What causes you to play bad?

After a bad hole, I try to play a superhero to make up for it and it gets worse.

Or, being self employed, getting a phone call that forces me to rush.

Jack

Last edited:
Swinging way too flat which I am working on constantly at my range. I practiced today while keeping my club head outside my hands on the take away and was killing my irons.

The fact that this is only my second full year of playing golf ... still learning how to play this game, but hopefully making solid progress.

My general state of health hurts me so much. Being tired and worn down from a week of trying to make rate (flat rate technician at a Dodge dealer). bad knees and shoulders from arthritis, hands pounding and it hurts to hit irons and hybrids.

Right now my right wrist huts so much I didn't even attempt to go out. Also only been playing about 1 year or so. I've learned tons and have a long way to go. This doesn't help.

As far as on the course concerns has been and will always be the Tee shot. If I can learn to hit a tee shot I'll be fine.

Mark Shuman

Focus, tempo and ill-advised risk (like trying a shot from a bad lie when I should just take the medicine and move on)

I wish I knew, so I could stop playing bad. :beat-up: Everyone raves that I have a "great swing."

Things spiral downhill after a bad shot or series of bad shots.

Every now & then I have one of those rounds where my swing feels totally unnatural & its hard to shake off.

Most of the time it's mainly my swing, if I'm not comfortable I can't play well, if I can eliminate one half of the course then my day will be better.

I always start to play bad when I see other people wearing jeans.
That really gets in my head :bomb:

I'd be tearing ya arse up back at Lake Jonesco :deadhorse:

Two problems. #1 is looking up, can really lead to big numbers. Harder I try the worse it seems to get. #2 is thinking too much, play best when I just get distance pick a club and swing.

If I get too flat and start hooking it bad, it's all over but the crying.

Working on limiting that miss, because it's my killer.

If I get too flat and start hooking it bad, it's all over but the crying.

Working on limiting that miss, because it's my killer.
The flat swing hooks are a tough one to kick. I'm so glad those days are behind me.

The flat swing hooks are a tough one to kick. I'm so glad those days are behind me.
No joke. My last lesson and range sessions have been encouraging though. Focusing on being a little more vertical and it's resulted in my hitting everything better.

Trying too hard and failing. Feeling rushed. Fatigue (15 holes is the perfect length for a course). Not doing what I was doing during my lessons. And injuries (bad shoulder, knee).

When I try to swing instead of just swing.

Being bad is reason enough imo. The question is, why do I play well sometimes.

1) overswinging
2) lack of focus and concentration
3) wanting too hard to play well
4) alcohol
5) a ****** person in my foursome (you know what I'm talking about, a non-THPer)

Swinging too hard.

Bad short game.

I'm fairly consistent with long game. I'm going to make my shots and I'm going to miss a few.

When I can get up and down consistently from just off the green and knock the 50 yard pitches close I'll approach 80 of not I'm looking at 84-90.

Trying to figure out my swing rather than just going out and swinging. I've found I play worse when I warm up with anything other than some half wedges and a few "grip it and rip it" driver swings. Pre-round is no time for tinkering.

my putting. If it's off it starts getting me in a bad state of mind.

Golf is day to day even for the best players in the world. You can't be dead on everyday. Too much "life" gets in the way some days.

I have no idea what causes me to play bad or good. My last 3 rounds are 100 81 and 94. For the 81 I had barely slept for the last few days because of the pain from an infected wisdom tooth.

Maybe I should just get someone to punch me in the face before a round and I'll shot another good score :banghead:

A bad hole leading me to start playing golf swing instead of golf.

All between the ears.

Same here! A lot of times it's something dumb like poor alignment on shot, and not knowing it, that can send me down that slippery slope for few holes.

For me... Over thinking everything. And when I swing or standing there to swing I have like a check list of what I got to do. I think that gets me. Then putting not getting the speed right and over analyzing the line.

Back