Thinking about a private club

dleavitt39

Reaction score
Handicap
14-16
I know there's been a few posts about people looking at clubs, but wanted to get some input on my own dilemma.

Moved to Las Vegas last year, never been part of a private club. I'm looking at the following club: http://spanishtrailcc.com/

It is a course with 27 holes, I've played it before, beautiful course, challenging. And with the 3 9-hole courses, there's a variety. Has golf, tennis, swimming, card room, 2 full service restaurants as well as a bar with a limited menu, and 2 other rooms for private events, full service locker rooms. And the best part is their Junior Exec program goes to 35 instead of 30 for tier 1. So, for me it would be $350/month, no initiation fee, only a 30 day minimum guarantee, not locked in yearly, and no food/bev minimum. The only down side I have found is that they still charge a cart fee, which is, if I remember correct, $15/round. Would love to hear your thoughts on whether this seems like a good deal?

Dan

Provided you like the courses, I would definitely do this. No food minimum, tennis and a pool in addition to golf sounds great. The cart fee is pretty much every where, so that'd be a non issue for me.

I like the idea Dan. Course looks solid and the price is right for all you get it seems to me.

Is it walkable at all?

PS.. check your PMs

Looks like a great deal especially since you can play 12 months out of the year. No food minimum is unusual. I joined a private club 5 years ago and the best part is the pace of play is faster and you definitely will play more golf!

Looks like a great deal especially since you can play 12 months out of the year. No food minimum is unusual. I joined a private club 5 years ago and the best part is the pace of play is faster and you definitely will play more golf!

Is it unusual? Multiple clubs I have been looking at here in KC don't have food minimums.

Is it unusual? Multiple clubs I have been looking at here in KC don't have food minimums.
The private clubs here in Springfield has minimums. My club has a 50 monthly minimum but the food is excellent and drinks count towards so I always go over the minimum so I don't worry about it

The private clubs here in Springfield has minimums. My club has a 50 monthly minimum but the food is excellent and drinks count towards so I always go over the minimum so I don't worry about it

Ya I imagine with drinking included you have no issue hehe

Maybe it's just California - all of the private clubs here in the Sacramento area have a food minimum. For our club it's $250 per quarter which we always hit with all 5 in my family using the club. If we just eat there once per month we hit our minimum.

Do you think you could get yourself signed up in time for my June visit? I am completely joking. On a more serious note, if you play between 3-8 rounds a month your out of pocket will be between $380 and $470. How much golf can you play for that much money at comparable quality courses given your NV residency? How much will you use the other facilities? That sounds like a pretty nice deal to me. Considering there is no initiation fee and you are only signing a 30 day contract that you can get out of immediately it kind of seems like a no brainer.

I am also shopping for a private club. There a lot of great deals out there so I'm taking my time and viewing/playing several before I choose. A huge bonus, IMO, is cart fee only reciprocal play.

My only question is there a limit to the amount of times you can opt out and then back in? Otherwise it looks like a good deal.

Looks like a nice course and the price isn't bad considering what all you are getting. I agree with the no food minimum being unusual...most around here are between $75-$100 a month.

That seems like a steal at $15 cart fee, no initiation and no F&B min. I assume the range is unlimited and probably can walk for free in the afternoon?

I like the idea Dan. Course looks solid and the price is right for all you get it seems to me.

Is it walkable at all?

PS.. check your PMs

Is it walkable...yes. Do I enjoy walking a course, not when it's as miserably hot as it gets here...I'd probably only walk 3 months out of the year.

Do you think you could get yourself signed up in time for my June visit? I am completely joking. On a more serious note, if you play between 3-8 rounds a month your out of pocket will be between $380 and $470. How much golf can you play for that much money at comparable quality courses given your NV residency? How much will you use the other facilities? That sounds like a pretty nice deal to me. Considering there is no initiation fee and you are only signing a 30 day contract that you can get out of immediately it kind of seems like a no brainer.

If I do this, it will definitely be done by the time you're here, and if I remember right, they have really good pricing on guests.

As for the pricing, I figure I'll be playing closer to 12-18 rounds per month. To play other courses, I could, but none at the same price to quality ratio. For a course that's in as good of condition as this one, it's about 90-100/round minimum. For some courses that are not as nicely kept, it's 50/round, plus they are usually backed up and have waiting. Every time I've golfed this course, I've seen maybe 1 other person on the course, and always a few holes away. Last thing to mention, is the club has an all grass practice facility, which to me is huge, as I can't stand using mats, so that alone is a huge bonus, as the only place in town with grass practice facilities you can use and not also play a round is the Taylor Made Golf Experience.

Dan

Is it walkable...yes. Do I enjoy walking a course, not when it's as miserably hot as it gets here...I'd probably only walk 3 months out of the year.

If I do this, it will definitely be done by the time you're here, and if I remember right, they have really good pricing on guests.

As for the pricing, I figure I'll be playing closer to 12-18 rounds per month. To play other courses, I could, but none at the same price to quality ratio. For a course that's in as good of condition as this one, it's about 90-100/round minimum. For some courses that are not as nicely kept, it's 50/round, plus they are usually backed up and have waiting. Every time I've golfed this course, I've seen maybe 1 other person on the course, and always a few holes away. Last thing to mention, is the club has an all grass practice facility, which to me is huge, as I can't stand using mats, so that alone is a huge bonus, as the only place in town with grass practice facilities you can use and not also play a round is the Taylor Made Golf Experience.

Dan

I think the last paragraph seals it with the amount that you'll play, the price to quality ratio, pace of play, and grass practice facility. That was one of the main things that I wanted when I was looking for a club. Our F&B minimum is $100 (includes alcohol) which isn't too bad.

That sounds like a great deal. I am a huge fan of no F&B minimum.
The only other thing I would consider is the tipping policy. As in, what is the policy?
Enjoy!!

For the amount of golf you'll be playing per month, that is definitely a good deal.

I know there's been a few posts about people looking at clubs, but wanted to get some input on my own dilemma.

Moved to Las Vegas last year, never been part of a private club. I'm looking at the following club: http://spanishtrailcc.com/

It is a course with 27 holes, I've played it before, beautiful course, challenging. And with the 3 9-hole courses, there's a variety. Has golf, tennis, swimming, card room, 2 full service restaurants as well as a bar with a limited menu, and 2 other rooms for private events, full service locker rooms. And the best part is their Junior Exec program goes to 35 instead of 30 for tier 1. So, for me it would be $350/month, no initiation fee, only a 30 day minimum guarantee, not locked in yearly, and no food/bev minimum. The only down side I have found is that they still charge a cart fee, which is, if I remember correct, $15/round. Would love to hear your thoughts on whether this seems like a good deal?

Dan

Sounds to me like a great deal. Comparable to the Junior memberships around here, and no F&B minimums is huge (we don't have any either which is great because the food at my course is terrible). Paying for a cart is about as normal as it gets.

From what you've posted it sounds like a great deal. I dream of being able to do something like this some day.

I'm envious.
Thats a great deal...and to get 27 holes, that's too sweet a deal to pass on if you can afford it.

Im no longer eligible for the reduced rate, and there's only one club within a close proximity.

Its $11,000 down, and $750/month thereafter. Also a food minimum.

I played with with the idea of doing it last fall...but then decided the real possibility of getting neutered while I slept by the wifey wasn't worth it.

If you are going to be able to play that often, with no minimums or initiation fee, this sounds like a great deal and I'd jump on it.

That sounds like a sweet deal if you plan on using the tennis, pool, etc. I've always kind of thought about joining a club but never really actively worked on it.

Sounds solid. Vegas is one of my favorite vacation spots, although I've never played golf there.

Do they not have a packaged 'cart fee' where you can pay it once and be done with it? Myself, I wouldn't mind paying a cart fee. I would just be annoyed that I have to take the time to pay someone to play golf at a place I have a membership.

You'll get used to the heat, and may find yourself walking more than just 3 months a year. At least that's what my friends who live out there tell me. It is, afterall, a very dry heat. But when its 105, well, that's 105, humidity or not, that's just hot.

Also, and off topic, there is a place in old-downtown that makes a jalepeno beer, and its just good.

~Rock

Are there condos lining any holes?

Back