What's your preferred distance/club for approach shots?

Ron S

Reaction score
Handicap
When laying up your 2nd shot on a long par 5 for example, do you just grab 3 wood and get as close to the green as you can or is there a preferred distance you're always trying to layup to so you can hit a particular club?

I like to pull 3 wood because it's fun to see if I can hit it well, but in my quest to break 90 I know I need to manage to my strengths and weaknesses better.

250 and in I will go for it if there is no trouble around or between me and the green. Trouble or water around and I'm laying up unless I'm within 200 yards. Anything over 250 and I'm laying up to give me a third shot from about 100 yards.

If you can hit your 3wood well, then hit it! If not, find the best lay up yardage and play to there.

This is all dependent on bunkers/hazards and such in the target ranges.

If I'm laying up, I'm trying to get to right around 100-110 yards if possible. Full or choked up full GW from there for me, which is green light.

If I'm out of position off the tee then I'll lay up to about 110metres which is a perfect distance for me with my PW. I can hit it way further than that but a 3/4 swing produces a nice low shot that spins like mad. It's super controllable and repeatable. If I'm in the open and in reach of the green I'm going for it and relying on my short game to get me up and down from almost anywhere.

Last edited:
Regardless of situation, my ideal layup distance is 115 yards. A full swing with my set gap wedge.

If I can get at least around the green on a Par 5 and there's no danger, I hit the 3W. If I'm laying up I hit to 110. Solid 54*.

Either 110 or 120. Full shot wedge is what I'm looking for,

70 yards +or- 10 is perfect for me. Anything inside of 100 is OK. I always play to a number when laying up.

If there is no sand or trouble around the green I'll try and get as close as possible. Otherwise I'll lay up to 85-100 yards.

110 would be a perfect layup for me. That's a nice smooth GW. I had been trying to go for it if there's no trouble in front of me, but since laying up on Par 5's when I've over 220 out, my scoring on Par 5's has improved dramatically.

My preferred distance is 6 inches. Or closer if possible.

When laying up on a par 5 anything inside of 125 is fine with me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am looking for 85 yards in, that will give the best look at birdie, hopefully.

If I definitely can't reach it in two but there are no hazards around the green (excluding bunkers) and the hole layout, pin position and lie allow it, I will hit the 3 and get as close as possible to the green.

If circumstances necessitate a layup then I'm just looking to get it anywhere from 90-120 yards, it doesn't have to be precise.

Usually 110 to 120. A full wedge from there for me.

I don't really have a specific yardage to lay up. Anything inside of 150 is good with me, although if I can get inside 100 that is better. If I make the decision to not go for the green, I just want a good position in the fairway. If I feel comfortable enough I'll pull the 3 wood or hybrid and go for the green, but with a bad lie or a bunch of trouble I'll lay up.

About 100 yards seems pretty good unless I can get within 50.

88-92 yards is my preferred full lob wedge. I laid up to that distance 3 times on par 5's on my last round and made two birdies. I lay up almost always when I'm outside of 235 and often inside that distance if the green is heavily protected with bunkers and/or water.

Right around 100 yards is best for me. If the pin is in a crazy location I'll sometimes try to get even closer.

I'll go for the green generally if I can reach unless there is trouble with water or sand. If there is trouble, I'll lay up and be happy with anything from 80-140.

110 yards is my magic spot. I hit my U wedge dead on a that distance. So I will most often try to lay up as close as I can get to there.
If it is 220 or less to the green I go for it

100-110 for me. I seem to get good control at that range. Now if I can just hit to that number....

Its a good question and I have a bit of a different answer than most.
I don't play to a certain distance but rather consider "all" factors when making my decision.

Where am I hitting from after my initial drive?
What is my lie?
Which club gives me the best chance to hit based on my lie?
Which area of the fairway closer in looks to be the better landing area and what club is required for me to get there from my current place and is it very doable with my current lie?

Going for a preferred yardage is sort of a moot point if and when the shot to get there is a lower percentage shot to begin with. What I mean is lets say one desires to be 110 out but that is a less desirable landing area and/or a very difficult shot from your current position and current lie. The whole purpose of desiring the 110 is because one wants to play to his strengths and higher percentages but if the shot you need to take to get there from your current position and scenario is going to be one of your weakest shots with lower percentages than the plan kind of backfires doesn't it? At least it does imo. I feel if one wants to manage to higher percentages than there really is no set distance to play to,
but only to play to whatever one is currently faced with and than take the higher percentage route from there.
We can plan to get to position "A" and then position "B" however it all of course only works if all the shots are made. Soon as anything for position "A" has (due to the shot) changed even a little, than so may the entire plan.

Back