Fractured my ribs for the seconded time

Plinyyounger

Magistrate Ancient Rome
Reaction score
Handicap
fake peopl
I'm super frustrated but I think I'm to blame. I'm 50, just came back to the game last June. When I decide to do,something I go all in, bought new clubs and everything else but spent too much time on the range, fractured two ribs in my right side. Thought it was a strain, or muscle pull and kept reinjuring them. Didn't know what really happened until I felt a pop and had a cat scan, 6 and 7th ribs, fractured. Took 8 weeks off and I make sure I stretch well and no real problems. I was able to play regularly since November 2014.

well crap, I did it again! I played 5 days in a row and I've fractured my left side! Ugh! I have felt some discomfort for a month or so, but nothing serious, now though I'm full blow in pain. Looks like I'll have to work on my short game for several weeks! I'll make the best of it!

note to others who are middle aged and play a lot, stretch, stretch stretch, stretch. Especially prior to range practice.

by the time I'm ready to come back, I should be able to chip and pitch anything in!

ken

Holy crap swing easy my friend

That sucks! Hope you heal quickly. I know at 53, I have to take it easy. Not like being 18 anymore.

Yikes how does that just happen? Be careful

Sorry to hear that man! I know what rib issues are like, had a bad case of costochondritis a few years ago caused by hitting too many balls, and had to put away the clubs for nearly a whole year

Yikes how does that just happen? Be careful

Well since I'm a two time expert now it happens normally from over use and/or lack of sufficient warmup. I can tell you from experience, if you have pain in your ribs, do not write it off as a muscle or cartlidge strain. Take it seriously. Ice it, stretch it and rest it. Or if you are unluckly like me, you will actually feel it pop and then you are out for 8 weeks!

the first time I did it last year, I was stubborn and clueless, I probably refractured them a few times before my doctor showed me how dumb I am and demanded 8 weeks off. Learn from me and don't go down that road.

Yep the twisting can do it, apparently it is not so uncommon. But it FRICKEN hurts!

Btw, I don't have a crazy or unorthodox swing, a smooth 91-93 club head speed, not jerky or weird. Just over did it over several days.

ken

Last edited:
Ouch and double ouch! Both sides!? Hope you heal quickly

Ouch is right! I've never heard of fracturing ribs from hitting balls. I definitely do focus on flexibility and golf specific strength exercises now that I'm 50. Good luck and heal fast.

Last June, I was at a conference for a couple of days (sitting in a chair at a lecture hall @ Wharton) and when it was done, I raced right out to the range in the afternoon and started hitting balls. After about 10 balls I had a pain in my left side. Couldn't complete a swing without pulling up and pain so I stopped and went home. Talked to my brother who is an orthopedic surgeon and it sounded like a muscle tear to him. Couple of days later, my wife noticed a bruise there (it was on the side and not in a place I would have noticed easily).

I'm 57 and all my life never had any problems but now I realize I have to warm up gently to get loose. I swing a 7 iron real easy (starting by hitting easy swings to 80 yards) and gradually lengthen them out until I am at full tempo.

Not golf related but in early March I was in Istanbul and getting out of a cab at the hotel. As I was going in, I realized my camera had fallen out of my pocket so I went sprinting after the cab. Not a good idea. After 30 yards, my left calf muscle popped and I came up limping. Spent the next 5 days limping around in crutches. I was able to start hitting balls a couple of weeks later but that leg still swells a little by the end of the day.

I didn't catch the cab but the hotel was able to contact the cab company and have them get my camera back to me.

That sucks....broken ribs are really painful.

If it makes you feel better I might have torn my rotator cuff at ice hockey tonight. I'm trying to keep it from swelling right now and see how it feels in the morning. Crossing my fingers. I leave Thursday for a 4 day golf trip to ft Myers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow....broken ribs from golf? That sucks ! Hope you heal quickly !

Get well. And have your bone density checked. Seriously.

Easy there killer! Heal up good!

I am sorry to hear, wishing you a speedy recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You must be using those muscles quite hard for you to be able to pop some ribs!

Take care and try remember practicing the short game is actually a good thing: that's where the money (score) is made!

Get well soon :)

wow it does suck being old, I'm 55. But compared to some of these above mentioned injuries I'm lucky I guess. The worst so far for for me is just seizing up a bit. I limit my self to no more than 4 days in a row, not risking a injury due age.

Heal up qwkly guys.

wow it does suck being old, I'm 55. But compared to some of these above mentioned injuries I'm lucky I guess. The worst so far for for me is just seizing up a bit. I limit my self to no more than 4 days in a row, not risking a injury due age.

Heal up qwkly guys.

Yep you got it, I think the 5 days in row did it. Motrin and ice, then about 4-6 weeks with no swings, I should be as good as new!

Makes me a little more OK with my slower than normal swing speed. Get well.

Back