Callaway XR Pro Irons Preview Thread

Favourable wind, I pulled 6 iron to a 195 flag and had to putt back to the hole. Hammered. Shot perfection in both feedback and flight.

Man, these are fun irons when played well AND poorly. Try them. I dare you.

I have and they are at the top of my list for my bag remake this year!

been playing my set about 4-5 weeks after getting fit.

I was looking at the titleist ap1 and ping i25 irons and had concentrated my research on them before the fitting. I've never played callaway irons before, so these weren't even on the radar. But the numbers didn't lie once I started putting swings on them, so I took the plunge and didn't really research them until after I'd made the order and swiped my credit card. Im a measure twice and cut once type of guy, so that was a little weird.

So far, I'm really happy. Took a minute to get used to the topline view, which is were the majority of my comfort has come with irons over the years. And to be honest, I guess I was sort of prejudiced against callaway. For whatever reason, I thought of them as an old man's club. Whatever it was, I got over it quick. These are pure. I haven't seen the insane distance improvement some are reporting, but distance was never my reason for getting them. I'm definitely seeing less distance taken off when I catch it off the toe a bit or digging it out of rough with a mid iron.

Good feeling at impact. Not dampened but a flush feel--ball jumps off the face well. I can work them as much as I need to, and Im really happy with the consistency there--fades are fading the same amount and draws are drawing the same amount when I want to hit those shots. Maybe that's just my impeccable swing :), but I've found that the shaped swing gets smoother and easier when you're more confident that a shaped shot is gonna obey you, so that's nice.

So far i'm really happy with them. Our relationship is off to a good start and we get along just fine.

Finally got my 4-iron in. They shafted it with the stock KBS Tour V 90 instead of the 110 I requested, but I think I might enjoy the pairing in this particular club so I am going to run with it and see what the results are.

Finally got my 4-iron in. They shafted it with the stock KBS Tour V 90 instead of the 110 I requested, but I think I might enjoy the pairing in this particular club so I am going to run with it and see what the results are.

Do you believe that is the final tool necessary to beat a Canadian?

I am going to do it for America.

I am practically halfmerican at this point. That's just not fair.

Should be fun if we're both still banging these irons to see if we're getting similar numbers.

I am not sure there are irons I have ever swung that fit me better than these. They go a long way and launch very high. Easily 1.5 clubs maybe 2 longer than the Vapor Pro Combos. I'm sure Callaway will make something better but I don't know how they can haha

I am not sure there are irons I have ever swung that fit me better than these. They go a long way and launch very high. Easily 1.5 clubs maybe 2 longer than the Vapor Pro Combos. I'm sure Callaway will make something better but I don't know how they can haha

How do you hit them compared to the Apex in terms of distance/forgiveness?

How do you hit them compared to the Apex in terms of distance/forgiveness?

Forgiveness is very similar. I would say a slight edge to apex there and distance is maybe half a club longer.

Yesterday I went to the range and lasered a flag at 137 with my PW from XR I was flying the green with the apex just on the front. Maybe 5-7 yards difference

glad to see everyone is still experiencing some very positive results. I am still on the fence between the XR pros and the Srixon 545s, but all in all, they are both great sets.

How big of a difference is there between the V 90 and the 110?

I have made some of the best shots ever with these bad boys. They really hold their distance on some of the weaker shots. If only I could improve as a player also... =)

Those that have these, are there serial numbers with these for authentication?

Those that have these, are there serial numbers with these for authentication?

I have mine in the car and will check at lunch.

Nope. Not engraved. Was on a sticker on the 7i iirc.

Just got mine today. Hopefully I can get some wacks in this evening.

There are no serial numbers on the hosels on mine

What does it say about these irons and the buzz around them that I'm hitting my irons really well but still want to try these in a bad way?

What does it say about these irons and the buzz around them that I'm hitting my irons really well but still want to try these in a bad way?
That you're a golfer.

They be good.

Hoping I get to hit some of these at my Callaway fitting this afternoon. They look great and I hear nothing but good things.

You're #MVP and excited to get Into a set of Callaway irons for the #thegrandaddy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

74 pages on this thread and I swear I read about 65 of them... I just joined THP so I can respond to all of you that have added to this thread. Thank you!

I'm 45 years old
I WAS a 4 Handicapper
Father passed away just about 3 years ago, unexpectedly! (He was my golfing partner!)
Took a year off from golf. Just completely lost interest in playing
Came back about 30 lbs heavier and with back pain
Have not had more than a handful of round in the 70's in 2 years
Realized I could no longer hit my Mizuno's as far or as consistent as I used to

It was time for a change!

Some people really nailed my thoughts: Callaway are for old people, big bulky top line, not forged so no feel, etc.... Well, I apologize for that!

I will not say, "I swallowed my pride", and went with a more hittable, more forgiving club, because that would really take away from what these clubs really are. Since my early 20's I have been hitting soft, forged, primarily Mizuno clubs. Hit those solid and there is nothing that feels more like a hot knife slicing through butter... BALONEY!

I hit these Callaway XR Pro's and to be honest, it feels like I am cheating! This is the only way I can think to explain it. I hope if someone is reading this thread and gets down to my comments, the only thing I can say is, "Try these clubs!". You will be amazed!

I spent the better of 2 weeks hitting the clubs at the range, tomorrow will be the first time they will be used to play. I am extremely excited!

Would never have found or considered these clubs without the writings from members of THP.... Thanks again!

74 pages on this thread and I swear I read about 65 of them... I just joined THP so I can respond to all of you that have added to this thread. Thank you!

I'm 45 years old
I WAS a 4 Handicapper
Father passed away just about 3 years ago, unexpectedly! (He was my golfing partner!)
Took a year off from golf. Just completely lost interest in playing
Came back about 30 lbs heavier and with back pain
Have not had more than a handful of round in the 70's in 2 years
Realized I could no longer hit my Mizuno's as far or as consistent as I used to

It was time for a change!

Some people really nailed my thoughts: Callaway are for old people, big bulky top line, not forged so no feel, etc.... Well, I apologize for that!

I will not say, "I swallowed my pride", and went with a more hittable, more forgiving club, because that would really take away from what these clubs really are. Since my early 20's I have been hitting soft, forged, primarily Mizuno clubs. Hit those solid and there is nothing that feels more like a hot knife slicing through butter... BALONEY!

I hit these Callaway XR Pro's and to be honest, it feels like I am cheating! This is the only way I can think to explain it. I hope if someone is reading this thread and gets down to my comments, the only thing I can say is, "Try these clubs!". You will be amazed!

I spent the better of 2 weeks hitting the clubs at the range, tomorrow will be the first time they will be used to play. I am extremely excited!

Would never have found or considered these clubs without the writings from members of THP.... Thanks again!
Good luck with your round tomorrow. Let us know how it goes.

Back