Annhl8rX

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm a fan of the work done over at fivethirtyeight.com. For those not familiar it is a site run by Nate Silver. He and the staff analyze everything from sports to entertainment to politics with a numbers based approach. They took a look at the "drive for show, putt for dough" premise, and came up with some interesting results.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/this-is-how-you-master-the-masters/?ex_cid=538twitter

I'm certainly no statistician, and I really don't know all that much about golf (particularly tour golf) in the grand scheme of things. Maybe this thing is full of flaws and somebody here can parse that out. Maybe it's right on. I'll leave that to you guys to decide. I just thought it was interesting.

Myth Busted?

Considering basically everyone on the PGA tour has to be a great putter and have a great short game to start with to even make it there, it doesn't surprise me that at that level approach shots are the most important factor to determine who the top players are.

I think this myth busted a while back.

No surprise really. Looks like the approach is the most important. These guys are so good they rarely 3 putt so get it on the green or close to the hole and make the putts.

Back