Help with golf terms and words?

ringolf

Reaction score
Handicap
Okay, I need a thread where I can consistently ask for terms and words you usually use during golf.
We Japanese have a bad habit of changing the terms and words to our own preference and when we go overseas, we can't really tell what the caddie meant.
For example, we call tailwind as 'follow' and headwind as 'against'.
We also use terms like 'slice' and 'hook' on the greens and when I googled it on the net, there were a bunch of articles that say 'how do you even hook or slice on the green?' and the proper saying for it is 'left-to-right putt' or 'break to the right'.
There are many articles that say many various terms depending on the player I guess.
So, I was wondering if you guys can help me out here with my English golf terms while I try to figure out what it is in Japanese and hopefully apply it when we go golfing overseas.
Just little terms or words that you think might be interesting for us to know would be fine. Or maybe things you usually say? Probably like 'if we got a nice shot to the green, we call it a good approach' or something like that? You might think it is very common or usual for you to say it but it might be a totally different word here. lol
Help/teach me?

I don't know there's a whole lot.

"Cut shot" = Fade
"Pull" = straight ball that went left
"Worm burner" = ball that stays just above the ground or rolls along the ground
"Chunk" = a mishit ball, having hit behind the ball
"Lay the sod over" = hit WAY behind the ball, so much so that you could imagine taking a huge divot and having it flop over on top of the ball
"Skull or thin" = to hit a shot near the equator of the ball, sending it much farther than intended
"Duck hook" = a ball hit left that dives further left
"Hit it Alice" or "did you step on your skirt?" - a jab to another golfer when they leave a putt way short
"Flop shot" - laying the face of the club wide open and taking a big swing, popping the ball straight up to get to a short-sided pin

Pull- is a straight shot offline, for a RH golfer it goes left, LH golfer pulls to the right.
Push- is the exact opposite.
Beach-sand trap
The drink- the water (pond, lake, river)

I'll start with a few off the top of my head

Fade - A golf shot that moves slightly from the left to the right in the air
Slice - A golf shot that moves hard from the left to the right in the air

Draw - A golf shot that moves slightly from the right to the left in the air
Hook - A golf shot that moves hard from the right to the left in the air

Skull- when your greenside chip goes across the entire green at abut a foot off the ground at a high rate of speed.

Whiff - when you swing at the ball and miss it completely

"Hit it Alice" or "did you step on your skirt?" - a jab to another golfer when they leave a putt way short

I've also heard "Does your husband play too?"

Man...I'm a native English speaker and there were a few golf terms that took me a while to figure out. It certainly didn't help that I was hesitant to ask for fear of looking like the newbie I was (and kind of still am). Things like "fat", "thin", "up and down", "draw", "fade", and the difference between a "chip" and a "pitch" were things I just figured out based on context after playing a while.

There are still things I haven't found an explanation for that I understand (over the top). I can only imagine trying to figure these things out as a non-native speaker of the language.

Do you have any terms like 'par putts' where is you sink them in this putt, it is a par?
How about when you managed to sink the ball in one putt? Do you say 'nice sink' or 'good putt'?
And a shot that got you on the green, 'nice on'??
(Japanese love the word 'nice', basically nice everything...)

Yea. A "par putt" is the Putt you have that would be for par.

Nice sink isn't used, it would be nice putt.

Nice on/good up for getting on the green.

Are you looking for American slang or are you looking for actual golf terminology?

Too Pure - When you absolutely launch a ball way farther than you had intended.

Are you looking for American slang or are you looking for actual golf terminology?

Hmmm, both I guess? I think more on the slang though. You know, things you would hear from a caddie or fellow golfer in the America.
Of course the terminology too if it differs.

You have your usual birdie (1 under par), eagle (2 under par) but for some reason the Americans call 3 under par on a hole a 'double eagle' whereas the rest of the world calls it an albatross

Scores over par on a hole include bogey (+1), double bogey (+2), if you score 8 on a hole you can hear it referred to as a snowman

You have your usual birdie (1 under par), eagle (2 under par) but for some reason the Americans call 3 under par on a hole a 'double eagle' whereas the rest of the world calls it an albatross

Scores over par on a hole include bogey (+1), double bogey (+2), if you score 8 on a hole you can hear it referred to as a snowman

Fwiw only some Americans call it a double eagle. It's an albatross. Double eagle makes me a bit nuts.

Do you have any terms like 'par putts' where is you sink them in this putt, it is a par?
How about when you managed to sink the ball in one putt? Do you say 'nice sink' or 'good putt'?
And a shot that got you on the green, 'nice on'??
(Japanese love the word 'nice', basically nice everything...)

All of those would be good here.

Fwiw only some Americans call it a double eagle. It's an albatross. Double eagle makes me a bit nuts.

Slightly sweeping statement it was, but I have only ever heard it from Americans which was the reason behind my post

Apologies for tarring you all with the same brush

Slightly sweeping statement it was, but I have only ever heard it from Americans which was the reason behind my post

Apologies for tarring you all with the same brush

No offense taken. I was just clarifying. It does seem to be an American only term, but for the OP not all Americans will use it.

Back