Callaway XR Hybrid Review

I can say it now. Favorite club in my bag now. It has unseated the HW for that title.

Filthy long, HIGH and soft.

I can say it now. Favorite club in my bag now. It has unseated the HW for that title.

I feel like that's a crime. Heaven wood is a heck of a club!

I really like the sound of that. As someone who love hybrids (over FWs or long irons), this is squarely in my sites. One gripe is that there isn't a 2hy, but it sounds like these are long enough I might not need one. I love high flying forgiving clubs that go far.

The XR hybrids are nice looking clubs but just don't think I can justify moving to them from my X2 Hot hybrids, not enough difference. If I had X Hot's I'd order XR's before morning coffee was done brewing.

The XR 19 degree hybrid has taken the 913h out of the bag. The only negative I can find is the grip isn't anything special and the fact that if I want to try a different shaft I have to do it the old fashioned way. Other than that the face is lively, the LZ Project X 6.5 shaft is solid and I have never launched a 2 or 3 hybrid higher than the XR. The 913h is still in the back of my mind but I think a few more sessions dialing this baby in and the 913h will be banished permanently to the "B" bag.

Question for Jman and anyone who has hit both of these,
Compared to the bio cells are you finding these easier to hit than the Bio cells? and you seeing better flight? What has made you choose between the two and why?
Been thinking of switching out my bio 4 hybrid, and these have and my eye and interest.

Higher launch, longer, and better toe side for me. I loved the bios, but these would be my choice without hesitation. They're honestly a lot longer, FWIW.

Last edited:
The XR 19 degree hybrid has taken the 913h out of the bag. The only negative I can find is the grip isn't anything special and the fact that if I want to try a different shaft I have to do it the old fashioned way. Other than that the face is lively, the LZ Project X 6.5 shaft is solid and I have never launched a 2 or 3 hybrid higher than the XR. The 913h is still in the back of my mind but I think a few more sessions dialing this baby in and the 913h will be banished permanently to the "B" bag.

Did you gain distance? Because I would be replacing a 913h too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you gain distance? Because I would be replacing a 913h too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the only thing keeping me from diving all in with the XR. The 913h is still longer but I've only had two sessions with the XR and I recall similar growing pains when going from the 910h to the 913h. The 913h has a nice penetrating trajectory and it is the longest hybrid I've ever hit. I prefer the higher ball flight of the XR and I think with some time on the range she'll be just as long or according to reviews even longer than my beloved 913h.

All said though the 913h has been my workhorse for a long time and she won't go down without a fight. Of that I'm sure. If she makes it back to the "A" bag I'll post here.

I have the 5h and the 6h. I no longer carry a 4i, 5i, and 6i. These hybrids are exceptionally long and straight. Choking up an inch still gives me the same ball flight, just 10 yards less in distance. I am hitting these hybrids in a way that I never would have imagined. Can't say enough how these are the real deal.

Thinking about a hybrid and this one seems to fit the bill. Need to do more research.

I have a XR25 and have a XR22 coming with an inch of shaft length between to spread out the distance (hopefully).

I find the 25 easy to elevate and it lands softly. My only potential problem is that I found out that I am now eligible for S Flex status (no to R), and my hybrids and irons are R -- might have to go for accuracy and not balls out.

Okay no doubt about it, this thing is as long if not longer than my 913h. Even a crappy low runner still made it out there not too far off from the well struck crowd. The clincher for me is the higher ball flight and the stock 6.5 shaft is legit. Feels in control but with enough kick let you know you're not doing all the work. The 913h now has a place in the "B" bag though she won't be put out on the streets. She's earned a permanent spot in my collection.

Going to a demo day to try something XR hybrids today. I play a MP h4 3iron right now. Love that club so this should be interesting.

Been on the hunt for a deal on a 5h but nothing has popped up yet.....gonna be a challenge I think to not go new.

Ended up buying a XR 6 Hybrid to replace my 6 iron since I can't hit irons worth a crap. Was a little worried since I usually use my 6 iron to get out of trouble from under trees (you can see I'm a great golfer...cough, cough). However I found I can use my 7 iron the same way so no worries. The 6 Hybrid is working perfectly for me. I have no shame in bagging 4 hybrid clubs. Woods and Hybrids are what work for me, they make golf enjoyable.

Last edited:
Favorite. Hybrid. Ever.

I said it, and I'll own it.

Holy hell this little sucker is a launcher and it just wants to go long, high, and straight for me. The 6hy needs to happen so I can drop my 5i. I really think it does.

I'll also add, for me, I can't fathom needing or wanting to go to the pro.

Favorite. Hybrid. Ever.

Holy hell this little sucker is a launcher and it just wants to go long, high, and straight for me. The 6hy needs to happen so I can drop my 5i. I really think it does.

I have say, that's an impressive statement coming from you. I think this is one of the ones to keep an eye on, particularly in about a 3H.

I have say, that's an impressive statement coming from you. I think this is one of the ones to keep an eye on, particularly in about a 3H.

I freaking love it. Its ridiculous, that part of my bag is just SO "on" for me right now with this and the HW. Deck, tee, rough, whatever, when those numbers come up I don't even flinch anymore.

I really do want the 6hy to replace my 5i, but part of me thinks I could/should just go X2H there to make sure its what I want/need in the long haul.

I freaking love it. Its ridiculous, that part of my bag is just SO "on" for me right now with this and the HW. Deck, tee, rough, whatever, when those numbers come up I don't even flinch anymore.

I really do want the 6hy to replace my 5i, but part of me thinks I could/should just go X2H there to make sure its what I want/need in the long haul.

We're thinking along the same lines. It's why I went X2H with the 3h and then XR at 4h. Need to make sure it's what I need for pulling the trigger. 5h will happen with either X2H or XR.....haven't had a 6h since the Altitude but not opposed to it!

Favorite. Hybrid. Ever.

I recall you wanting to marry a certain Nike hybrid...

I recall you wanting to marry a certain Nike hybrid...
Yep, and I found better.

The Nike is phenomenal imo, and always will be, this is just better and more forgiving.

I always play what works best for me, regardless of brand. It so happens that Callaway is killing it.

Yep, and I found better.

The Nike is phenomenal imo, and always will be, this is just better and more forgiving.

I always play what works best for me, regardless of brand. It so happens that Callaway is killing it.

That's pretty awesome. Play what works as you always say. The Nike definitely suits the eye better and has great performance. I haven't hit the XR yet but I will soon. Looking for a 4-5 hybrid.

Back