the formats were announced. All have a very specific allure i'm looking forward to, but given that it's the last day when everything is going to be on the line, I'd have to go with the Sunday singles. It's easily going to be my greatest personal test of golf completion of my lifetime.

How about you?

That's a great question and one I've thought about since the day the formats were announced. All have a very specific allure i'm looking forward to, but given that it's the last day when everything is going to be on the line, I'd have to go with the Sunday singles. It's easily going to be my greatest personal test of golf completion of my lifetime.

How about you?
I like the challenges of all 3. But like you the thought of singles really is that final test of golf.

Thats a tough call, Im going to have to say singles and then alt shot. I love the aspect of one on one but also like the pressure of my teammate relying on me to put him in a good spot. The league im in is singles matchplay so I feel Ill be most ready for that.

Thats a tough call, Im going to have to say singles and then alt shot. I love the aspect of one on one but also like the pressure of my teammate relying on me to put him in a good spot. The league im in is singles matchplay so I feel Ill be most ready for that.
Perhaps with a bit more pressure than we've experienced before?
I feel my game is best suited to Four Ball.
What is it about your game that makes Fourball more appealing?

Four Ball on True Blue

I'm honestly looking forward to all of them. If I had to narrow it down, I guess the Four Ball and Alt Shot, because they are more of a departure from my typical rounds. Playing with a team mate may lead to some interesting on-course decisions regarding strategy.

I'll be interested in following along with all of the matches but I think alt shot and singles are what I'm looking forward to most

Im looking forward to it all but it will be interesting to see how things go on Sunday. You spend all day Saturday with a partner and then on Sunday you are all alone on an island. I know my first year my nerves were through the roof, took me 3 holes for my hands to stop shaking.

I feel my game is best suited to Four Ball.

Im looking forward to it all but it will be interesting to see how things go on Sunday. You spend all day Saturday with a partner and then on Sunday you are all alone on an island. I know my first year my nerves were through the roof, took me 3 holes for my hands to stop shaking.

haha I'm hoping the nerves are in check after 2. That 3rd hole is bad enough without added nerve pressure!

Quick Announcement
Pace of Play

Pace of Play will be pretty strict this year and we are putting it out here right now. If you are someone that takes 2 minutes reading greens, or has a rather lengthy pre-shot routine, you are going to want to work on it now to shorten it up.

If you fall behind, you will get a warning to get caught up. If after a few holes you are not caught up, you will be put on a timer, if you fail to catch up at that point, you will be asked to pick up the balls in your match and move to the appropriate hole regardless if it impacts the outcome of the match. You need to play ready golf. You need to be prepared when its your turn to hit.

I know that nobody thinks they are the person that slows it down, but competition golf is slower by nature and I assure everybody here, you will be the reason at some point that it gets slow. Fix it now, because while we know we will be called everything in the book for impacting the outcome, we are used to it at this point and while we dont want that to happen, it has every single year we have done events like this.

Keep up the pace or the hammer will come down! Now that's something I can get behind! (no pun intended)

As far as formats I most look forward to Sunday singles but I also love Fourball. I've never played a true Alternate Shot and until you know who your partner is it's tough to have any sort of comfort level with it.

I think the uncertainty of alt shot is something I am looking forward to, I have almost no experience with it so it intrigues me.

One thing I learned playing a Modified Pinehurst at The King (which is a quasi Alt. Shot) is that if you and your partner get any sort of momentum going it can be an absolute freight train and SO MUCH FUN.

To help with POP some, don't wait for your partner to hit if you're both relatively close to each other. Drop them off, go drive over to your ball. If you hammer one 60yds by the group, ok fine it may not be a bad idea to wait so you're not being hit at/over. That's understandable.

Also, don't hesitate to help your teammate/opponent look for a ball that's gone sideways. The group gets put on the clock and moved, not just the offending player. Make life easy for your group and pace issues hopefully won't be as prevalent. It can sneak up on you if you're not careful, so just be mindful of it.

Quick Announcement
Pace of Play

Pace of Play will be pretty strict this year and we are putting it out here right now. If you are someone that takes 2 minutes reading greens, or has a rather lengthy pre-shot routine, you are going to want to work on it now to shorten it up.

If you fall behind, you will get a warning to get caught up. If after a few holes you are not caught up, you will be put on a timer, if you fail to catch up at that point, you will be asked to pick up the balls in your match and move to the appropriate hole regardless if it impacts the outcome of the match. You need to play ready golf. You need to be prepared when its your turn to hit.

I know that nobody thinks they are the person that slows it down, but competition golf is slower by nature and I assure everybody here, you will be the reason at some point that it gets slow. Fix it now, because while we know we will be called everything in the book for impacting the outcome, we are used to it at this point and while we dont want that to happen, it has every single year we have done events like this.

So you're saying no burger and beer at the turn? :)

Out of curiosity, what is the official time when you're on the clock? When does it actually start? From your last hit to next, or once you're at your ball? Do you think the biggest issue is on the putting green?

So you're saying no burger and beer at the turn? :)

Out of curiosity, what is the official time when you're on the clock? When does it actually start? From your last hit to next, or once you're at your ball? Do you think the biggest issue is on the putting green?

The clock starts when you arrive at your golf ball.
The biggest issue is always the greens and the tee boxes.
Amateurs miss greens, but you would be amazed at watching 2 guys standing on the green while 2 are walking to their ball that missed. Read your putt while you are waiting, so you dont have to start some of these nonsensical routines of seeing it from 9 angles only to miss the putt 5 feet to the right.

Im not saying someone should not read putts, but do so in the flow of the play, rather than making everybody on the course wait for you because you did not do it until it was your turn. We see the same thing from the fairway. People have this 2 minute routine of practice swings and a guy is hitting directly across the fairway. Start that routine (the visual part anyway) when you are there.

And frankly if you have a 60 second routine before pitches and chips and bunker shots and are prone to leave them where they are (meaning duff/fat) get in the habit of shortening that, because as we posted above, about how long it takes on the green and nobody being prepared when its their turn to putt, those 60 seconds add up, especially when the person waiting on the green is not following the above.

And finally, when you are out of the hole, pick the darn thing up. We dont care about a birdie putt, if your opponents made eagle. If you are down 4 strokes in the fairway and your opponent is greenside, give them the hole.

Just helpful tips that will make everybody's weekend more enjoyable.

Four Ball on True Blue
I don't think there's one in particular I'm most excited for. They're all going to be interesting in their own way.

Back