Shaft pondering from a shaft idiot...

i don't agree based on my own experience. the testing you did sounds really cool and fun and i'm glad you found what you work the best with. a slower swing speed, lower launch, lower spin player won't benefit as much from a low/low profile shaft that is too heavy but has the right amount of torque. the torque will matter; it's certainly not irrelevant; but get the weight right, get the tip stiffness right, get the spin right, get the bend point right, then worry about the torque. i don't think it makes sense to put torque ahead of anything else in the list of characteristics that matter when picking the right shaft.

I agree with what your saying and didn't mean to imply otherwise if that's how my post read. I was just saying it's important and wouldn't suggest that a low launch/spin shaft might work with a slow speed player just because it has the right amount of torque.

I was thinking more along the lines of two different make/model shafts of similar weight and flex that produce different distances or dispersion. It could be a difference in torque that is causing it. That is why I'm a believer of looking at a total profile of a shaft. Once you know the ball park range you fit in, you can really narrow down what shafts you should be looking at when it comes time to make a change. Assuming you aren't making significant changes elsewhere - head/weight/flex or swing changes.

I agree with what your saying and didn't mean to imply otherwise if that's how my post read. I was just saying it's important and wouldn't suggest that a low launch/spin shaft might work with a slow speed player just because it has the right amount of torque.

I was thinking more along the lines of two different make/model shafts of similar weight and flex that produce different distances or dispersion. It could be a difference in torque that is causing it. That is why I'm a believer of looking at a total profile of a shaft. Once you know the ball park range you fit in, you can really narrow down what shafts you should be looking at when it comes time to make a change. Assuming you aren't making significant changes elsewhere - head/weight/flex or swing changes.

right on! and i think what you're saying is proof of how important it is to test, and why i think op would be best served by going and doing a lot of hands-on testing. you've done a ton of work to figure out what works best for you. most of mine has been trial and lots of error. i want to see him go hit rather than buy off ebay and hope.

I wish I could just borrow a bunch and go to the range.

I wish I could just borrow a bunch and go to the range.
I have an Oban Kiyoshi White in 05 (X) with a Cally adapter I could send you to try. If you like we can talk. If not send it back. Just let me know.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Very late to the party but I observed a few instances that may be interesting to some. Will use UST shafts as an example so differences in method for measuring torque is not an issue.

Elements Earth 7F4 - really stiff shaft, low-low, 3.8 torque
Elements Fire 7F4 - mid-mid, 3.0 torque
Elements Wind 7F4 - midhigh-midhigh, 2.8 torque
Attas3 7S - high, high - 2.5 torque

I read/saw a clip where Danny Le explained the differences. The higher torque gives the fast ss, aggressive transition player the feel they desire whereas the lower torque gives a slower ss player the feel that they’re hitting a shaft with lot more substance due to the tighter feeling.

In another Youtube clip Jamie Pipes explained the testing done with VTS series. All 3 VTS wood shafts have the same profile, only difference is torque. The testers got the best results with the shaft where the torque was the best fit for the tester.

I’m NOT MAKING A SWEEPING GENERALIZATION as different shaft companies take different approaches - Even UST may have taken a different view by now. Just want to share what I found out while researching for my own knowledge. Any shaft that has performed well for me, in multiple fittings at Club Champion and Cool Clubs, have had torque in the range approximately 3.0 - 3.5, given some margin as I don’t know the # for each shaft.

I quickly became a firm believer in torque being as important in shaft fitting as any other variable.

YMMV

Back