Heavier equipment

Trevor68

Reaction score
Handicap
Even though I've never had a particularly high SS (mid 90s driver SS), i have come to realize during the past year that heavier equipment does wonders for my game.
It all started with my driver, I went from a standard 50g 45.5 inch shaft to a 70g 43.5 inch shaft and it radically improved my driving stats. After that, I switched from a standard mallet putter to a heavy counterbalanced Scotty Cameron. I trimmed about 7 strokes per round with that change. It really calmed down my stroke.
I am now considering going heavier on my irons and hybrids. I currently use Nippon NS Pros 950 which are around 90g shafts.
For those that have gone heavier with your irons, did you go just 10-20grams heavier or a lot more?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i am very similar to you. driver ss is high 90s barely creeps into the 100s. and i do so much better with heavier equipment. driver shaft pushing 70g, fw shaft mid 70s, iron shafts in the 120s. i'm currently gaming iron shafts in the mid 100s, and will likely end up switching out to something heavier at some point.

my issue isn't tempo; my issue is plane. if the shaft is too light, i can't feel where everything is and i really struggle to make center face contact. so while i may pick up some ss with a lighter shaft, contact suffers and that's the biggest factor for my distance.

I need lighter better LA for me.

I am not sure, I have been going through some swing changes and got fit into 50g shaft for my driver and low 60g shafts for my FW woods. I like the results I am getting especially out of my FW woods.

But my Hybrid is an 85g shaft (figured I would have been in the low 70s, but fitting showed the 85g was better) and I LOVE what I am getting out of it right now.

My iron shafts are 84g or so, will probably get fit for them later this year and see what works best.

Even though I've never had a particularly high SS (mid 90s driver SS), i have come to realize during the past year that heavier equipment does wonders for my game.
It all started with my driver, I went from a standard 50g 45.5 inch shaft to a 70g 43.5 inch shaft and it radically improved my driving stats. After that, I switched from a standard mallet putter to a heavy counterbalanced Scotty Cameron. I trimmed about 7 strokes per round with that change. It really calmed down my stroke.
I am now considering going heavier on my irons and hybrids. I currently use Nippon NS Pros 950 which are around 90g shafts.
For those that have gone heavier with your irons, did you go just 10-20grams heavier or a lot more?

Did you also add weight to your driver head? I have been thinking about trying heavier also. I can swing my orange whip on plane but it doesn't always transfer to driver.

When I was fitted for my irons I tried a range of different weights and flexes before deciding on the ones I have

I tried a couple KBS shafts and the lighter Nippon shafts, and although they gave me a slightly higher club head speed I just didn't have the same feeling of control with them that I do with the NS Pro Modus3 Tour 130 shafts that I ended up being fitted for

These shafts gave me the best combination of distance and dispersion from what I tried and I could happily use them for a long time

I have much better dispersion with heavier shafts in my scoring irons and wedges. For me the best are the X100 AMT's which start at 132 grams and get 3 grams progressively lighter with each club as you move down the set.

Did you also add weight to your driver head? I have been thinking about trying heavier also. I can swing my orange whip on plane but it doesn't always transfer to driver.

I did! I have a Fly Z driver and switched its 8g weight for a 17g weight. Love that i can feel the head and, at impact, it feels like a true smash.

I'm in the same boat. I was nervous when I got fit for my irons because I ended up with the KBS tour v 110's but the results didn't lie. I had tour v 90's prior and to be honest my speed on the monitor with a 7 iron didn't degrade much if at all with the heavier shaft.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I did! I have a Fly Z driver and switched its 8g weight for a 17g weight. Love that i can feel the head and, at impact, it feels like a true smash.

I'm a slow swinger and I very much prefer a heavier driver head. Lighter drivers designed for speed, I spray all over the place. I'm far more consistent with a heavier head.

I added weights to my driver head and it really helped. I have a bad tendency to get quick at the top and I think the heavier the better helps me with that.

I think there's a balance, and based on how a person swings there's a "right" weight for everyone. For me, I've found that the 110-120g range in irons is my sweet spot. There just taking a natural swing has me striking the ball better. If I go much lighter or much heavier I feel I have to "think" more about the shot, if that makes any sense.

Of course, shaft profiles come into play here as well.

I think there's a balance, and based on how a person swings there's a "right" weight for everyone. For me, I've found that the 110-120g range in irons is my sweet spot. There just taking a natural swing has me striking the ball better. If I go much lighter or much heavier I feel I have to "think" more about the shot, if that makes any sense.

Of course, shaft profiles come into play here as well.
Totally agree. I tally believe there's a combination of total weight and swing weight that suits an individual person. Finding it is tough

Totally agree. I tally believe there's a combination of total weight and swing weight that suits an individual person. Finding it is tough

It's impressive how much it clicks when you find it though. The new set of Apex I got with the recoils - I haven't been able to do much other than hit some pitch shots with the wedges. But it's amazing how comfortable it feels and the contact I'm making, coming from about ~130g in that club before.

Back