What is Your Current Perception of Golf Brands?

Many refer to price with them because of the cost of the golf ball.
Makes sense. But the pro v' s are only 3 dollars more than the new taylormade ball.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Makes sense. But the pro v' s are only 3 dollars more than the new taylormade ball.

And both the ProV's and the TM's are the two most expensive balls on the market (no, I'm not including Honma until they are readily available), and one of those is the only 5 layer tour ball on the market.

And both the ProV's and the TM's are the two most expensive balls on the market (no, I'm not including Honma until they are readily available), and one of those is the only 5 layer tour ball on the market.
I'm not saying the pro v is an affordable option, frankly I only played them when I was signed to a ball contract with them. But basing an entire company as being expensive based on the golf ball is misleading

I'm not saying the pro v is an affordable option, frankly I only played them when I was signed to a ball contract with them. But basing an entire company as being expensive based on the golf ball is misleading

Is it though? Or is it just part of the equation for some people? Genuinely posing that question and not attacking them as I agree with you on the gear price discussion, hell I like Titleist despite what some might think here.

Remember, the golf ball IS what keeps Titleist chugging along, even as renowned as Vokeys are and SC putters, the golf ball is the driving force so its no wonder some think of that first.

Is it though? Or is it just part of the equation for some people? Genuinely posing that question and not attacking them as I agree with you on the gear price discussion, hell I like Titleist despite what some might think here.

Remember, the golf ball IS what keeps Titleist chugging along, even as renowned as Vokeys are and SC putters, the golf ball is the driving force so its no wonder some think of that first.
I'm not trying to attack anyone's opinion. However, when phrased as expensive someone who may not know the landscape of the golf club market might not even look at say an AP1 when it could very easily be in their price range. I think Titleist has transformed themselves from being a better player company to include a much broader spectrum of players from their drivers all the way down to their wedges and I think it goes largely unnoticed by the majority of golfers.

I'm not trying to attack anyone's opinion. However, when phrased as expensive someone who may not know the landscape of the golf club market might not even look at say an AP1 when it could very easily be in their price range. I think Titleist has transformed themselves from being a better player company to include a much broader spectrum of players from their drivers all the way down to their wedges and I think it goes largely unnoticed by the majority of golfers.

Aaaaaaaaaaand I'm not arguing that, at all. What I'm presenting is merely that the ball does matter in the grand scheme of perception when its the piece of equipment that the company themselves puts out there more than anything else. It makes sense to see people taking that into the equation.

Beyond that, like it or not, there is an aura/perception surrounding the brand as a whole. But, its one they are beginning to truly change and that is a lot of fun to see.

I'm sure I'll ruffle feathers, and that is why I've all but given up talking Titleist in threads, but I think this is a great conversation and definitely worth discussing all angles.

Aaaaaaaaaaand I'm not arguing that, at all. What I'm presenting is merely that the ball does matter in the grand scheme of perception when its the piece of equipment that the company themselves puts out there more than anything else. It makes sense to see people taking that into the equation.

Beyond that, like it or not, there is an aura/perception surrounding the brand as a whole. But, its one they are beginning to truly change and that is a lot of fun to see.

I'm sure I'll ruffle feathers, and that is why I've all but given up talking Titleist in threads, but I think this is a great conversation and definitely worth discussing all angles.
Yeah i can absolutely seeing the ball dominating a conversations. The company even had an exclusive ball rep for many territories for a while. I'm happy to see them broadening their focus however and think it's good for golf

I can see someone associating Titleist as an expensive company since you basically can't get a discount. However, you'd have to say the same thing about PING. I do think the balls are good, but overpriced. I don't know if that feeling extends across the brand as a whole (at least for me).

I actually see a lot of similarities between Titleist and PING when it comes to clubs. They're always great all around clubs for me, and I'd be able to play a full bag of either of them without issue. But there might be other brands that are more "tech forward" across individual segments. And that draws me in. As Jman said though, it does feel like there's a bit of change in the air at Titleist, and I feel like that's a good thing.

Yeah i can absolutely seeing the ball dominating a conversations. The company even had an exclusive ball rep for many territories for a while. I'm happy to see them broadening their focus however and think it's good for golf

Shoot yes it is dude, the more the merrier and the better for all of us.

Taylormade - Marketing marketing marketing. Make good products but will scream in your face to let you know it too

Callaway - The brand who does something for literally everyone and does it all well. Can't really make a bad decision going with callaway at the moment

Titleist: Premium brand, sells itself by being elegant and performs. Although I also think it gives off a bit of an air of being unobtainable for the average golfer when they aren't that much more expensive

Ping: Feel slightly more premium than the likes of taylormade or callaway, I think just because you see them a lot less. Also some of the prettiest clubs available

Cleveland: Wedges and best bang for buck putters .

Srixon: Good balls

Bridgestone: never tried any of their products

Mizuno: Feel like a brand for the more golf obsessed, like you wouldn't see a occasional social player with miuzno. Super elegant clubs too

Cobra: As a kid in the 90s for some reason always had this thought that Cobra was THE brand to have, after getting the F7 I'm much more interested in them as a brand

Wilson Staff: Kind of the opposite to titleist, a "budget" brand who makes really nice clubs but because they are "budget" I think it puts some golfers off. Also need to work on the styling of their game improvement irons, because their player irons are really nice.

Taylormade - One of the big box brands of golf. They do have some quality items, M2 drivers, and a few of their pro line irons and what not. New balls seem popular

Bottom Line: B+ brand. If I see a bag full of taylormade, I assume the guy sacrificed quality in places for brand loyalty.

Callaway - One of the only brands that has a complete line up. Epic, Apex Pro, Mack Daddy, Odyssey.

Bottom Line: A full bag of these and I can assume no quality is lost for brand loyalty.

Titleist: Purist is a good word for these guys. Another top of the line brand that could fill a whole bag.

Bottom Line: Same as above

Ping: Under rated is exactly where I put these guys. They have an entire line minus wedges. The glides are not my favorite, so I won't give them the A+ rating.

Bottom Line: B+ brand because of lack of balls and good wedges

Cleveland: Love their wedges and putters

Bottom Line: short game only nowadays, but good stuff. Solid A in those arenas.

Srixon: B+ irons, ok woods

Bottom Line: B- overall

Bridgestone: Great balls, underrated irons

Bottom Line: B+ reputation as a company

Mizuno: Amazing irons, good wedges, average woods

Bottom Line: The most used iron my non-sponsored tour players. Speaks to it's own quality.

Edit:

Cobra: A solid near full line up brand woods, irons and wedges. no balls or putters

Bottom Line: B for cool looks and good quality.

Wilson Staff: Trying to climb back into the market after becoming a cheapie brand. C+

Bottom Line: Hopefully they keep churning out quality. Love their balls, and some of their irons.

Back