Trying To Break 90 Club

I had another meltdown today. I was playing okay on the front nine, got out with a 46, but I was playing pretty well, two penalty shots cost me being over 45.

the on the back 9, I fell apart, couldn't remember how to hold a club... and played 54!!!!, that sucks, I know I am better than that.

I had another meltdown today. I was playing okay on the front nine, got out with a 46, but I was playing pretty well, two penalty shots cost me being over 45.

the on the back 9, I fell apart, couldn't remember how to hold a club... and played 54!!!!, that sucks, I know I am better than that.
I feel your pain, Marty. If you ever figure why we lose a good smooth swing mid round and it suddenly feels awkward, let me know. Happened to me last round too. Luckily it was just the last couple holes.

That sucks man. Keep grinding man you will get there. Just forget it and get ready for the next round.

I am going into tomorrow's round just focused on 2 things spine angle and weight Shift. Trying to keep things simple and just see how it goes

Shot 96 yesterday at a local semi-private club. Overall, very happy as it was one day after a lesson at Golf Galaxy. Instructor completely changed my backswing. I was way outside on my takeaway (almost vertical) and was getting very little to no shoulder turn.

Took a few holes to really get a feel for it. Best shots were on a par 4 playing about 340 yds. Hit a drive straight down the fairway (one of only a few as I really struggled off the tee). SW from 99yds to 6' and drained the birdie. Also hit a PW to a 127yd par 3 right over the flag to the back fringe.

My irons were so much better compared to my last few rounds. Much more consistent and fewer fat shots which had plagued me for awhile. Hopefully if I can get the driver straightened out, I can be challenging the 90 mark regularly by the mid to late summer. That's my goal anyway.

I am going into tomorrow's round just focused on 2 things spine angle and weight Shift. Trying to keep things simple and just see how it goes

Good swing thoughts. Smooth back swing and downswing should help with the weight shift and keep spine angle. No overswingin

That sucks man. Keep grinding man you will get there. Just forget it and get ready for the next round.

I feel your pain, Marty. If you ever figure why we lose a good smooth swing mid round and it suddenly feels awkward, let me know. Happened to me last round too. Luckily it was just the last couple holes.
Thanks guys , it feels good to know im not alone . i am taking a break tomorrow and will be back at it on monday

Good swing thoughts. Smooth back swing and downswing should help with the weight shift and keep spine angle. No overswingin
Yeah that is one of my major problems. I start a round with this mentality but then mid round I give up for some stupid reason. My goal is to maintain this mentality for the whole round.

I also need to work on grip pressure especially when I get nervous I grip the club like I am playing hockey again. That never works out well haha

Yeah that is one of my major problems. I start a round with this mentality but then mid round I give up for some stupid reason. My goal is to maintain this mentality for the whole round.

I also need to work on grip pressure especially when I get nervous I grip the club like I am playing hockey again. That never works out well haha
And not too many swing thoughts, it'll paralyze your swing. Save all those for practice. Enjoy the round, and remember, the Caps are playing golf now too :)

And not too many swing thoughts, it'll paralyze your swing. Save all those for practice. Enjoy the round, and remember, the Caps are playing golf now too :)
Thanks always forget to do that during my rounds.

Yeah Yeah still #salty

Thanks always forget to do that during my rounds.

Yeah Yeah still #salty
You and me both and the Sabres have been playing golf a lot longer than your guys :)

You're not alone. Played the local 9 hole today.

Had a great first hole - 195 par 3; made bogey (a good score for me on that hole) then completely forgot how to play golf and dropped a 9 on the 2nd.

Bounced back with par on 3 which felt good... very glad that I didn't stay down in the dumps after the 9.

Ended up with a +13 48 over 9 holes. The weather was nice and the course was empty so I ended up playing about 25 holes (not all that smart for this out of shape middle aged guy).

If the weather is good tomorrow I'll take another shot at 90.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You and me both and the Sabres have been playing golf a lot longer than your guys :)

Not to mention the Blues... sigh

when I get nervous I grip the club like I am playing hockey again. That never works out well haha

You put your low hand partway down the shaft? :p

Keep grinding. It's only a matter of time before you put two good nines together on the same card.

Still flirting with 90... teed off after the rain passed this morning... looked up to track my ball and saw a fantastic rainbow stretching across the sky. A good omen, right?

Didn't get to 90 but I did match my personal best with a 47/46 for 93. I had one meltdown hole but didn't let it get to me.

The rainbow mojo paid off on the par 5 9th. Hit my driver and laid up for my approach (125 over water). I hit my 9 thin and was just ready to reach for another ball when it skipped twice across the water and rolled up to about 15 feet. Made the putt for birdie.

I'm new here but will put my $0.02 in. If you are a low to mid 90 player then I would review your previous rounds and find out where you lost strokes you shouldn't have and then try to determine why. Sometimes it can be a very simple fix of doing a better job of course management. Did you really need to hit that driver that sent you into the woods or got you wet? The first time I broke 90 I recall thinking before every shot where the danger was and taking a club that limited my exposure to it.

97 I really don't belong in this thread anymore.

97 I really don't belong in this thread anymore.

You absolutely belong in this thread. Just because you're not trending downward doesn't mean the goal is not attainable. Conversely why do you think people that are breaking 90 consistently are still in here? It's to give positive encouragement to those that are going through the journey they went through.

You absolutely belong in this thread. Just because you're not trending downward doesn't mean the goal is not attainable. Conversely why do you think people that are breaking 90 consistently are still in here? It's to give positive encouragement to those that are going through the journey they went through.
Thanks. Just frustrated with how I played overall but really it was 4 holes that just killed my score. The first blow up hole just shook my confidence and I didn't recover from there.

Made some putts and hit some good golf shots just frustrated... It sucks because I know I can play better than I did today

Crest if it helps I shot 86 last Sunday, 102 Friday and an even 100 today.

I was lousy off the tee today. Simple as that.

Crest if it helps I shot 86 last Sunday, 102 Friday and an even 100 today.

I was lousy off the tee today. Simple as that.
Yeah I hear that. I was decent off the tee except for 3 holes and they were 2 8s and a 7 on Par 4s just brutal. Amazing how just a few holes can kill what would have been a decent score, well for me haha

Yeah I had two ocho's and a seven today all due to bad tee shots. Wasted seven strokes there

Yeah I had two ocho's and a seven today all due to bad tee shots. Wasted seven strokes there
Yeah I feel your pain man. After one of those holes my mental game struggles and bad

Was so close today to break 90. Shot 45/45-90... Issues I would say I had today were greens were super slow and it was windy like no other. Buy man it stinks when you get the right read on the ball and just get it to a inch or a foot and miss it. Oh well there's always next time.

Back