Do Dress Codes bother you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I worry about it because THP is suppose to welcome all types of golfers, but this thread does not make me feel very welcome.

Would you show up to a THP event in jeans and a t-shirt? Outside of that, I don't see much judging going on. I see a theme that courses set their rules and if you want to play there, you should follow their rules.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I worry about it because THP is suppose to welcome all types of golfers, but this thread does not make me feel very welcome.

I am not a fan of jeans on the course at all, but honestly, if you and I met up on a course that allowed jeans and you wore them, I wouldn't bat an eye dude. Wear what you want within the realm of the dress code, share some laughs with me, and we will be A-OK

Andy, why do you take offense to people wanting to adhere to a dress code? And why do you think that carries over onto THP and who should feel comfortable being on the site? No one is asking you to wear a collared shirt while posting buddy!!!

Oops..... accidental post.

I am not a fan of jeans on the course at all, but honestly, if you and I met up on a course that allowed jeans and you wore them, I wouldn't bat an eye dude. Wear what you want within the realm of the dress code, share some laughs with me, and we will be A-OK

That's the reality right there. I haven't seen anyone post that they think people are scum who wear jeans on a golf course that doesn't have a dress code, but rather, that they prefer there be a dress code.

I don't really understand why people would take that preference personally.

Next time we play together buddy. I'm making myself some nice jean shorts.

Wet-Hot-Truglio-Marino_320.jpg

~Rock

Andy, why do you take offense to people wanting to adhere to a dress code? And why do you think that carries over onto THP and who should feel comfortable being on the site? No one is asking you to wear a collared shirt while posting buddy!!!

Yeah, but I need to believe you've got clothes on while posting here. Or if not, lie to me.

What's pretty funny, is that I don't think I've seen one post about someone saying that you can't play in jeans and a tshirt if the course allows it. Just because some people are going to look at you funny (won't lie, I will be one of them), that doesn't mean they are saying you can't be there. If the course does have a dress code, I'm not sure why you take that personally. I 100% of the time only golf in decent shorts or pants, and always with a polo no matter what the course rules are. But I do that because that's part of the game to me. Maybe that's why I have 0 problem with dress codes, but I like that people look decent when playing golf.

I've never seen people get so up in arms about wanting to wear jeans in a place where jeans really don't make sense. Denim isn't a flexible or breathable fabric...it honestly doesn't make sense to me. I fully understand the thing about going straight from work and having nothing else to wear, but the actual thought process and choosing to wear jeans to golf is beyond me. Not going to tell you that you can't do it if the course allows for it, but it just doesn't make sense to me. I wouldn't wear jeans to do any physical activity by choice.

What's pretty funny, is that I don't think I've seen one post about someone saying that you can't play in jeans and a tshirt if the course allows it. Just because some people are going to look at you funny (won't lie, I will be one of them), that doesn't mean they are saying you can't be there. If the course does have a dress code, I'm not sure why you take that personally. I 100% of the time only golf in decent shorts or pants, and always with a polo no matter what the course rules are. But I do that because that's part of the game to me. Maybe that's why I have 0 problem with dress codes, but I like that people look decent when playing golf.

I've never seen people get so up in arms about wanting to wear jeans in a place where jeans really don't make sense. Denim isn't a flexible or breathable fabric...it honestly doesn't make sense to me. I fully understand the thing about going straight from work and having nothing else to wear, but the actual thought process and choosing to wear jeans to golf is beyond me. Not going to tell you that you can't do it if the course allows for it, but it just doesn't make sense to me. I wouldn't wear jeans to do any physical activity by choice.

NC in July, playing golf in jeans..... ouch. No thank you.

This. I have some very comfortable jeans, but the Izod shorts and Izod pants I have (Which I bought for around $20 each, cheaper than most jeans by the way) are way more comfortable for golf.

I have 3 younger brothers who don't play much golf, and the times I have golfed with them, they haven't had any trouble with dress code. One course, a muni in Austin that allowed fivesomes, the only dress code was "shirts required" and the other, a private club, was proper golf attire. At the muni, the guys wore shorts and Tees or tank tops, at the club, they wore shorts and tucked polos. Both cases they were within dress code, and that's what it tool for them to play with me. I wouldn't wear what they wore to the muni, and that is ok by them. Golf courses should be allowed to have a dress code and enforce it, no matter the level of dress.

I don't take offense to anybody adhering to a dress code.
I take offense to being judged for wearing jeans on a course where it is considered normal attire.
I take offense to sarcastic remarks that insinuate that if we are going to allow golf in jeans we might as well allow nudity on planes.

That's why I think places like Top Golf are going to open the door to the public more than anything else ever will.

Make it casual IN THE RIGHT SETTING, and let people get excited about the game. Then, if they love it, they can dive in.

Top Golf is an awesome experience and I hope to see them keep growing. My 17 year old son and his buddies love Top Golf and so do the college age kids I know. Maybe someday he'll actually show some interest in playing golf. I'm almost sure 10 years from now he's going to regret not taking advantage of playing more as a teenager!

Even this weekend I can't imagine playing golf in jeans. So many great golf pant options I am not sure why not being allowed to wear jeans is even a big deal.

Top Golf is an awesome experience and I hope to see them keep growing. My 17 year old son and his buddies love Top Golf and so do the college age kids I know. Maybe someday he'll actually show some interest in playing golf. I'm almost sure 10 years from now he's going to regret not taking advantage of playing more as a teenager!

I know I did!

I take offense to being judged for wearing jeans on a course where it is considered normal attire.
I take offense to sarcastic remarks that insinuate that if we are going to allow golf in jeans we might as well allow nudity on planes.
Honest question. If you play a course with no dress code and the guy next to you is in daisy dukes and a wife beater with a giant belt buckle of the confederate flag you tell me you don't assume or judge anything?

Cmon now...just because it's extreme doesn't mean the case changes.

I think the planes joke was going in a different direction but I wasn't following the thread when it happened.

If you spend your life doing something a certain way and it's presented in another, you're going to assess and judge what you're not used to seeing. It's human nature to do so. Me personally, I'm not judging someone for going to play a golf course that allows that attire, but I'll absolutely judge them if they show in jeans to play courses that DO have a dress code, but mostly if they make a big deal about it.

We all get our own unique experience out of this crazy game. Just like my wife's uncle who plays in gym shorts and flip flops. I'll still wear what I wear, and play the game how I want to play, but you better believe i'm not trying to take him anywhere with a dress code hahahaha!

I think the planes joke was going in a different direction but I wasn't following the thread when it happened.

If you spend your life doing something a certain way and it's presented in another, you're going to assess and judge what you're not used to seeing. It's human nature to do so. Me personally, I'm not judging someone for going to play a golf course that allows that attire, but I'll absolutely judge them if they show in jeans to play courses that DO have a dress code, but mostly if they make a big deal about it.

We all get our own unique experience out of this crazy game. Just like my wife's uncle who plays in gym shorts and flip flops. I'll still wear what I wear, and play the game how I want to play, but you better believe i'm not trying to take him anywhere with a dress code hahahaha!
Exactly it is human nature to judge anything different.

Also keep in mind you may be OK with jeans but what if the other three in your group are uncomfortable with it? I personally would not be bringing anyone to my course that I knew would be wearing jeans. All are entitled to do what they want and dress how they want but your choice may make others act a certain way. All actions have a reaction and just because the reaction may not be what you like doesn't make either side wrong this goes for life as well as dress.

People absolutely judge you based on how you dress and present yourself. Right or wrong that is the way it is.

I know I did!

I've been telling him for years that all this soccer, lacrosse, track, and water-polo will come to an abrupt end when he's done with high school in a year but he's just not interested in playing more than a couple rounds a year. It bums me out a little because he has a great swing and if he developed any type of short game he'd be a single digit handicap in a matter of months. My youngest daughter loves golf so I guess I should be happy that 1 of my 3 kids will dive into the game as a teenager. The game is so much easier if you get proficient at it as a teenager.

Question for the guys who love playing in skynard shirts, jeans and work boots. Do you look at someone funny if they show up in shorts showing off their underwear, that are halfway down their shins, with a Tupac tee and multiple gold chains?

Question for the guys who love playing in skynard shirts, jeans and work boots. Do you look at someone funny if they show up in shorts showing off their underwear, that are halfway down their shins, with a Tupac tee and multiple gold chains?

Speedos on a golf course. Because it's the ultimate tan/heat control.

Also, AdamW? At least he wears a collared shirt with them.

Something I find interesting is that golf is in almost every way is such an individual sport. We can play alone or with people we don't know. We can play whatever clubs we want. We can swing the club a million different ways and get good, bad or medium results. We can play whatever tees we want. We aren't on a team, our score is only our own. Virtually the only group expectation placed on anyone ever is to wear a certain type of clothing - and even then the rule is usually two fold: have a collar and don't wear denim. Yet people balk at it. To the extent there is snobbishness in the dress code expectation, there is also some inherent selfishness in the opposite position (I do not aim this comment at people in the thread, just a general observation). Anyway, nobody would ever consider objecting to wearing a baseball uniform which commonly includes near skin-tight pants, bulky football pads or a helmet, what amounts to underwear/pajamas to play basketball...but collared shirt and no denim?? Now we've got problems. Interesting.

You are crazy :alien:, not everyone has these items or feels they are needed in life. They stick to what they know and that's it. The same holds true for some golfers. They don't own golf pants or a polo. They play their golf at tracks that allow this and are happy with it. Some courses have laxed rules and guys just like playing in jeans, that is their choice. If the club doesn't mind, why should anyone else.

If your club doesn't allow attire outside of golf attire then I am all for following the rules and holding people to those rules. But if the course doesn't then I have no dog in the fight.

I think part of the issue with this thread it hat it is perceived that guys that were jeans are lesser. And that some would not tee it up with these guys. That I have an issue with, no a dress code.As I read through, that is the feeling I get. Not saying its you but I thunk some feel that way.

I don't understand how someone would not own at least one polo/collared shirt and a nice pair of pants or shorts just in general. It seems like just a standard thing that everyone would have. Maybe I'm crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back