Do Dress Codes bother you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kick my ball into divots?! How dare you sir. The rules of golf will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and FUUUUUNNGGGIIIII anger!

FIFY.

I'm ok with wearing whatever the course deems acceptable attire. I'm on their property, and therefore need to abide by their rules. It's a moot point trying to argue it, you'll lose 100% of the time.

I am an assistant pro at a local course and can say first hand that a dress code is needed, at least at a respectable course that doesn't want to cater to the occasional "golfer" that uses playing a round an excuse to act like an a** and party often causing damage to the course property and driving carts everywhere. The dress code would keep away those that do not appreciate the game and the classy type aspect that it can represent. Also, like others above have stated, buying golf attire is really not that expensive if you know where to look.

If I ever have to share a pizza with Canadan, I know what I'm getting on my half. #FungusFTW

If I ever have to share a pizza with Canadan, I know what I'm getting on my half. #FungusFTW

hmmmm #ExtraFungus

The courses with a dress code are the ones I usually play mid summer in hot conditions. My normal summer attire is usually golf shorts i and A nice golf shirt with (without) collar. I'm not going to play a nice expensive course fall or spring, if I'm paying full price I want to play with prime conditions .

in the fall and summer golf attire gets replaced with just battling the elements and not getting sick

I don't care what anybody does as long as it doesn't negatively affect me or my family, pretty much with everything in life. Though if you don't agree with a rule that a business practices, don't give that business your money, pretty simple solution.

Interestingly, there is a dress code on the PGA. No shorts for players allowed. Caddies get a pass.

I certainly remember when they played the PGA Championship in Southern Hills and the temps were 100+. Watching the pros slog around that heat in long pants - I couldn't think of a more painful torture than that.

Andy, why do you take offense to people wanting to adhere to a dress code? And why do you think that carries over onto THP and who should feel comfortable being on the site? No one is asking you to wear a collared shirt while posting buddy!!!

Probably because you and others have said you don't think people should be able to wear jeans etc...
You yourself said earlier that you judge people by what they wear.
How does that not carry over?

Here is a quote from you in an earlier post

"Now, if a course doesn't adhere to a dress code and someone is rocking jeans, well, that's entirely up to them -- but based on nearly 30 years of golfing, they are absolutely going to get categorized by me, especially in season. It's just the way it is."

Maybe I am reading that wrong, but to me it sure sounds like it doesn't matter what the course allows, you are against it no matter what. And you will judge people for it even if the course allows it.

This comment and others like it are where I think the majority of people on the other side of the fence have the problem.
Not with the dress codes themselves. But the attitude with those that are still FOLLOWING the dress code, but not wearing what you would like them to.

fwiw , jeans worn (in a nicer environment) depending on type of jeans, color and along with a given shirt and shoe types mixed and matched can be quite respectful and nice looking attire.
I have many times worn and seen others wearing jeans in such ways and styles along with the correct shirts and shoes and end up looking and displaying a better (or higher standard look) than those not wearing jeans. Basically there are dressier jeans and styles for the up dressed occasions and atmospheres.

However with that said I don't think when we talk of jeans on the course that we are talking about wearing them in the same manor.

Its funny though, what comes to mind is at times when on vacation in the Caribbean or similar when certain restaurants at the resorts require long pants. And I do pack them with me. But Here I may have on a pair of dressier shorts with a nice button down shirt and sport a very nice clean and respectful look for the atmosphere and yet I have to go back and get a pair of long pants (dockers) whatever which also look good too but yet the person who shows up in beat up blue jeans and a beat up looking colored shirt looking like he just rolled out of bed and quite frankly far less respectful looking than vs when I first had on my shorts. Simply put I was far more up-dressed in appearance with the original shorts because it was over all a much more dressed up out fit. Yet the beat up jeans were technically long pants so then you sit in the restaurant and are dressed well for the atmosphere and yet see joe shmoe in his beat to death clothing at the next table simply because his pants were long. Kind of imo goes against the very idea for why they put the policy together in the first place.

Dude you are looking at this from a chip on the shoulder stand point when everybody keeps saying the same thing. Nobody has a care what anybody wears if the course allows it.

Ironically you skipped over the part of judgement on the confederate flag. You have been to a thp event including a heck of a grand one. Anybody judge you because of where you came from? Or were you treated with respect from the minute you arrived?

Also some irony of I came from a single parent that was a school teacher with two of us living in a small apt. My guess is our neighborhoods are different and yet both found this great game.

But that is exactly what some have said??? That even if it is allowed they disagree or look down upon it. Not most, but some have stated just that. That they are against it, no matter what.

Last edited:
Probably because you and others have said you don't think people should be able to wear jeans etc...

"Now, if a course doesn't adhere to a dress code and someone is rocking jeans, well, that's entirely up to them -- but based on nearly 30 years of golfing, they are absolutely going to get categorized by me, especially in season. It's just the way it is."

Maybe I am reading that wrong, but to me it sure sounds like it doesn't matter what the course allows, you are against it no matter what. And you will judge people for it even if the course allows it.

This comment and others like it are where I think the majority of people on the other side of the fence have the problem.
Not with the dress codes themselves. But the attitude with those that are still FOLLOWING the dress code, but not wearing what you would like them to.

I am not against a golf course NOT having a dress code. Were it up to me, I'd prefer it to have one because that is how I see golf, but I recognize that not everyone is like me.

For that matter, I feel the same way about an office setting. I believe there is no place for casual dress in an office, but I understand there are many offices that do not think it's necessary for their employees to look professional. Do I categorize people who go to said offices with strange attire on, that in my opinion is beyond casual? Of course I do. Do I go out of my way to strike up a conversation with said people? I do not. The way I see it, their mindset is bound to be different than mine, built solely around the way I project myself, and the way they project themselves.

I don't feel differently on a golf course. If the rules stipulate that jeans are not a part of the dress code and people are trying to play in jeans, I judge them for that. If the rules do not stipulate that, I think it's entirely up to them, however I categorize them as being there for different reasons than I would, and therefore I likely would not strike up a conversation with them.

Again, it's basic human nature to do this. Whether or not I want all courses to have a dress code is a matter of opinion. Nowhere in my comments (at least I don't think anywhere) do I openly state what I think people should wear. I simply stated my opinion on whether I think there's a place for jeans on the golf course.

Fortunately there's more to THP than aligning clothing preference.

This thread has some of the best discussion ive seen in some time. Nothing wrong with either sides opinion and I love that THP can bring us together to engage in this conversation. Good stuff

Isn't that a bit of a double standard though. The ones arguing for jeans have called people who like dress codes snobby and elitist.

I personally dont care. Just an observation.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I've seen some pretty darn good players wearing jeans on the course. And even better people.

Isn't that a bit of a double standard though. The ones arguing for jeans have called people who like dress codes snobby and elitist.

I personally dont care. Just an observation.

Maybe that has been said, but not by me...

You guys are all racist and hate those Jean people. My all your denim turn into LEE denim or Jordache (sorry if folks still sport these).

Rules = Good

JEANS = RELAXED DRESS CODE

Where what you want but follow the rules. HAPPY EFFN FRIDAY EVERYONE!

Jeans or cool as long as you wear them in a respectable way. Heck I've seen people wear jeans in a church on Sunday. I don't think the Lord would get mad at them doing so, if they came in with the right heart. There's way too much bickering going on about what sort of fricking pants a golfer should wear. Golf is a game and should be enjoyed as a game. When it becomes so serious, that we worry about who's wearing what, it's time to get a new life. The good thing is, we can choose where we play, who we play with, and why we play the game.

You guys are all racist and hate those Jean people. My all your denim turn into LEE denim or Jordache (sorry if folks still sport these).

Rules = Good

JEANS = RELAXED DRESS CODE

Where what you want but follow the rules. HAPPY EFFN FRIDAY EVERYONE!

My wife told me the 80s are in right now (sure looked like it skiing this year - I think I had some of those jackets growing up). Jordache might be making a comeback.

Agree 100% with you here. Perfectly said.

I guess my thing is that I wouldn't wear golf attire to a county fair or tractor pull, so why would I wear clothing I would wear to either of those activities on the golf course? Dan isn't saying if you wear jeans you can't golf. But he's saying that HE personally does not think they have a place on the golf course in his OPINION. Which, for the record, I feel the same way. Will I look at you funny for it? Yes...you are dressed incorrectly for the activity. Will I judge you as a PERSON. No, I will not. But I can judge your outfit without judging your character. Just like every single person at a tractor pull would look at me funny if I were to walk up in golf pants and a purple polo. Stop kidding yourselves if you don't think you look at someone differently based off how they are dressed. It's the same thing if I roll into a small town diner with a suit on when everyone else has on jeans and a flannel shirt. I look different, and will be judged by everyone for it. EVERYONE. If you think you wouldn't judge that person, that's great, but you're lying to yourself.

What I don't get, is that people are so against dress codes and apparently wearing golf attire, that they go so far as to call out people who do wear golf attire as snobby or stuck up/elitist/what have you. Which I don't understand. Go to the golf section of any sporting good store...are they selling jeans? Nope. Why? Because jeans aren't golfing attire. Just because a place doesn't have a dress code and you CAN wear what you want doesn't all of a sudden make jeans golf attire.

This doesn't just go for golf either. It's any sport, or any activity, or ANY social setting. There is a certain expected dress code at every single life event, and to go outside of that "expected" dress code means you will be looked at differently. I've said it in another post...if you're going to make the conscious decision to do so...own it. But just know you're going to be looked at differently. It may be more common the more outside the city you go, but it's still not the correct attire, no matter your stance on the situation.

Maybe that has been said, but not by me...

It was a general question. Wasn't singling anyone out.

Wait a minute, you hate mushrooms??? That changes things

I hate them more than my ball sitting in a fairway divot.

Now we clearly have another disconnect. Mushrooms are food of the gods. I have fresh mushrooms in the fridge, dried porcini and canned button mushrooms in the pantry. Can't imagine life without them.

I guess my thing is that I wouldn't wear golf attire to a county fair or tractor pull, so why would I wear clothing I would wear to either of those activities on the golf course? Dan isn't saying if you wear jeans you can't golf. But he's saying that HE personally does not think they have a place on the golf course in his OPINION. Which, for the record, I feel the same way. Will I look at you funny for it? Yes...you are dressed incorrectly for the activity. Will I judge you as a PERSON. No, I will not. But I can judge your outfit without judging your character. Just like every single person at a tractor pull would look at me funny if I were to walk up in golf pants and a purple polo. Stop kidding yourselves if you don't think you look at someone differently based off how they are dressed. It's the same thing if I roll into a small town diner with a suit on when everyone else has on jeans and a flannel shirt. I look different, and will be judged by everyone for it. EVERYONE. If you think you wouldn't judge that person, that's great, but you're lying to yourself.

What I don't get, is that people are so against dress codes and apparently wearing golf attire, that they go so far as to call out people who do wear golf attire as snobby or stuck up/elitist/what have you. Which I don't understand. Go to the golf section of any sporting good store...are they selling jeans? Nope. Why? Because jeans aren't golfing attire. Just because a place doesn't have a dress code and you CAN wear what you want doesn't all of a sudden make jeans golf attire.

This doesn't just go for golf either. It's any sport, or any activity, or ANY social setting. There is a certain expected dress code at every single life event, and to go outside of that "expected" dress code means you will be looked at differently. I've said it in another post...if you're going to make the conscious decision to do so...own it. But just know you're going to be looked at differently. It may be more common the more outside the city you go, but it's still not the correct attire, no matter your stance on the situation.

Very well stated but I think it depends on what location you are talking about. Where I came from, everyone or at least 90 percent of the golfers wore jeans in the winter months. There were occasions when a couple of guys/non members would show up with traditional golfing pants on however that was not the norm. Heck even when I wore something like cords to my course, for a change of pace, I got smart arse remarks like what ya got those on for? It took me a couple of years to get use to NOT wearing jeans when heading out on Saturday mornings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back